Colts owner: "Andrew Luck most likely won’t open up against the Rams"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Irsay: No guarantee Luck is ready for season opener
  • By Conor Orr

1120_andrew-luck-titans-thumbs-up_622.jpg

A murky return timeline for Colts quarterback Andrew Luck became a little clearer Sunday following a pair of comments made by the team's owner and general manager.

Speaking to the team's broadcasters Sunday, general manager Chris Ballard said that "[Luck] is actually doing really well. His strength levels are probably better right now than they ever were in the last season he played."

Owner Jim Irsay said, via CBS4 in Indianapolis: "I can't say that Luck will be ready for the [regular-season opening] Rams game but he will be ready for the start of the season. He is throwing."

Both confirmed that Luck was throwing regularly after taking extreme caution with his surgically repaired shoulder all offseason.

According to the Indianapolis Star, Irsay also said that the Colts considered a veteran quarterback to backup Luck but the "price was too high." Currently, the team is rolling with 29-year-old career backup Scott Tolzien. Tolzien was with the club last year and made a start while Luck was initially suffering from the shoulder issue that required offseason surgery.

On Sunday, Ballard said Tolzien "has had his moments. He's been a little inconsistent, but he's gotta continue to get reps; get better and get the rhythm in the offense."

While Ballard told NFL Network's Tom Pelissero that Luck would almost certainly be off the Physically Unable to Perform list by the start of the regular season, it seems to be clear that Tolzien will need to make at least one start in the regular season. Irsay initially expected Luck to be on the field for Sept. 10 game against the Rams but could not confirm the date on Sunday. Either way, keeping Luck sidelined for one or two games is a worthwhile price for having him healthy for almost an entire season -- especially if his "strength levels" are really something to gush about.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-no-guarantee-luck-is-ready-for-season-opener

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Colts might as well not show up to LA if they don't have Luck. The Rams defense will eat Tolzien alive.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Even if Luck does show up, he is bound to be rusty. He hasn't thrown a pass all off-season.

FRO

Legend
The Colts are wasting Andrew Luck. That team sucks without him and isn't that great with him. I don't think that team would win a game if he missed the whole year.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I hope Luck shows up ailing and we knock the hell out of him cause as lifelong Ram fan of 45 years I don't wanna see us make another second-string scrub into the next Joe Namath

See it too many times :death:

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The colts fans dont believe anything Irsay says. They think Irsay is toying with the idea of Luck being back by week 1 just to sell more tickets. They think bc he said this, it'll be longer.

…..

Legend
Why is the owner speaking on player rehab and availability, especially 3-4 weeks in advance?

The flip side to Silent Stan I guess.

Shrug shoulders here, because the Rams will be ready for Luck or anyone else on opening day.

TexasRam

Legend
There are many roads to the playoffs.

Playing some teams with key injuries along the way while improving your offense in the offseason is one of those ways.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope Luck shows up ailing and we knock the hell out of him cause as lifelong Ram fan of 45 years I don't wanna see us make another second-string scrub into the next Joe Namath

I doubt that happens now. No more 10 yard cushions.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
With or without Luck, we have a good chance of beating them. Jim Irsay's been running that team to the ground for years. Would be worried if Fisher was still our coach but I'm confident McVay will make a great first impression

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If memory serves, we kicked living shyte out of Luck the last time we played the Colts...Although, PTSD may prevent the memory of a more recent @ss-kicking of the Rams by the Colts....:redcard:

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I really don't care if he plays or not - I don't want us to win just because he's not playing. The media will love that. I want us to win because we're better than them AT FULL STRENGTH!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Man, just saw an over reaction monday segment on nfl live.

The question was - the colts will win week 1 even without luck playing?

Ryan Clark said over reaction - colts can't win without luck even though they're playing the rams.

Baldy hassellback the back up qb - agreed with everything Clark said until he said the rams. They all laughed. Said the clear issues goff still has during the pre-season (wtf?), the colts will win week 1 with their back up.

Dan the insider said over reaction - kinda sorta likes the rams, thinks they will be competitive. Goes through all the positives that happened in the off-season. Thinks they will win playing the back up qb. All the other clowns laugh at him.

What is it about the bald headed twins that makes me want to punch them in the face every time they talk?

Man i hope the rams shut all these fuckers up in a hurry.