College Football Playoff Game Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel bad for Connor Cook. He made a bad read and decision on the red-zone INT but he's getting killed today and his WRs have not helped him out.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I feel bad for Connor Cook. He made a bad read and decision on the red-zone INT but he's getting killed today and his WRs have not helped him out.

I agree, he's getting drolled on every play. That Alabama front 7 might be the best I've seen in CFB. There have also been about 4 drops by receivers. Cook can't really do much.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree, he's getting drolled on every play. That Alabama front 7 might be the best I've seen in CFB. There have also been about 4 drops by receivers. Cook can't really do much.

It's like watching the Rams of past years with Bradford and Bulger. Michigan State's offense is completely out-talented.

Which is why I don't think a QB fixes all of our offensive woes. But I do think a QB and 2-3 weapons with OL progression makes the difference.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
This is such a terribly ugly game. Reminds me of Wisconsin vs. Ohio State last year. Just getting completely outclassed in every aspect. Cook having a nightmare game here. That interception was such a killer. Then he's got a couple of drops hurting him as well, but it's still not a good performance at all.

The running game is non-existent for MSU and Bama hitting the deep balls they seem to get all the time.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hopefully, this helps us. Drop him to #18 without a trade up.(if we can't get Goff)

Athos

Legend
This is such a terribly ugly game. Reminds me of Wisconsin vs. Ohio State last year. Just getting completely outclassed in every aspect. Cook having a nightmare game here. That interception was such a killer. Then he's got a couple of drops hurting him as well, but it's still not a good performance at all.

Seems to happen whenever Bama is involved.

But having no run game will always kill Bama's opponents. They have the secondary to be able to just blanket you and MSU doesn't exactly have killer WRs.

Hoping this drops Cook as well.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Can someone explain the "character issues" of Cook to me? I haven't followed it much, but people are making a deal of him not getting voted a captain by teammates (which sounds a bit overblown, but I don't know) and also I've heard some say that he may not be really invested in playing football, as in he may not have his heart in it. I find that hard to believe with the success he's had and everything, but is there any truth to any of that?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can someone explain the "character issues" of Cook to me? I haven't followed it much, but people are making a deal of him not getting voted a captain by teammates (which sounds a bit overblown, but I don't know) and also I've heard some say that he may not be really invested in playing football, as in he may not have his heart in it. I find that hard to believe with the success he's had and everything, but is there any truth to any of that?

Hard to say. I don't think it sounds legitimate. But you never know.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I dont think there will be a problem with Cook being there at 18 the question is now is he a first rounder? Lynch played aweful too this week. So far only Goff played well against weak competition

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Story came out couple days ago. good read. Sucks they got destroyed so bad by Bama, but was expecting them to lose, just not so badly.

DALLAS — Not much was known about the quarterback entering the game. Thrown into the Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl in 2012, there was Connor Cook.

The collective response when the redshirt freshman took the field against TCU—even from those who knew the young man—was that of genuine astonishment. Michigan State defensive end Shilique Calhoun remembers the moment well.

“Connor? Connor is playing? The goofy quarterback we have is playing? It’s amazing to see how he switches it once he gets on the field,” Calhoun said. “He’s very focused and passionate about the game. It’s amazing to see how he’s grown over the years.”

In a sport so set in its ways, few stars emerge out of nowhere. They shine bright at a young age and are celebrated as such. You can see them coming. College football loves these stars and highlights them accordingly early on.

The good ones rarely sneak up on us these days; these players are not often discovered accidentally in a stuffy, nearly empty high school gym. That’s where Cook’s journey begins.

Defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi had visited Walsh Jesuit High School in Stow, Ohio, to speak with another player—talented linebacker Cameron Ontko, Cook’s teammate—who eventually signed with Wisconsin. Narduzzi just so happened to see the team’s sophomore quarterback in the weight room. He asked if Cook would throw a few passes.

“We were in a basketball gym,” Cook recalled. “It was out routes and slants. I couldn’t even air it out.”

But Narduzzi left intrigued. So much so that he went back to East Lansing and told head coach Mark Dantonio about a quarterback they had to have.

Cook’s junior year didn’t go as planned; he performed adequately but was not the superstar many expected. Still, Narduzzi didn’t budge on his conviction. He wanted the kid who had received no real major offers. So he wrote him frequently.

“I threw three picks in a game,” Cook said. “And I am still getting these letters from him.”

hi-res-849bfec0bf8f77845a7f2d292c7d720e_crop_exact.jpg
Joe Robbins/Getty Images
Eventually, Narduzzi offered Cook a scholarship. He wasn’t bothered by Cook’s just-average junior year. He was so excited to have Cook and his family on campus that he presented the offer while Cook’s father was still in the bathroom.

Cook waited for the flood of interest to follow before making his decision, although that never happened. It made the decision easy, and at the time, the quarterback was thrilled about a free education. Michigan State had found its star by accident.

“When something like that happens, you take advantage of it,” Cook said. “I was able to go there and work my tail off. I wanted to try to get just a little bit better each and every year, and put myself in a position like this.”

That position is now one of great power. Cook has won two Big Ten championships. He’s won a Rose Bowl. He’s won a Cotton Bowl.

He passed up the NFL, suffered what appeared to be a serious shoulder injury late in the season, played through the pain—is still playing through the pain, regardless of what he says—and led his team to the playoff.

He transformed the perception of Michigan State, winning 34 of the 38 games he’s started. Think about that for a moment. Like the player, that statistic sneaked up on us.

It didn’t look like this at the beginning—not even after he arrived. The goofy freshman tossed into a bowl game didn't look like a playoff quarterback then. But slowly, he grew into something more, even if some things never changed.

“Goofy” is a term multiple teammates used to describe Cook’s character. He’s far looser behind the scenes with his teammates than he is out in the open. In front of the microphone, he doesn’t come off as goofy. And although he has this lighter side, it comes with ideal balance.

“Pressure isn’t really a pressure situation for him,” Calhoun said of Cook. “He’s comfortable being uncomfortable. That makes for a great quarterback and a great teammate.”

He doesn’t give off the superstar vibe, either. He’s had enough practice over the years, so he's by no means out of place. But there is an edge to him. It’s a good edge—a natural edge.

Nothing about him comes off manufactured. Others have gone out of their way to argue otherwise.

The anonymous NFL draft scout—one of this world’s most covert and unwelcomed beasts—has spoken about a quarterback who will receive ample consideration from many NFL teams come spring.

“Physically, he's pretty good,” a scout told Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “He can make all the throws and he's got some strength to him and he can run. It's all the other stuff with him. How much does he really like ball? How much is he going to work at it? He likes being a celebrity.”

Life has indeed changed for Cook over the past few years. When he goes to class these days, students regularly stop him for pictures or autographs. Despite arriving a few years ago without much fanfare, he now always commands an audience.

hi-res-25e66660104f5e5b937f6ee87f2c4872_crop_exact.jpg
Joe Robbins/Getty Images
And he likes it, too. He’s admitted as much. He’s indeed a celebrity now, which is something he does not shy away from. He embraces it, but not for its assumed value.

This newfound status has allowed Cook to meet fans like Ryan Smigiel and Miranda McCoy. Smigiel has cancer; McCoy is paralyzed after a car accident. Cook has forged a bond with both. With the most important game of his life approaching, he made a point to acknowledge each of them.

“They wouldn’t care who I was if I didn’t play football,” Cook said. “Not in a bad way. To be able to inspire them, talk to them and develop a relationship with them just by playing football and being in the spotlight is one of the reasons why I like being in this situation. To impact younger people or people who are struggling.”

His rise to this position has not been seamless. Even now, after all of the touchdowns, accolades and victories, Cook still probably isn’t given the appropriate recognition as a football player.

hi-res-6c85f776d57f49dc5553cf21aabf928c_crop_exact.jpg
LM Otero/Associated Press
Having arrived lacking the star power of most program-shaping quarterbacks, he’s grown into one of the nation’s elite players. His experiences and early successes have paved the way for something more—a chance to end an already unbelievable college career with a national championship. This is no longer a secret.

“He is by far the best quarterback we played,” Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart said. “There is not a defense we can put out there he hasn’t seen. There is not a throw that he can’t make. And he makes decisions so quick. The guy is really impressive. I think he’s going to be an unbelievable pro.”

The state of his right shoulder may have a say in what happens next. We may not know just how hurt his arm is (or was) until after his college career. Truthfully, we may never know. With millions of dollars almost within his grasp, Cook has avoided the topic at all costs.

“One hundred percent," Cook said of his shoulder earlier in the week. “You got it.”

End transmission. The Cotton Bowl’s biggest storyline was defused from the onset. Regardless of the actual percentage, it will be up to Cook to move the ball against a defense that is loaded with star players—players who were celebrated much earlier than he was.

Cook has arrived by taking a path rarely traveled. In turn, he’s viewed differently, too. On Thursday night, you won't know the difference.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont think there will be a problem with Cook being there at 18 the question is now is he a first rounder? Lynch played aweful too this week. So far only Goff played well against weak competition

I still don't feel very comfortable about it.

Rainram

Starter
Have it recorded but won't get to watch it for a couple days. How was Ragland?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cook isn't a 1st rounder. Lynch still will be because of his physical attributes.
IMO Cook's flaws were all on display last night. Inaccurate throws, poor decision in the red zone, had happy feet.
I've seen the kid play some 10-15 games and can't see how he's Viewed any different than a Hackenburg

Stel

Starter
Cook isn't a 1st rounder. Lynch still will be because of his physical attributes.
IMO Cook's flaws were all on display last night. Inaccurate throws, poor decision in the red zone, had happy feet.
I've seen the kid play some 10-15 games and can't see how he's Viewed any different than a Hackenburg

I'm not Cook's biggest fan but even I think he is a lot better than Hackenberg.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
#18 in round 4 maybe

Nope. #18 in Round 1. He's got some flaws and they aren't minor but he also can do things mentally and instinctually that are pretty rare. Things that make or break QBs in the NFL.

Because he's a far better QB. I'm not even sure how it's close. Hackenberg has a terrible internal clock, poor pocket presence/movement/poise, processes things too slowly on the field, and doesn't consistently show the ability to throw with anticipation.

Yea, Cook's accuracy is inconsistent like Hackenberg's but Cook is completely the opposite in every other thing I named. He has good pocket presence/movement/poise, he processes things quickly, he throws with anticipation, he throws WRs open, and he has an internal clock which leads to him getting the ball out on time.

Hackenberg is completely lacking in the instincts and mental acuity departments on the field. Those are the two departments where Cook shines the brightest. But Cook isn't a great pure thrower. And usually, that would be enough for me to write him off. But I think his instincts and mental acuity make up for it. Not enough that he's the next Peyton Manning. But enough that I think he can be a Jay Cutler or Eli Manning level QB. Go look at young Eli. He wasn't particularly accurate either.