Clowney goes #1 so who do you take at #2 (No Trade Down)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd still turn in Clowney's name because there's no other player worth taking. In the entire draft.

If I can't have Jadeveon then I don't want anybody else at all.

great to see you've come around to realise how good this guy is.

was it the running around in cirlces picking up tennis balls that finally convinced you?

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
You see i can't think of a worse possibility than QB at 2 (outside of the ridiculous ones; K, P, LS...). The way i see it is that while you need to take BPA, you only do so at positions of need. We don't need a high round QB. I would consider a QB to be a need in the 4th, 5th round, maybe 3rd at a stretch. So by that logic, taking Bortles (or any other QB(I consider Bridgewater the best in class)) at 2 is a waste of a pick.
Coupling that with all of the bullshit you'd be hearing from the media all summer about the 'QB competition' in St. Louis, and how they have 'given up on Sam', i don't think i could handle it. Every time Bradford threw an incompletion people would be screaming for Bortles. Just thinking of the possibility makes me feel ill :sick:

A55VA6

Legend
Well if we HAD to pick at 2 and Clowney is gone I'd go Watkins. I don't want to draft OL at #2, but that's just me.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
great to see you've come around to realise how good this guy is.

was it the running around in cirlces picking up tennis balls that finally convinced you?

Hey, I'm only human.
How could I not be swayed by a display like that.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That wouldn't be a Fisher-esk move at all.

Kahlil Mack may be the best value, here, but, Watkins would have the biggest impact, IMO.

Watkins or OT.
That would not be Fisheresque? He's a former DC and has a history of drafting more impact defenisve players than offensive players...Not discounting the impact that Watkins might have, but IMO the Fisheresque move undoubtedly would be Clowney or Mack!

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
If the Broncos, Saints or Patriots has the number 2 pick it would be a different story. All three of those teams are definitely going to need a new QB to start in the next few years, so it wouldn't be a big deal at all for them to take a QB at 2. i am of the opinion that Sam IS the man for us, and i don't think we'll be drafting a QB that will be needing to start any time on the next 8-10 years. So for me, it's really apples and oranges with the situations.
I do understand that people will always call for the backup, but when that backup is a #2 overall pick, you have all of the media stuff as well. Not to say that has any influence on the coaches at all, as i don't think it does, but it can be frustrating from a fans perspective(Imagine being a Jets fan over the last couple of years:sick:). I don't worry about the effect that drafting him would have on Sam at all. He is a professional and should be able to handle it.
It's more the fact that we would be wasting a #2 overall pick, in a very talented draft, on a player that is unlikely to even start. I would MUCH rather use that pick on either OL or even Watkins: players that could immediately contribute, and improve, our team. I guess it really come down to how much confidence you have in Sam as to how high you're willing to draft a QB. I just don't see it as that much of a need.
Going back to the '12 draft, if we hadn't been able to trade out of #2, at the time i was happy for us to take either Matt Kalil or Justin Blackmon(In that order) at that pick. Whilst i understand that on most peoples draft boards, RG3 would have been MUCH higher. I wouldn't have even considered it as a possibility as i don't see QB as a need, and i feel as though whilst you should take BPA, it should only be at a position of need. For the record, i was never, and still am not a big RG3 guy. More hype than substance for me. We all saw what happened this year when his ability to run was taken away from him. He looked very average(at best) from the pocket.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Trade down to 5 or 6 and pick up the top rated LT + an extra pick in the 2nd or 3rd to add depth to our secondary. Clear as day to me. ;)

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
That would not be Fisheresque? He's a former DC and has a history of drafting more impact defenisve players than offensive players...Not discounting the impact that Watkins might have, but IMO the Fisheresque move undoubtedly would be Clowney or Mack!

You misunderstood me, bro. Drafting Mathews or any OL'man high isn't Fisheresque.

Yes, playmakers on either side of the ball are his style. Clowney or Mack fit that bill, totally agree.

scifiman

To me it is a no brainer. If Clowney is there hard not to draft him. But the best choice might be a player who plays for like 12 years or so and is all-pro. That guy is Mathews. Play him at RT or LG to start off and back up Long. Would be great having Clowney but Mathews brings more value to the team at this time than Clowney.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You misunderstood me, bro. Drafting Mathews or any OL'man high isn't Fisheresque.

Yes, playmakers on either side of the ball are his style. Clowney or Mack fit that bill, totally agree.
Sorry...Got it, but Fisher never had a Matthews to draft and in the end this is the guy I feel the Rams will end up with because of a trade down of course, which this thread did not allow.

Also it would not be shocking if the Rams had to stay at two and Fisher campaigned for Matthews, IMO, he likes not only his ability, but also his last name. And I realize some feel that should mean nothing, but many felt the Bears reached on Kyle Long and he had one heck of a rookie year.