Concussion (the movie)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kids running in with heads down....garbage coaching.
I agree that kids playing full contact football at 7-9 years old is not a great deal. If I had to do it over again I would no have started my son that early, although he wanted to play.
I would like to see flag football to a certain age then contact.

I remember in HS we did those drills like at the end of that 2nd youtube video and our coaches would n line us up 10+ yds from each other and say run full speed and tackle the ball carrier. I mean some of us were like wtf, they are trying to make us kill each other because it's not that often you have a clear shot at someone who won't try to just avoid the hit/tackle within a 10+yard distance. And even 1 particular day I'm pretty sure they were drunk and I swear the split was atleast 15yds. We had bad coaches but they did tell us to keep your head up when hitting.... we had alot of talent but never made it anywhere. Even had a few guys make the nfl and stay for awhile. Richardson, the Dt that plays for the jets but was suspended this year (I forgot his 1st name) that was drafted from mizzou... well is brother Shaun, was 2yrs under me but he started at De opposite me. I taught him everything he knew his sophomore year. I just thought that was cool becuase he worked out for a few nfl teams but I think he ultimately played in canada.

rams2050

Starter
60 Minutes spotlighted the good doctor and they made him look like a saint, as well. In fact, this movie appears to be a longer, better-funded version of the 60 Minutes segment, only with Will Smith playing the lead.

I think the NFL has played fast and loose with players' health for a long time. The powers-that-be have gotten filthy rich on the backs -- and destroyed brains -- of the players, many of whom played when money wasn't all that good. It is absolutely reprehensible that the league had to be sued to get them to pony up even the around $1 billion that they now say they will pay in settlements and health care costs. At $1 billion, they are getting off cheap -- and what about all of those who have died in the meantime?? Or have suffered without compensation? Shameful.

We can sit here and say that the players SHOULD have known that they were injuring their health but, in reality, how many of these guys are known for being incredibly intelligent? A few years of playing college ball and then for the NFL and they often may be even LESS intelligent, thanks to repeated head trauma.

I ride horses -- a lot, which means I get thrown from time to time. I have been thrown badly, though, only twice in my life -- once resulting in a knock-out and once resulting in my 'seeing stars.' I have some problem now with my memory and I can't help but wonder if those two incidents could be implicated? It is not terrible; at least not yet, and I'm hoping that it doesn't get terrible, either. But I'm not sure I ever would have connected the head trauma to memory problems were it not for the segment on this doctor and his battle with the NFL and the ongoing discussions about all the players who have committed suicide as a result of the brain trauma.

I ride while wearing a helmet now -- and did when I was thrown and 'saw stars' -- but helmets, as you all know, can only do so much.

I love watching football, though, and I used to love watching those high impact collisions but, you know? A little of the thrill has gone out of it to be replaced with an "OMG!" when I realize what I just saw and what it might mean for the player(s) involved. Like the Case Keenum incident. I pray for all of them that they get out BEFORE lasting damage has been done to them (although how much head trauma is just 'the right amount)? Probably NO head trauma!

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
3) I've always known concussions came with the potential for lifelong problems. I've known this since I can remember. I suffered a pretty gnarly one playing a game of flag football (head on head collision). My job is dangerous and ive suffered injuries doing it. There are huge risks and we're paid well for that reason. That said, I love what I do. I wouldn't want people who have chosen a safer career to be appalled and get together and legislate changes for what I do.

I agree. Listen, EVERY NFL player understands the risks of this violent game.
Yet they are ALL willing to accept those risks, in trade for great money and fame.
No one is forcing them to play football and be worshiped by millions of fans. They should leave if they don't like the physical risks. They CAN leave any minute they want. And others should not act like the current NFL players are being fooled about how dangerous it is. They know, yet they don't care.

Athos

Legend
I'm not entirely sure your average NFL player does know the risks?

In general? Yea, maybe. The physical danger like breaks and such are easy to understand.

How many of these guys truly understand the brain and what exactly can go wrong. Maybe not immediately but down the line.

Anxiety, depression, memory loss, nerve damage, psychological symptoms of CTE.

I know, despite lovzing football, I'd never let any future son play the game.

ViennaMax

Rookie
that film hasn't and probably will never arrive here in europe - is it featuring case keenum? :sneaky:

RamWoodie

Legend
60 Minutes spotlighted the good doctor and they made him look like a saint, as well. In fact, this movie appears to be a longer, better-funded version of the 60 Minutes segment, only with Will Smith playing the lead.

I think the NFL has played fast and loose with players' health for a long time. The powers-that-be have gotten filthy rich on the backs -- and destroyed brains -- of the players, many of whom played when money wasn't all that good. It is absolutely reprehensible that the league had to be sued to get them to pony up even the around $1 billion that they now say they will pay in settlements and health care costs. At $1 billion, they are getting off cheap -- and what about all of those who have died in the meantime?? Or have suffered without compensation? Shameful.

We can sit here and say that the players SHOULD have known that they were injuring their health but, in reality, how many of these guys are known for being incredibly intelligent? A few years of playing college ball and then for the NFL and they often may be even LESS intelligent, thanks to repeated head trauma.

I ride horses -- a lot, which means I get thrown from time to time. I have been thrown badly, though, only twice in my life -- once resulting in a knock-out and once resulting in my 'seeing stars.' I have some problem now with my memory and I can't help but wonder if those two incidents could be implicated? It is not terrible; at least not yet, and I'm hoping that it doesn't get terrible, either. But I'm not sure I ever would have connected the head trauma to memory problems were it not for the segment on this doctor and his battle with the NFL and the ongoing discussions about all the players who have committed suicide as a result of the brain trauma.

I ride while wearing a helmet now -- and did when I was thrown and 'saw stars' -- but helmets, as you all know, can only do so much.

I love watching football, though, and I used to love watching those high impact collisions but, you know? A little of the thrill has gone out of it to be replaced with an "OMG!" when I realize what I just saw and what it might mean for the player(s) involved. Like the Case Keenum incident. I pray for all of them that they get out BEFORE lasting damage has been done to them (although how much head trauma is just 'the right amount)? Probably NO head trauma!
I think you're looking one sided! Let's not act like players don't bear responsibility too! Especially when the BIG MONEY start coming in.

Think about it bro...your body talks to you from what it suffers...if you don't listen...it's on you too! Don't tell me players don't realize when they suffer things like memory loss and headaches...but being short sighted they go for the money...because the money is RIGHT NOW.

Let's be real form both sides...because they both bear responsibility. The players knew and the NFL knew...but they both put the money first!

fearsomefour

Legend
I thought it was great. Loved the way they flipped the script on how most movies are made by making the focus of the movie the story rather than the characters telling the story.
Fair enough.
I will re watch it at some point I am sure.
I would give it a 7.5/10 kind of score.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm not entirely sure your average NFL player does know the risks?

In general? Yea, maybe. The physical danger like breaks and such are easy to understand.

How many of these guys truly understand the brain and what exactly can go wrong. Maybe not immediately but down the line.

Anxiety, depression, memory loss, nerve damage, psychological symptoms of CTE.

I know, despite lovzing football, I'd never let any future son play the game.
Maybe not. As we have seen recently it would make a difference for some, for others it would not. I think all the players need to be made aware but lineman, LBs in particular. These guys will have a lot of contact. The NFLPA has seen that contact is limited in practice, but, these guys will still have contact in practice more than other positions.
Its like boxing. Does a guy get brain damage from taking head shots in fights two to three times a year or is it the endless sparing rounds?
Technology with helmets, practice, training, recovery protocols....everything needs to be looked at. But, the risk will never totally be eliminated from the game. There will always be contact and hard hits, or guys getting thrown down and hitting their heads on the ground. My son played from when he was 8 or so till Junior year of High School. Didn't break my heart at all when he gave it up. I also think the young kids should stick to non contact football when they are young. A 6-9 year old isn't learning much at that age anyway.

Last edited: