Colts sign Luck to a 5 year extension

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Not as risky as it is being played up. The Rams were down a net 3 picks.We already parlayed 1 into 2 picks. Now we are down net 2. Don't put it past Snead to do some more grand moves next year. Missing the #1 does hurt, but I think that is all. The Rams did not mortgage the future. WE ARE LOADED with young talent.

Exactly Snow..... Don't put it past Snead to find a hidden ACE in the 2017 Draft. Les knows how to play the game and you can never doubt his poker hand, or how many picks he will parlay next year. :cool:

Spainis-10.gif

28756958.jpg

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
As HUGE as this contract for Luck seems... guess what guys... there are currently 50 players in MLB with bigger contracts.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Funny loved Luck at Stanford thought he was going to be the next John Elway and now I think he like his team is overrated. Don't know why, just feel that way...Blake Bortles will have a better year.
He is EASILY the most overrated player in the NFL.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, that's what makes the Goff trade especially risky. With those picks we gave away, we might have been able to draft replacements for guys like McDonald, Ogletree, Brockers and Tru. Now, we will have to overpay to keep our guys together, or live with a few glaring holes.

Let's hope JG is worth it.

Oh no not Rams fans too...c'mon guys...

The only thing we really gave up in next year's draft is our first round pick - and based on compensatory selections, we will still have a complement of 7 draft picks next year.

Don't be like the media with their "mortgaged future" comments! We did nothing of the sort. With essentially a full complement of draft picks next year, we can easily restock and find replacements for any free agent losses.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

No he's not, c'mon.

He's still better than Russell Wilson, RG3 and Tannehill. He's still the best young QB in the NFL...unless you count Rodgers in there.

And he's till a top 10 QB.

The Colts are once again nearly wasting a QB talent...their draft picks and FA acquisitions have been awful since Luck's arrival. Absolutely awful.

heck, the Cowboys minus Romo are a 4-12 team, right? Now, take away QB and tell me....what position group would you trade straight up with the Colts? Definitely nothing on offense...and on defense the Colts are marginally worse than Dallas.

I don't understand why people judge QBs so harshly when they are dependent upon players around them.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
No he's not, c'mon.

He's still better than Russell Wilson, RG3 and Tannehill. He's still the best young QB in the NFL...unless you count Rodgers in there.

The Colts are once again nearly wasting a QB talent...their draft picks and FA acquisitions have been awful since Luck's arrival. Absolutely awful.

heck, the Cowboys minus Romo are a 4-12 team, right? Now, take away QB and tell me....what position group would you trade straight up with the Colts? Definitely nothing on offense...and on defense the Colts are marginally worse than Dallas.

I don't understand why people judge QBs so harshly when they are dependent upon players around them.
Overrated doesn't mean he sucks. He just certainly doesn't live up to the hype, imo. Come on, people have said he's the best QB coming out of college for over a decade. In 2014 we beat the colts 42-7, and Haselbeck is the one who scored the TD. I mean, surely the best QB to come out in YEARS can get one TD against a middle of the pack defense, right?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only thing we really gave up in next year's draft is our first round pick - and based on compensatory selections, we will still have a complement of 7 draft picks next year.

The Rams also traded a third - which may or may not be a comp pick, if the Rams get a 3rd round comp pick. Unless you think that Cooper for instance is going to be worthless as a player, you have to say that the 3rd rounder they traded has some value. It's irrelevant that the Rams may end up with 7 total picks, since the third rounder they traded has value too. It doesn't mean the trade wasn't justified, but it doesn't help your case to claim falsely that some of the assets traded were worthless anyway. All picks have value, 3rd rounders have fairly substantial value overall.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Him and playing in the AFC South is certainly the reason why Ryan Grigson has a job. Too bad that talent is going to go to waste unless the Colts FO is willing to change

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...st-fine-after-andrew-lucks-big-deal/86559798/

The salary cap has gone from $133 million in 2014 to $155 million this year – a shocking increase of $22 million in just two years. Whether the increases continue at this rate remains to be seen, but the point is clear: If current trends hold, the impact of Luck’s deal on the cap will be increasingly minimized over the lifetime of the contract.

Accordingly, the contract is structured so that the biggest cap hits don’t come until 2018, when Luck will count more than $24 million against the salary cap. He’ll count $27 million in 2019 and $28 million in 2020.

But, the Colts were savvy, and Luck was clearly amenable to accommodating the team’s needs. That produced a contract that enabled the Colts to lower Luck’s cap number in the final year of the deal to $21 million. Why is that important? Because if the sides struggle to come to terms on another extension, the Colts could use the franchise tag on Luck and not be hamstrung by the required 20 percent year over year increase (they would owe him about $25.4 million for 2022 under that scenario).

By the way, even after signing Luck, the Colts are in great cap position. They have roughly $13.8 million in cap space remaining for 2016 – money they can roll over to 2017 if it goes unspent.

>> Luck did them a favor

One of the most elemental reasons Luck’s contract is workable from the Colts’ perspective is because Luck willingly accepted less money that he could have rightfully demanded.

He came to the table with more leverage than just about any quarterback in recent league history, but Luck “settled” for a deal that pays less than the projected $25 million annually he was predicted to garner. Based on the deal’s total value, he’ll average just more than $23 million a year over the next six seasons. Irsay’s assertion that the deal was “team friendly” was, in essence, his way of saying Luck did his team a solid.

Remember, this is a league where Washington quarterback Kirk Cousins – a starter for just one full season – will earn over $19 million this season on the franchise tag. Luck could’ve asked for the moon. He clearly made a conscious decision not to.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
No he's not, c'mon.

He's got a whole lot of "average" on his resume so far. Yeah he's played well but almost as often he's been average and sometimes he's been downright bad.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

IMO that's simply the media much like it was with Griffin. And he'll get the same treatment if he plays this year like he did last year.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams also traded a third - which may or may not be a comp pick, if the Rams get a 3rd round comp pick. Unless you think that Cooper for instance is going to be worthless as a player, you have to say that the 3rd rounder they traded has some value. It's irrelevant that the Rams may end up with 7 total picks, since the third rounder they traded has value too. It doesn't mean the trade wasn't justified, but it doesn't help your case to claim falsely that some of the assets traded were worthless anyway. All picks have value, 3rd rounders have fairly substantial value overall.

Based on the formula they use, we WILL get a 3rd round comp pick - maybe two.

Without knowing what Pharoah Cooper will become, I would absolutely trade him as part of a package to get Goff.

Obviously all picks have value - the intent of my post was just pointing out that despite the narrative, the Rams will end up with at least 7 draft picks next year - that is NOT mortgaging the future.

Athos

Legend
Overrated doesn't mean he sucks. He just certainly doesn't live up to the hype, imo. Come on, people have said he's the best QB coming out of college for over a decade. In 2014 we beat the colts 42-7, and Haselbeck is the one who scored the TD. I mean, surely the best QB to come out in YEARS can get one TD against a middle of the pack defense, right?

The Colts have been giving Luck the ole Rams Brasford treatment. Piss poor job of protecting the QB. Luck has taken a massive beating behind that line. Difference is that he's bigger, more rugged, and more mobile than Sam.

And once again, the Colts have had a garbage run game. Without the WR weapons Manning had to make up for that.

That team would be terrible without him.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Based on the formula they use, we WILL get a 3rd round comp pick - maybe two.

The formula that the NFL has never released and which has led to a surprising result or two every year? That one?

I agree the Rams are likely to get a 3rd round comp, although playing time and whether players have post season honors supposedly play into the comp too. But it's not a sure thing