Cleveland taking Kessler in round 3...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I lol'd.

Waste of that round 3 pick to take him that high IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO, Cleveland is going to regret not making better use of this QB class. IMO, there were 5 QBs that they could have drafted and developed that had the potential to be a solid starter or better. Cleveland went after none of them. They took a career backup imo.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I disagree. Kessler has very smooth and deliberate footwork and is one of the best short-game passers available. He's also very good at sensing pressure. If you watch his presence in the pocket, you'll see it. He doesn't have a huge arm and can't drive the ball, but he has pretty drops - from 3, 5 and 7. Not ideal size, obviously, but I've heard a lot of people say he has a high football IQ and could eventually become an NFL QB coach when all is said and done.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I like Kessler.
Not as big or strong as you'd like, but he's scrappy and smart.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think they are expecting to be picking very high next year and have an additional 1st rounder. So good chance they end up with the Clemson QB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The QB reach I would have approved there in round 3 is Doughty.

I will say Jackson deserves the benefit of the doubt, but I have seen too much of Kessler and know better. He will be a disappointment even with great coaching. Dude is not an NFL QB.

PartyKane

UDFA
Name
Alex Maldonado
As a fan of SC football, I am so glad Kessler is no longer the starter.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
IMO, Cleveland is going to regret not making better use of this QB class. IMO, there were 5 QBs that they could have drafted and developed that had the potential to be a solid starter or better. Cleveland went after none of them. They took a career backup imo.

Agreed. I do like Jackson but sometimes that new coach swag might delude one into outsmarting oneself. He's good, but he's not that good as an offensive mind.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, kinda. But you can draw comparisons between thousands of QBs over the years. Some just make better use of what they do well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. I do like Jackson but sometimes that new coach swag might delude one into outsmarting oneself. He's good, but he's not that good as an offensive mind.

I don't know that this was him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't know that this was him.
It was.

"Accuracy (is what I'm looking for),'' said Jackson. "He has pinpoint accuracy. He can throw the ball straight to the guy he's throwing it to, and if you can't, you can't play in the NFL.''

Jackson also cited Kessler' touchdown-to-interception ratio of 88-19 and his experience in a pro-style offense.

"He's everything you look for in a quarterback,'' said Jackson. "We're bringing him in for a reason -- because he has the characteristics we're looking for. Let's give him an opportunity to compete. Hopefully he'll ascend up the ladder.''

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/04/usc_quarterback_cody_kessler_d_1.html

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree. Kessler has very smooth and deliberate footwork and is one of the best short-game passers available. He's also very good at sensing pressure. If you watch his presence in the pocket, you'll see it. He doesn't have a huge arm and can't drive the ball, but he has pretty drops - from 3, 5 and 7. Not ideal size, obviously, but I've heard a lot of people say he has a high football IQ and could eventually become an NFL QB coach when all is said and done.

He's polished but he just doesn't have the upside imo. I saw a small QB who was easily rattled with an underwhelming arm and athletic ability. Struck me as a career backup type. Can manage the game well. Smart QB. Will do well in the locker-room. But too limited to be a full time starter.