College Football Playoff Game Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The more and I look at it, I see a terrible QB class.

How much have you looked at it? Because I think it's one of the deepest and most talented QB classes in the past 5-7 years. Doesn't have an Andrew Luck but there's a ton of depth and there are 3-4 first round caliber QBs. Along with a number of guys worth drafting on Days 2 and 3.

Have it recorded but won't get to watch it for a couple days. How was Ragland?

Alabama's entire front-7 was flat-out dominant.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Go look at young Eli. He wasn't particularly accurate either
In college? Sure he was. He wasnt Peyton, but he still was over 60%
Cook is nowhere near the level of Eli Manning at this stage
Cook reminds me so much of Kyle Orton at Purdue.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Boy, Big Ten really looked bad with Iowa and Mich St not being remotely competitive and Ohio State rolling Notre Dame.
Looks like they had the wrong team in the dance

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I feel bad for Connor Cook. He made a bad read and decision on the red-zone INT but he's getting killed today and his WRs have not helped him out.
tests his character....and he survived...should prepare him well for the pro game...

I've seen the kid play some 10-15 games and can't see how he's Viewed any different than a Hackenburg
I think Hackenberg has more tools with arm & release....Cook has something...I like it too...both look confident. And actually, while not in Goff's class, they seem like good, solid players...
After watching Treadwell, I wouldn't mind losing out on Goff:(, grabbing Treadwell:yess:, and picking up either Cook or Hackenberg in the 2nd round...

Athos

Legend
Sorry @LACHAMP46

Hackenblunder stinks.

I want no part of a QB with shitty awareness and zero football instincts. He's Gabbert 2.0. All the tools in the world except one of the ones that matter most.

He shouldn't sniff the 3rd.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hackenblunder stinks.

I want no part of a QB with crappy awareness and zero football instincts. He's Gabbert 2.0. All the tools in the world except one of the ones that matter most.
Man you're rough on this kid...
I first heard of Hackenberg in HERE...And my first look, he was terrible...balls flying all over the place...inaccurate...
Looking at him now...well, before he was injured....A+ arm....A+ size....tough...3 year starter...classic pocket QB...(Blaine was/is a much better athlete...and I'd still take him too;))
He puts the ball in a place to have them succeed. Instincts & awareness are your issues with him? Young kid, playing with inferior talent (they sure look huge and pretty good today) he seems to really NOT want to make a mistake, which causes him to make mistakes...He puts a lot of smoke on the short passes too. Reminds me of Sam.
I'd like Goff...But Cook, Lynch, Hackenberg, and Hogan would still be major upgrades for our team....:football:

Athos

Legend
Sorry man I'm with @jrry32 .

If he's good he will be great. But if he's bad hell wash out of the league real quick. Too much risk for anything but a fifth.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In college? Sure he was. He wasnt Peyton, but he still was over 60%
Cook is nowhere near the level of Eli Manning at this stage
Cook reminds me so much of Kyle Orton at Purdue.

Eli completed 60.8% of his passes in college. He barely cleared 60%. And 60% isn't some logical cut-off point.

Go look at his first 4 years in the NFL. Best year was 57.7%. His overall completion percentage after his first four years was 54.7%. He was not accurate as a young QB.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eli completed 60.8% of his passes in college. He barely cleared 60%. And 60% isn't some logical cut-off point.

Go look at his first 4 years in the NFL. Best year was 57.7%. His overall completion percentage after his first four years was 54.7%. He was not accurate as a young QB.
Cmon man. Comparing comp % from college 10+ years ago to today's game is apples to oranges. Eli wasn't playing in a YAC driven spread. He played in Cutcliffe's pro set. And with that he hit 63.5 as a sophomore and 62.4 as a senior.
Furthermore, comparing Eli as a pro to college is equally non sensical.
He was an accurate thrower just held to a higher standard because of who his bro was.
And with that he was a significantly better pro prospect than Cook

tahoe

Pro Bowler
How much have you looked at it? Because I think it's one of the deepest and most talented QB classes in the past 5-7 years. Doesn't have an Andrew Luck but there's a ton of depth and there are 3-4 first round caliber QBs. Along with a number of guys worth drafting on Days 2 and 3.

Alabama's entire front-7 was flat-out dominant.
Ive been paying pretty close attention and I think its the opposite, I think there is 1 maybe 2 first round qbs, a couple of secind rounders and not much else. I just look at these QBs and they just arent good imo. I know you have done a lot of research into these QBs and I respect your opinion but I think you are way too high on this class.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cmon man. Comparing comp % from college 10+ years ago to today's game is apples to oranges. Eli wasn't playing in a YAC driven spread. He played in Cutcliffe's pro set. And with that he hit 63.5 as a sophomore and 62.4 as a senior.
Furthermore, comparing Eli as a pro to college is equally non sensical.
He was an accurate thrower just held to a higher standard because of who his bro was.
And with that he was a significantly better pro prospect than Cook

Yea, he played in Cutcliffe's pro style offense...which is a higher percentage offense than Cook's pro style offense.

As I've already demonstrated, Cook's offense has shaved between 3-5% off his completion percentage based on how vertically oriented it is. And that doesn't account for drops...which I'd expect his WRs are doing more than your average ranked college team.

But let's not stray from the point, Eli was not a particularly accurate young QB.

I'm not arguing that Cook is as good of a prospect as Eli. But let's not rewrite history. Eli was not (and still is not) a consistently accurate QB. Or a consistent decision maker. Hasn't stopped him from being successful.

Cook, like Eli, has the instincts and mental acuity to be successful despite his inconsistencies as a thrower.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ive been paying pretty close attention and I think its the opposite, I think there is 1 maybe 2 first round qbs, a couple of secind rounders and not much else. I just look at these QBs and they just arent good imo. I know you have done a lot of research into these QBs and I respect your opinion but I think you are way too high on this class.

Jared Goff
Paxton Lynch
Connor Cook
Carson Wentz
Jacoby Brissett
Cardale Jones
Christian Hackenberg
Nate Sudfeld
Dak Prescott
Cody Kessler
Kevin Hogan
Brandon Doughty
Brandon Allen
Jake Coker

And there might be a couple other QBs drafted. Although, it's possible one or two of the above don't get drafted. That's 14 QBs. Of which, 3-4 are first round prospects. And there are arguably another 3-4 that go on day two. That's a deep and talented class.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Jared Goff
Paxton Lynch
Connor Cook
Carson Wentz
Jacoby Brissett
Cardale Jones
Christian Hackenberg
Nate Sudfeld
Dak Prescott
Cody Kessler
Kevin Hogan
Brandon Doughty
Brandon Allen
Jake Coker

Think I like Wentz over Cook now for some reason Cook just seems to have a ton of mileage on him, however, I will be watching the Senior Bowl closely, but Wentz is a heck of an athlete as well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Think I like Wentz over Cook now for some reason Cook just seems to have a ton of mileage on him, however, I will be watching the Senior Bowl closely, but Wentz is a heck of an athlete as well.

That list isn't in order.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fair enough, what do you think? Cook or Wentz?

I have Cook rated higher now. But that's before the Senior Bowl. If Wentz has a strong week, shows improvement with his lower body mechanics, and shows he can pick-up a pro style offense well, I'll likely push Wentz above Cook. There are still a couple boxes I'm trying to check on Wentz's evaluation.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Jared Goff
Paxton Lynch
Connor Cook
Carson Wentz
Jacoby Brissett
Cardale Jones
Christian Hackenberg
Nate Sudfeld
Dak Prescott
Cody Kessler
Kevin Hogan
Brandon Doughty
Brandon Allen
Jake Coker

And there might be a couple other QBs drafted. Although, it's possible one or two of the above don't get drafted. That's 14 QBs. Of which, 3-4 are first round prospects. And there are arguably another 3-4 that go on day two. That's a deep and talented class.
And all of those but 2 or 3 arent any good

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cook, like Eli, has the instincts and mental acuity to be successful despite his inconsistencies as a thrower.
Well there you go. Why stop at Eli? Cook is not accurate, has bad footwork at times and plays poorly under pressure.
But you can wash that all away with your new intangible of "mental acuity" that isn't measurable and is strictly opinion
So why stop with Eli? You can compare him to any of the top QB who have come out using that logic.
On the contrary, I think the fact that he misses wide open guys, and seems to take plays off is a sign that he is weak in the mental acuity portion of the game.
I've watched the kid for years and thought he played his best as a sophomore. Now he seems to be a kid who relies on his arm too much and lacks concentration