Cobb wants $9M/yr so lets give it to him

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ausmurp

Starter
Apparently there is going to be a few options at WR in FA this yr only because their previous teams cannot afford them. I think it would be smart of the Rams to actually let Britt go into FA and target a much better player like Cobb. Then we can try to get Britt if nobody else does. Signing Cobb gives us the player we expected Tavon to be, so the next move would be to put Tavon on the trade block.

Though on the Rams targeting a true superstar WR in FA?

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Cobb is not a significant upgrade. He produced better with Rodgers throwing to him and McCarthy leading a veteran team as opposed to backups throwing to neophytes behind a patchwork line.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Cobb is not a significant upgrade. He produced better with Rodgers throwing to him and McCarthy leading a veteran team as opposed to backups throwing to neophytes behind a patchwork line.
Lol...yeah, no doubt about it Rodgers is the cream of the crop. But you really want to discredit Cobb that much? I think that is simply wrong.

Cobb is a great talent and would be an upgrade for the Rams. Having said that...I don't see this move happening, but it would be pretty exciting.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
IMO the Rams are going to keep who they have. Re sign Britt unless he goes some were else, I have a feeling Rams give him a offer. Quick comes back, Austin, Baily and Givins. Free agency will be position of need ( o-line, linebackers ) maybe QB. They want to stay young and go through draft to stay under cap.

iced

I'd be all for it but they can't afford his contract.. He would instantly become the best receiver on this team without question though

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I think the plethora of WR on the market should drive Britts price down a bit. Id keep Britt as a better value and proven asset to this team.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I think what this suggests is that Cobb is a great WR but only when paired with a west coast offense system. Recent comments surrounding Cignetti's promotion suggest the Rams want to move in that direction. If that's the case they may move to bring in WRs more like Cobb and less like Britt. The difference being that route running on shorter routes becomes more important than traditional WR skill. Good way it was summed up is:

"The receivers in a West Coast offense generally don't need the same level of talent as those in a Coryell, down-field passing game. The Coryell system would need play-making speedy receivers to go down field and make plays on the ball. The West Coast system is based on high-percentage, quick throws and yards after the catch." http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/1/16/3879192/andy-reid-west-coast-offense-chiefs-2013

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I certainly understand wanting to shell out for a proven commodity. I don't think it's the right move though.
And if you're willing to spend $9 Million on Cobb, a player that has nothing spectacular about him, why not just go all the way and make a play for Demarius Thomas? He's ridiculously athletic, a huge frame and he's proven that he can get results with guys like Orton and Tebow throwing him the ball.

Ltrautman

MIZ
Apparently there is going to be a few options at WR in FA this yr only because their previous teams cannot afford them. I think it would be smart of the Rams to actually let Britt go into FA and target a much better player like Cobb. Then we can try to get Britt if nobody else does. Signing Cobb gives us the player we expected Tavon to be, so the next move would be to put Tavon on the trade block.

Though on the Rams targeting a true superstar WR in FA?
Stedman bailey has the potential to be just as good, and I'm sure he would be if he had Aaron Rodgers throwing him the ball. Id rather resign Britt and find the answer at QB

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'd rather the Rams try to solidify the OL and defensive backfield.

Yes and we will need many attempts on this "TRY" stuff too to fix & fill so many H O L E S in our OL in comparison to any much lesser Ram receiver issues.

Buying another WR to join the receivers already here....Tavon Austin, Jared Cook, Brian Quick & Stedman Bailey will be a total waste of valuable few Ram cap $$ that will not improve this team.

IMO until the Rams fix the issues of the OL & the issues the pathetic weak OL causes our highly immobile & fragile QB effectiveness ....adding all the Randall Cobb's, Larry Fitzgerald's & Dez Bryant's does nothing to win more games.

Last edited:

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I don't understand the fascination with throwing more and more WRs at this bunch without ever getting a QB to throw to them or a line to protect him. Half of our woes come from those problems, but people just think we need to solidify our WRs more.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
If Tavon learns to be a receiver he can twice as good as Cobb.

Cobb was a QB coming out of college. He has an intuitive feel for the game. I could see a comparison between him and Bailey, not TA. TA is a different sort of beast. One that I hope we unleash asap.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Looking at the makeup of the Rams WR corps it makes more sense to retain Britt, than add another slot receiver type like Randall Cobb. A tall strong number 1 type is more important to the Rams offense. Cobb is not a number 1 WR, but more of a compliment to Jordy Nelson.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
We're good at WR, they just need experience.. and Schotty out of the picture since his system made it difficult for them.