Concussion (the movie)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Wow is all I can say about this movie. This movie gave me a new aspect about football in general and the NFL. The hits they have in the movie made the audience cringe and gasp, and the stuff wasnt staged it was real footage... there are a few scenes (real footage) where little leaguers were knocking each other out cold.... I mean cold! Little kids... How the NFL tried to cover the concussion thing up is down right awful. There were a few points in the movie where I said to myself I can't watch the nfl anymore. I know see why some up and coming players have retired after a few years in the league. I question now if I want my kids to play.

It started out slow but got interesting. if you're not a football fan you won't like the movie. And if you were born in the mid 90s or so you probably won't like it either because you won't catch some parts of the movie. There were a few rams appearances that made me smile. Lol and there was 1 scene where will Smith was talking to his girlfriend and I guess he forgot he was suppose to have a strong African accent.

fearsomefour

Legend
My problem with this issue and how it is being presented is things like Pop Warner players knocking each other rarely happens....very rarely. Trying to make a correlation between giant, grown men inflicting damage on one another and kids playing the game is a complete apples and oranges comparison. I am sure I will see the movie at some point and the NFL was shameful in its handling of injured players....just not concussions either.
However the hysteria over this is all a bit over the top when it comes to the lower levels.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
3 thoughts before I've seen it:

1) Football is violence.
It's many other things too, but for our society to one day go "Whoa whoa whoa. You mean this is bad for you???!!!" Is ridiculous.
It's violent and theres danger and that's one reason we love it.

2) The NFL is ran by billionaires and billionaires are never to be trusted to do the "right thing". Just the profitable thing. Shame on them for their attempts to cover this all up. The lie is always worse than the truth.

3) I've always known concussions came with the potential for lifelong problems. I've known this since I can remember. I suffered a pretty gnarly one playing a game of flag football (head on head collision). My job is dangerous and ive suffered injuries doing it. I've known coworkers who have been permanently injured and sometimes people die doing it. There are huge risks and we're paid well for that reason. That said, I love what I do. I wouldn't want people who have chosen a safer career to be appalled and get together and legislate changes for what I do. Right or wrong, that's just how I feel.

The NFL people responsible for burying the truth should face serious criminal charges,... beyond that? Let these men play.

Just my uninformed opinions before I've seen this movie.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

After seeing Hollywood butcher reality in the movie draft day i can only assume they do the same thing in this movie.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/12/23/concussion-movie-review-nfl

‘Concussion’: The Review
Billing itself as the movie the NFL does not want you to see, ‘Concussion’ delivers as a game-changing wakeup call but the blow is softened with its made-for-Hollywood love story. The real question: How will fans respond?
by Emily Kaplan

concussion-movie-review-the-mmqb.jpg

Getty Images :: Sports Illustrated

Concussion is a football movie that goes against the grain of its genre. Midway through the film, Dr. Bennet Omalu (Will Smith) explains the degenerative brain disease chronic traumatic encephalopathy to researchers at Carnegie Mellon by showing a picture of a woodpecker, whose brain remains unscathed despite ramming its head against a tree some 12,000 times a day.

The bird’s tongue, Omalu tells them, wraps from the back of its mouth, around the skull and through the nostril to protect its brain. When people hit their heads playing football, he says, their brains have no shock-absorbing safety belt.

To emphasize his point, Omalu shakes an egg inside a glass jar, mimicking how the brain moves around inside the skull. He also scribbles on a white board, diagramming S’s (Steelers) and O’s (other team) to demonstrate how linemen clash helmets with alarming volume.

“As a football fan, I do not like it,” one of the researchers says of Omalu’s findings. “But as a scientist, I can’t ignore it.”

The goal of this movie is a blunt as its title: to make football fans finally pay attention to science. There is no new information in Concussion, which dramatizes the story of the Nigerian-born pathologist who discovers CTE while performing the autopsy on Hall of Famer Mike Webster in Pittsburgh.

The unraveling post-career life of the longtime Steelers center, who suffered from depression and dementia (at times he lived out of his pickup truck) and died at the age 50, was chronicled in Jeanne Marie Laskas’s 2009 GQ article “Brain Game” and in the 2013 PBS documentary League of Denial.

In the movie, Webster’s undoing is portrayed in harrowing fashion by David Morse, the ubiquitous character actor whose formidable performance is worthy of an Oscar nomination.

Concussion bills itself as “the movie the NFL doesn’t want you to see”—and given that universal traction is often spurred by visual evidence, it’s not an outrageous claim. Remember, it was the video of Ray Rice punching his soon-to-be wife that forced the league to change.

So many indignities follow a similar pattern in professional football. Unless they’re thrust into the public consciousness on an emotional level, we often don’t want to pay attention or believe them.

Ensconced in an immigrant love story, the movie’s central thesis is that it’s taken an outsider to expose damaging truths about a corporation—a monolith that, according to the film’s dialogue, owns a day of the week that used to belong to the church. Omalu was the ultimate outsider who crusaded to not be silenced; even the 2009 GQ article asserted that the NFL actively undermined his findings to protect its sanctity (ahem, bottom line).

Though the movie’s narrative walks a tightrope between a clinical football story and a saccharine Omalu biopic, Will Smith’s familiar charm helps makes a complicated and uncomfortable topic accessible, with head trauma being explained on the order of a ninth-grade biology book.

I have seen the movie twice—a few months ago in New York at an intimate screening with director Peter Landesman, and more recently in Atlanta, at a showing for 70 retired NFL players. Concussion is intrinsically uncomfortable because it names names while assigning pathos to real-life figures, including commissioner Roger Goodell who (spoiler alert) is played by an unconvincing Luke Wilson (did your local CVS run out of red hair dye, Luke?).

Characters on the corporate level are purposely one-dimensional, the director’s way of establishing the NFL’s hear-no-evil, see-no-evil culture at the expense of human complexity and frailties.

Because he served on the board that ruled on ex-players’ disability claims, former Bears safety Dave Duerson is used as a vehicle to represent all of the NFL’s suits-and-ties with a villainous bent. The cinematic twist: He killed himself in 2011 and was later found to have suffered from CTE.

Duerson’s family told The New York Times that there are two scenes in Concussion that are entirely fabricated—Duerson’s blocking Omalu from entering an NFL-sponsored medical conference and Duerson’s brushing aside former teammate Andre Waters as he seeks help. “Got a headache? See a doctor,” Duerson says in their stormy exchange. The following scene shows Waters killing himself; he committed suicide in 2006.

Duerson’s former teammate Willie Gault, who has seen the movie twice and watched it once with the director, told The MMQB, “He was portrayed in a way that wasn’t exactly accurate. I told that to the director, but I also get it. It’s Hollywood and [Landesman] needed to use Dave Duerson to make a larger point.”

The creative license isn’t crippling. Concussion is about the men who played the game—and the risks they didn’t know they were taking. Consider what these NFL retirees told The MMQB after the Atlanta viewing:

“I watch this movie and I know we were paid to hurt people,” said Keith McCants, the fourth overall pick in the 1990 draft. “We were paid to give concussions. If we knew that we were killing people, I would have never put on the jersey.”

“When you watch that movie,” said Terry Bolar, who played three seasons before becoming an agent in 1992, “you see how much the NFL resembles tobacco companies.”

Michael Mann’s 1999 film, The Insider, exposed big tobacco by captivating and angering a nation addicted to a dangerous drug. Concussion, in much the same way, shines a light on another addiction and another public health issue. The film opens nationwide Christmas Day.

Over the next 48 hours, Week 16 of the NFL season will play out across the country. Over the next few months, we will see if football fans continue going with the grain.

fearsomefour

Legend
Duerson’s family told The New York Times that there are two scenes in Concussionthat are entirely fabricated—Duerson’s blocking Omalu from entering an NFL-sponsored medical conference and Duerson’s brushing aside former teammate Andre Waters as he seeks help. “Got a headache? See a doctor,” Duerson says in their stormy exchange. The following scene shows Waters killing himself; he committed suicide in 2006.
And this is the problem with movies "based" on real events. Fabrication, creative license or lying, call it what you want, is fine if it makes for a more entertaining movie. The problem is when stories are treated creatively and taken as gospel. The crappy part is all of this involves real people but all of it is entertainment.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
My problem with this issue and how it is being presented is things like Pop Warner players knocking each other rarely happens....very rarely. Trying to make a correlation between giant, grown men inflicting damage on one another and kids playing the game is a complete apples and oranges comparison. I am sure I will see the movie at some point and the NFL was shameful in its handling of injured players....just not concussions either.
However the hysteria over this is all a bit over the top when it comes to the lower levels.

Excellent point, man. The only Pop Warner I've ever seen is at the dome and those little kids don't have a whole lot of momentum. It's kinda like watching feathers hit each other. (Fun to watch them.)

I'm sure it happens from time to time, but it's not as big of an issue amongst kids as the movie evidently portrayed.

I hope to see that movie soon

As far as the big league hits, it's worth it. A hard hitting player has the same mentality as a boxer in my book. It's a contact sport.

Last edited:

WvuIN02

Starter
When you go from little kids to the double digits age range I think that changes, Ive seen it often, experienced it as well growing up. Once boys hit puberty (and some do early) you end up with goliaths clobbering little ones.

Its definitely something I would consider if I ever have kids, and hopefully science can create helmets that do a much better job.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not interested in seeing any movie where Hollywood tries to make a social statement "based on reality". Think about all the murders, guns, sadistic, and sexually-perverted films that they have produced for decades. Who's worse... the NFL or Hollywood? That said... I understand the risks associated with concussions and pray that the NFL can minimize the risk with the new concussion protocol.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Does any of this look like a good idea for a 7-9 year old.........I love football and don't want to see it go away, but these kids are a bit too young for this kind of stuff. Listen to the adults and what they say, look at the drills they are doing..........it's not cool IMO.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Not interested in seeing any movie where Hollywood tries to make a social statement "based on reality". Think about all the murders, guns, sadistic, and sexually-perverted films that they have produced for decades. Who's worse... the NFL or Hollywood? That said... I understand the risks associated with concussions and pray that the NFL can minimize the risk with the new concussion protocol.

Fair question, and I think people will lose sight of the fact that this movie was funded, produced, marketed and promoted and distributed with one goal in mind. Profit.

Sadly a lot of people will assume it's there to point out how evil the NFL is and how it was made to educate everyone.

The film is totally capitalizing on "hot news". The film cost 35MIL to make.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The only Pop Warner I've ever seen is at the dome and those little kids don't have a whole lot of momentum. It's kinda like watching feathers hit each other.

As a kid I had a tryout with the San Jose Hornets, a Pop Warner team, and participated in a few practices. Didn't make the team though. But I don't remember those collisions feeling like a pillow fight. :sneaky:

fearsomefour

Legend
When you go from little kids to the double digits age range I think that changes, Ive seen it often, experienced it as well growing up. Once boys hit puberty (and some do early) you end up with goliaths clobbering little ones.

Its definitely something I would consider if I ever have kids, and hopefully science can create helmets that do a much better job.
I have seen a couple of kids get knocked out, although were more stunned than actually knocked out cold. That is over 10 years of being involved in Pop Warner.
The game certainly gets more physical, faster and more aggressive once puberty starts. Most leagues have weight limits to help deal with that.
All of that said a kid doesn't need to be knocked out cold to be incurring damage. No such as a little concussion although they are not all created equal.
My point is even the high school game is a totally different animal than the college game, let alone the pro game. Parents freaking out is an over reaction.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought the movie was mediocre. Watched a few really awesome movies over the past couple weeks (Sicario, Creed, Spotlight) and Concussion didn't measure up. And I'm talking about from the point of view of the film, not football. The film wasn't truly focused on concussions, it was focused on making Will Smith's character out to be a hero. It was sanctimonious as hell. Will Smith's character seemed completely unrealistic. A perfect man, a saint, being targeted by the big, bad NFL.

I knew coming in what the NFL had done. It was wrong. It was painful seeing dramatizations of what guys like Webster and Waters went through. But the movie was poorly written and not overly well-acted. If any of you are movie buffs, watch the movie Spotlight. That film did it right. Great writing and acting. Concussion should have been written like Spotlight. With the focus on the issue...not on the character(s).

fearsomefour

Legend

Does any of this look like a good idea for a 7-9 year old.........I love football and don't want to see it go away, but these kids are a bit too young for this kind of stuff. Listen to the adults and what they say, look at the drills they are doing..........it's not cool IMO.

Kids running in with heads down....garbage coaching.
I agree that kids playing full contact football at 7-9 years old is not a great deal. If I had to do it over again I would no have started my son that early, although he wanted to play.
I would like to see flag football to a certain age then contact.

fearsomefour

Legend
I thought the movie was mediocre. Watched a few really awesome movies over the past couple weeks (Sicario, Creed, Spotlight) and Concussion didn't measure up. And I'm talking about from the point of view of the film, not football. The film wasn't truly focused on concussions, it was focused on making Will Smith's character out to be a hero. It was sanctimonious as hell. Will Smith's character seemed completely unrealistic. A perfect man, a saint, being targeted by the big, bad NFL.

I knew coming in what the NFL had done. It was wrong. It was painful seeing dramatizations of what guys like Webster and Waters went through. But the movie was poorly written and not overly well-acted. If any of you are movie buffs, watch the movie Spotlight. That film did it right. Great writing and acting. Concussion should have been written like Spotlight. With the focus on the issue...not on the character(s).
Spotlight was good but not great in my opinion.
I love Michael Keaton so that helped.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Spotlight was good but not great in my opinion.
I love Michael Keaton so that helped.

I thought it was great. Loved the way they flipped the script on how most movies are made by making the focus of the movie the story rather than the characters telling the story.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Seemed like a decent movie to me. Exposed the idea of an NFL cover up that I had never even considered, but makes sense in our world given the amount of money involved. It really had me shaking my head when they pointed out how the committee the NFL had looking into concussions was filled with unqualified personnel.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Wow is all I can say about this movie. This movie gave me a new aspect about football in general and the NFL. The hits they have in the movie made the audience cringe and gasp, and the stuff wasnt staged it was real footage... there are a few scenes (real footage) where little leaguers were knocking each other out cold.... I mean cold! Little kids... How the NFL tried to cover the concussion thing up is down right awful. There were a few points in the movie where I said to myself I can't watch the nfl anymore. I know see why some up and coming players have retired after a few years in the league. I question now if I want my kids to play.

It started out slow but got interesting. if you're not a football fan you won't like the movie. And if you were born in the mid 90s or so you probably won't like it either because you won't catch some parts of the movie. There were a few rams appearances that made me smile. Lol and there was 1 scene where will Smith was talking to his girlfriend and I guess he forgot he was suppose to have a strong African accent.
I am a BIG Movie buff, and I wasn't sure I'd even watch this Movie, but after hearing you speak about it, I think I'll give it a watch!!(y)

RamWoodie

Legend
I've not seen the movie, but I've watched football a lot of years and I've seen many players REFUSE to come out of games many years after big hits. There's enough blame to go around for both the NFL and the players.

The best thing is that the dangers of head trauma have come to light even more with medical technology...and everyone knows that now and corrections have been made to minimize head trauma AND to force the league and players...to protect their long term health.

What immediately comes to mind is when Keenum suffered his concussion. That was typical, He didn't want to come out of the game, and the happenings with the coaching staff, refs, and the league were such that it basically went un-noticed.

Hollywood over-dramatizes a lot...I'll wait for the movie to come out dvd.