Cobb wants $9M/yr so lets give it to him

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No.

That $9 million a year could get us a quality OL and a solid role player. Cobb plays the same role that Austin does. So unless we're throwing the towel in on Austin, there's no reason to sign Cobb. And even if we are throwing the towel in Austin, I'm not giving up that sort of money for Cobb. I'll grab someone in the draft.

He's not worth that contract. Talented kid...great fit in GB...but he's a slot WR. JMO but there are positions you pay handsomely for to retain and positions you replace when they start to get expensive...the slot WR is one that you replace.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 reading my mind:
So unless we're throwing the towel in on Austin, there's no reason to sign Cobb. And even if we are throwing the towel in Austin, I'm not giving up that sort of money for Cobb. I'll grab someone in the draft.
Mirrored my thoughts exactly jrry.

Athos

Legend
If Tavon learns to be a receiver he can twice as good as Cobb.

Well, first, he'd have to become as smart as Cobb is as a football player. Tavon will/hopefully become better, but smarts ain't his strong suit imo. Cobb was a former QB. Let's not discredit the guy with 28 TDs to his name in 3.5ish seasons. Rodgers is the best QB in the game, but it isn't all Rodgers. Cobb is a great talent in his own right.

But WR isn't our problem right now. You want a WR, you go out and draft Cooper/White/Parker/DGB/Greene/Smelter and save the FA bullets for someone else.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I'm gonna beat a dead horse here, but why a run first team that can't use the WRs it already has would spend 9 mil on another one is beyond me.
:hellno:

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
For me .. I'd re-sign britt and if we feel the need to upgrade the WR corps ... I like Cajuste out of Stanford. Reminds me of Jordy Nelson somewhat. Not as fast, but similar style and reliable hands. I think we could probably get him in the mid-late rds.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If the Rams can get Bradford to defer $9M of his current salary to a signing bonus spread out over the course of 3 years on a new contract extension, then okay.
Sign Cobb too.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams can get Bradford to defer $9M of his current salary to a signing bonus spread out over the course of 3 years on a new contract extension, then okay.
Sign Cobb too.

Bad. X. Bad.
bEiTL.gif

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
The Rams do mot need to be spending money on WRs. They are set at WR by just resigning Britt.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You know what takes the pressure off of an O-line?
Receivers who take defenders out of the box.

You know what gets defenders out of the box? Your starting QB actually being on the field. ;)

Plus, Randall Cobb isn't a deep threat. He's a slot WR. So he's not really the type of guy that takes defenders out of the box.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You know what gets defenders out of the box? Your starting QB actually being on the field. ;)

Plus, Randall Cobb isn't a deep threat. He's a slot WR. So he's not really the type of guy that takes defenders out of the box.
Yeah, all kinds of things loosen up defenses. At some point we have to improve where we can when we can regardless of what is perceived as the greatest need. Personally, I'm fed up to here (hand is raised above my head) with all the talk of rebuilding the offensive line. We've been doing that since 2006. Put a shit load of good talent on the field and suddenly the onus of being successful isn't put squarely on the line anymore.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, all kinds of things loosen up defenses. At some point we have to improve where we can when we can regardless of what is perceived as the greatest need. Personally, I'm fed up to here (hand is raised above my head) with all the talk of rebuilding the offensive line. We've been doing that since 2006. Put a crap load of good talent on the field and suddenly the onus of being successful isn't put squarely on the line anymore.

I don't care how long we've been doing it. The people in charge did a shitty job of it. It's time to stop putting band-aids on the problem. Seems like Fisher and Snead get it if we judge by what they wanted to do last year.

You can put a crap load of talent on the field at WR. It won't mean shit if you have a crappy OL and your QB ends up on IR.

Our WR corp isn't nearly as bad off as it seems. But even if you think we need a guy...Cobb isn't what we need. He's not a #1 WR. He's not a guy that is going to dictate what defenses do. He plays the same sort of role that Austin does...except he's a lot more polished.

So if that's the street we want to go down...go after a WR in the Draft. Don't spend a bunch of money on a slot WR that's been playing with the NFL's best QB.

I think Cobb is a quality slot guy...but nothing more than that. And that's not worth $9 million a year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't care how long we've been doing it. The people in charge did a crappy job of it. It's time to stop putting band-aids on the problem. Seems like Fisher and Snead get it if we judge by what they wanted to do last year.

You can put a crap load of talent on the field at WR. It won't mean crap if you have a crappy OL and your QB ends up on IR.

Our WR corp isn't nearly as bad off as it seems. But even if you think we need a guy...Cobb isn't what we need. He's not a #1 WR. He's not a guy that is going to dictate what defenses do. He plays the same sort of role that Austin does...except he's a lot more polished.

So if that's the street we want to go down...go after a WR in the Draft. Don't spend a bunch of money on a slot WR that's been playing with the NFL's best QB.

I think Cobb is a quality slot guy...but nothing more than that. And that's not worth $9 million a year.
I don't agree. We've had decent lines. Most notably in 2010, and 2012-2013. We've had some injuries and one or two bad players, but no NFL team has a perfect O-line from start to finish. If that's what it's going to take for this team to have some offensive success, then we're simply waiting for the odds to be in our favor. When you don't have good receivers, defenses can crowd the box. When you have a stable of good receivers, defenses have to respect the threat.

This is where you also disagree, btw. ;)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Personally, I'm fed up to here (hand is raised above my head) with all the talk of rebuilding the offensive line. We've been doing that since 2006. Put a crap load of good talent on the field and suddenly the onus of being successful isn't put squarely on the line anymore.
Good idea...
tumblr_ng1w80cdB71qhhxd4o4_250.gif

ausmurp

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't care how long we've been doing it. The people in charge did a crappy job of it. It's time to stop putting band-aids on the problem. Seems like Fisher and Snead get it if we judge by what they wanted to do last year.

You can put a crap load of talent on the field at WR. It won't mean crap if you have a crappy OL and your QB ends up on IR.

Cobb is not just a slot guy. He played on the outside a lot, and he has a lot of speed to someone else's post, he is a deep threat. He is very similar to Antonio Brown.

And I am ready to give up on Tavon, Cobb is what we expected Tavon to be.