Colts owner: "Andrew Luck most likely won’t open up against the Rams"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Hey, it's another article from our buddy, Danny Heifetz, so take it with a big grain of salt. Read the thread below to know why.

http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...-trade-for-qb-tyrod-taylor.50688/#post-932522

Don't feel sorry for the abuse he's getting here at ROD. He delivers another low-blow to the Rams about half-way down this article.
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2017/8/28/16215482/indianapolis-colts-andrew-luck-injury-backup

Without Andrew Luck, the Colts Could Be the Worst Team in Football
BY DANNY HEIFETZ

625636680.0.jpg

Getty Images

Years ago, Jon Gruden and Ron Jaworski were visiting an Indianapolis Colts practice ahead of a Monday Night Football game when the two noticed something strange—the backup quarterbacks weren’t taking any reps. Gruden asked Tom Moore, Indy’s longtime offensive coordinator and the architect of the Colts offense, why Peyton Manning was the only quarterback practicing.

“Fellas, if 18 [Manning] goes down, we’re fucked,” Moore said. “And we don’t practice fucked.”

Not much has changed in Indy: The Colts are still screwed without a star signal-caller under center. Andrew Luck underwent surgery on his throwing shoulder so long ago that Obama was still president, and there’s still no timeline for Luck’s return. It’s looking increasingly likely that Luck will miss the Colts’ opener, meaning that Scott Tolzien and his career two touchdowns and seven interceptions will likely lead Indianapolis to start the season.

Fans and fantasy football owners may clamor for Luck’s return, but there’s 123 million reasons over five years that Indianapolis should not push him to start the season before he’s ready. Let’s not forget that the man drafted right after Luck, Robert Griffin III, put his career in jeopardy by being “all in for Week 1.” Colts owner Jim Irsay has been clear that he’s thinking about the next decade of Colts football when weighing decisions regarding Luck’s shoulder. If 2017 September football is the cost, then so be it.

“I can’t emphasize how much time I’ve spent with Andrew, saying, ‘You have to make this decision in the best interest of the franchise, the fans, your teammates, etc. Not just your competitive juices,’” Irsay said.

That stance from ownership makes it even more surprising that new general manager Chris Ballard didn’t sign a veteran backup quarterback in the offseason. Irsay said the team attempted to sign a mystery quarterback in his mid-to-late 30s, but the move never panned out. Back in 2015, the team went 5-3 after veteran Matt Hasselbeck took over the starting spot in October while Luck was hurt.

Instead of acquiring a similar insurance plan this year, the team stuck with Tolzien, who is now fighting former undrafted free agent Stephen Morris for the starting job. If Tolzien can’t beat out other undrafted free-agent quarterbacks, beating any NFL team will be an upstream battle. The Colts defense looks like it will have seven new starters this year, which will hopefully improve the unit, but could also require some early-season fine-tuning.

The good news is that in the first five weeks of the season, the Colts play three of the worst teams in the league—the Rams, Browns, and 49ers. The bad news is they also play Seattle and Arizona. It is within the realm of possibility that if they blow those easy games, they’ll be playing the Jaguars on October 22 for the title of Worst Team in Football.

If the Colts do earn that title, the blame will largely fall on former general manager Ryan Grigson, who was fired in January. Grigson landed a franchise quarterback in Luck and promptly squandered the opportunity. For much of Luck’s tenure in Indianapolis, the Colts roster has been among the least talented in football, probably because the team hasn’t drafted an impact player since 2012.

The most egregious sin committed by Grigson was the construction of the offensive line, which has failed to adequately protect the franchise’s new hope since he came into the league. Ballard now has the opposite problem most new general managers have: He has a generational talent at quarterback, but must do triage everywhere else.

Even when Luck returns, he’s going to be rusty. He hasn’t practiced in eight months, the longest stretch he’s gone without playing football since middle school. Fortunately, the Colts are returning most of their starting 11 on offense so Luck should have some continuity, but he’ll also be playing behind the same line that allowed him to be sacked 41 times last year, tied for the second-highest mark in the league.

Luck isn’t anyone’s idea of fragile, but he clearly can’t take punishment forever. He’s already missed an entire offseason of preparation that can’t be recaptured in a few weeks.

“Think about all the time quarterbacks spend with their receivers in the offseason,” Jim Sorgi, who backed up Manning for years in Indianapolis (without getting reps in practice!) and is now a Colts radio analyst, told the Indianapolis Star. “That time is invaluable. … I don’t think it’s just gonna be pick up and go.”

With a healthy Luck, the Colts would have a serious chance to win the AFC South. Without him, they could resemble the flailing 2-14 mess that landed them Luck in the first place. And even when Luck does return, we might not see him play like himself until Thanksgiving—and that’s assuming his shoulder is healthy.

The Colts could be in trouble without Luck. Hopefully they’ve been practicing.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It’s looking increasingly likely that Luck will miss the Colts’ opener, meaning that Scott Tolzien and his career two touchdowns and seven interceptions will likely lead Indianapolis to start the season.
Under these circumstances, I can safely say, I smell blood in the air, come week one!
The good news is that in the first five weeks of the season, the Colts play three of the worst teams in the league—the Rams, Browns, and 49ers. The bad news is they also play Seattle and Arizona. It is within the realm of possibility that if they blow those easy games, they’ll be playing the Jaguars on October 22 for the title of Worst Team in Football.
This writer better quit looking at last years stats when he is writing. The three teams he is writing about^ have some pretty good "D's" this year, and can pound the Fuck out of a poor Offense!

fearsomefour

Legend
Under these circumstances, I can safely say, I smell blood in the air, come week one!

This writer better quit looking at last years stats when he is writing. The three teams he is writing about^ have some pretty good "D's" this year, and can pound the freak out of a poor Offense!
Hopefully D players that haven't seen the field in preseason are ready to go with assignments and conditioning.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Hopefully D players that haven't seen the field in preseason are ready to go with assignments and conditioning.
I agree, but McVay doesn't seem to have a problem with it, so I'll trust his judgment until he's proven wrong!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
with the talent we have on offense and the colts not wanting Tavon to kill them again it could end up being a record day for Goff and Watkins

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nlikely-to-play-in-the-regular-season-opener/

Irsay admits Andrew Luck is unlikely to play in the regular-season opener
Posted by Mike Florio on September 1, 2017, 12:47 AM EDT

619287860-e1504241646921.jpg

Getty Images

The Colts’ 2017 offseason amounts to a protracted game of “the check’s in the mail.”

To cap a string of unfulfilled promises and hollow expectations constantly perpetuated about the franchise’s surgically-repaired franchise quarterback, owner Jim Irsay finally has admitted that Andrew Luck is unlikely to play in the regular-season opener against the Rams, via Stephen Holder of the Indianapolis Star.

“I would say again that the odds are most likely he probably won’t open up against the Rams,” Irsay said. “In our own minds, it’s something that we haven’t ruled out. We’re gonna again see where he’s at and it would be awesome, you know, we’re not talking Willis Reed here or something like this.”

Per Holder, Irsay was “clearly miffed” about suggestions that the team mishandled Luck’s shoulder injury. Irsay also insisted that there have been no setbacks.

No matter what Irsay now says, the truth is that the Colts continuously have created the impression that Luck’s shoulder would be healed in sufficient time for him to play in Week One. Now, he “most likely . . . probably” won’t play. Whenever he does, how prepared will he be?

As Bob Kravitz of WTHR consistently has pointed out, Peyton Manning’s training camp and preseason were largely wiped out by a knee problem in 2008, and it took him nearly half the year to get up to speed. The Colts made the playoffs that year, but Manning enjoyed a strong supporting cast. Luck doesn’t.

Consequently, it already feels like a lost season for the Colts, who did nothing to upgrade the position in Luck’s absence — and who soon will begin to experience the results that flow from a failure to properly plan for the events that have transpired.

socalrams90

Starter
I wanted him to play. I felt like this was a perfect coming out game for us to show our improvement to the league (and ourselves for that matter).

Now if we win, it is going to be minimized due to the colts injuries. If we somehow lose i will not watch/listen to so sports talk for the week.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He hasn't had a single practice with the team in 7 months. No way he starts.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Even if Luck does show up, he is bound to be rusty. He hasn't thrown a pass all off-season.

That's kind of my thinking too.

I would think it's very possible the Colts believe they can give him one more week, and beat the Rams without him.

Little do they know they are about to run into a buzz saw!!

:sneaky:

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
IMO, this could be one of those "trap" games. A couple starters are out, yet their replacements play out of their mind. I hope they don't take the Colts lightly wiih Luck out.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's a Ram win regardless if he plays.

If the Rams can't win the first one it'll be a long season.

I agree this game needs to be a win. If it's not, my expectations immediately go to the 4 win range and I start looking at the draft and this roster overall from the perspective of where we need help. The Colts are not a good roster, and whether they have Luck or not the Rams should have zero problems pulling out a win at home.

In fact, even after we win the game, and even if we win it big, there is still going to be plenty of room for this team to struggle as the tougher games in the division come up. This game is a lot like last year's whiners opener in that way, where they open against a team that a solid team should beat, and we're going to see what they're made of right off the bat. Last year's team put together a few straight wins after that disappointing opener, but in the end the team we saw on opening day was the team that got their @$$e$ kicked in SF week one.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
This is a no-win situation for the Rams.

If we beat them, it's because Luck wasn't there.
If we *barely* beat them, then we would have lost if Luck was there.
If Luck plays and we beat them, it's because he lost so much time.
If Luck plays and we lose, we suck.
If Luck doesn't play and we lose, we REALLY suck.

Gonna take a string of handing out sound beatings before we're taken seriously again.

JRobinson

MiLB
This is a no-win situation for the Rams.

If we beat them, it's because Luck wasn't there.
If we *barely* beat them, then we would have lost if Luck was there.
If Luck plays and we beat them, it's because he lost so much time.
If Luck plays and we lose, we suck.
If Luck doesn't play and we lose, we REALLY suck.

Gonna take a string of handing out sound beatings before we're taken seriously again.

Agree with your brother. We've been bad for so long that it's going to take some solid, and impressive wins to be in the realm of "respect". It's pretty clear that the outsiders don't think much of our squad right now which makes complete sense. Why would they? What have we proven? We have a new coach, new pieces, and nobody has seen any fruit of out labor yet.

Personally, I have stopped talking our Rams up. For the past five years, I have told all my buddies how much better the Rams are going to be and yet they disappoint. This year, I haven't said a word, I'm just going to let the Rams prove it to everyone including myself.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Stuff like this makes me nervous...Rams will be favored I imagine, so if they win it will be because of no Luck...(according to the ignorant pundits)...If they lose, that could be a nightmare like the Whiners last year getting their only wins against the Rams...I just want a W, but it sure be nice to pummel a team when they're supposed to...of course either way it will a game ridiculed as a game between 2 of the bottom of the barrel teams...Rams need to win this and sending a statement with a beat down would be nice...GO RAMS !!!!!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll never forget the 2008 Atlanta Falcons. They had just drafted Matt Ryan (3rd overall) - they weren't a good football team. They had a new coach, a great RB and they played the worst team in the NFL in week 1 - the Lions.

They had a fairly easy schedule thereafter and went 11-5. Since 2008 they have only had two losing season and have been in the playoffs multiple times.

I never want a player to be hurt - but I'm not upset that Luck won't be playing. A win here could launch this team.