Cleveland serious about trading out?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Two overall is not as hard to get to, and ensures one of the top two signal callers. Rams could make that move early and sit back and relax...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I read an article asking if Wentz or Goff would be Clevelands next Tim Couch. Maybe they are thinking that the team needs to be in better shape before drafting a young QB. If I was the Cleveland GM I would take Wentz and sit him on the bench for a year. Two drafts and one more free agent period should be enough to get the offense looking decent. They have a decent Oline. Get some weapons, how hard can that be? Late Round RB, one or two WRs a TE. That is doable in this draft and the next plus FA next March.

I say this because they are in position to draft a QB. They may not be in a year or two. Unless of course they think the QBs next season will be better and they will be close enough to the top to get one.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
I'm interested to see how the Moneybags approach plays out in Cleveland. Maybe neither Wentz or Goff meet the desired parameters and someone like Jack/Ramsay are a better fit? The Browns are the biggest wildcard at the top.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I think the only way they trade out is if someone trades into the #1 spot and drafts Wentz. I'm not sure if there willing to take Goff at #2. If Wentz is sitting there at 2 hes a brown.

I guess theres a small chance that if Wentz is sitting there at 2 that someone just blows them away with an offer to trade up. But I think it will need to be an RG3 like haul to get them to move out.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I read an article asking if Wentz or Goff would be Clevelands next Tim Couch. Maybe they are thinking that the team needs to be in better shape before drafting a young QB. If I was the Cleveland GM I would take Wentz and sit him on the bench for a year. Two drafts and one more free agent period should be enough to get the offense looking decent. They have a decent Oline. Get some weapons, how hard can that be? Late Round RB, one or two WRs a TE. That is doable in this draft and the next plus FA next March.

I say this because they are in position to draft a QB. They may not be in a year or two. Unless of course they think the QBs next season will be better and they will be close enough to the top to get one.

If the Browns believe that their preferred QB Wentz will be taken with the first pick thus leaving them the smaller framed Goff they may rethink the 2016 draft.They could be thinking that Deshaun Watson comes out early in 2017 & prefer his talents to go with the many extra talented starters they would get from a trade down of their #2 overall this draft. Could be very smart thinking.

WestCoastRam

Legend
The wildcard is the "Moneyball" analytics guy. If they identify something like "on-base percentage" for QBs or "number of picks in draft = success" I can absolutely see them wanting to trade out or even perhaps taking Ramsey or someone at two.

To be honest, I don't see why you hire a guy like that unless you're going to go all-in on his draft philosophy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
They will not take Goff at 2. I am certain of that, due to his slight build, their need to retool their OL, and his small hands. Their new coach has already gone on record re: hand size. If they go QB there at 2 it will be Wentz.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Tennessee is the big wild card. What they do... Trickles down.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
If the Browns believe that their preferred QB Wentz will be taken with the first pick thus leaving them the smaller framed Goff they may rethink the 2016 draft.They could be thinking that Deshaun Watson comes out early in 2017 & prefer his talents to go with the many extra talented starters they would get from a trade down of their #2 overall this draft. Could be very smart thinking.

OK if so, then..... which team (besides the team who traded their teams future draft for the Titans overall first pick) would be more pro Goff or con Goff on the smaller framed & smaller handed warm weather QB.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Unfortunately I have a suspicion that we are trading down with Denver if Lynch is still on the board at 15, not trading up. Just a gut feeling. :( hope I am wrong.

Go Rams......... ;)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Two overall is not as hard to get to, and ensures one of the top two signal callers. Rams could make that move early and sit back and relax...

I think it would be STUPID on their part to trade out! Look at what the could get for their team, even IF they didn't go QB!!!?!
* OT Tunsil
* DE's Bosa, Bruckner, or even Lawson
*CB/FS Ramsey
But it is Cleveland, they haven't shown themselves to be too Bright!!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unfortunately I have a suspicion that we are trading down with Denver if Lynch is still on the board at 15, not trading up. Just a gut feeling. :( hope I am wrong.

Go Rams......... ;)
I cant see dropping to 31. If Lynch is on the board at 15 I would be shocked that the Rams don't take him, and that other teams don't trade up for him (Jets at 20 for instance)

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Go Rams......... ;)

For what? Their 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th? That would be about even on the trade charts - yes, I know trades don't always match that, and can be higher or lower, but that would seem to be the starting point of negotiations. I suppose if the Rams really like a bunch of guys figuring to go in the 2nd round, they could consider that. Especially if they like a QB they think will go in the 2nd, that could make sense - get their QB, and have 3 extra picks besides to fill a bunch of holes.

I have to admit I'd love for them to pick up a big bodied DT to back up Brockers, and this would give them the ammo to do it. But it would also mean they wouldn't get a higher impact prospect.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If I was the Cleveland GM I would take Wentz and sit him on the bench for a year.
Hue might think he can grab a Lynch, Cook, maybe even a Hackenberg or Brissett. Sit him for a year or 2...Then come out with a better Andy Dalton with more pieces around him. I sure the recent troubles with Gordon influenced his decision.....

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
For what? Their 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th? That would be about even on the trade charts - yes, I know trades don't always match that, and can be higher or lower, but that would seem to be the starting point of negotiations. I suppose if the Rams really like a bunch of guys figuring to go in the 2nd round, they could consider that. Especially if they like a QB they think will go in the 2nd, that could make sense - get their QB, and have 3 extra picks besides to fill a bunch of holes.

I have to admit I'd love for them to pick up a big bodied DT to back up Brockers, and this would give them the ammo to do it. But it would also mean they wouldn't get a higher impact prospect.

To be honest.... I have no idea why they would do this.... I cannot even put my finger on why I think this.... that's why I call it a hunch. ...I hope I am dead wrong.... but between all the prospects who have been reported to visit with the Rams....the fact that Denver needs to trade up for Lynch.....and the fact that Fisher/Snead seem to have this smarter than anyone else persona...during the draft....maybe a few other things..... I think there's even a possibility that they think that Mannion will be they're long term qb in the near future. ...I'm not sure.. anyway I reiterate. ...I hope I'm wrong..

Go Rams....... ;)

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Only the Browns are stupid enough to trade out of getting the hardest player to find, a franchise QB for a handful of lesser players at lesser positions.
All that guarantees them is enough wins not to be able to draft the QB they need for the next few years.
Stupid is what stupid does.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I know most of these young draftees are polished media-wise so he'd never admit to it, but Wentz must be bricking it at the thought of being drafted by the Browns. A young QB can have his career ruined by the situation he finds himself drafted into. Look at David Carr. He never recovered.

I suppose this would be an argument for the Browns not drafting him at all and moving down and building a better situation for a drafted QB to come into next year. Or for Wentz to sit for a year while that rebuild takes place like others have suggested.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If both #1 and #2 are willing to trade down, it will reduce the cost of moving up ... for better or worse.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Only the Browns are stupid enough to trade out of getting the hardest player to find, a franchise QB for a handful of lesser players at lesser positions.
All that guarantees them is enough wins not to be able to draft the QB they need for the next few years.
Stupid is what stupid does.

Hubris. New coach riding his high from success with two median QB talents in Cincinnati. He's seeing all the holes in his roster and envisioning a similar approach with a game manager QB and better talent around him.

I understand the idea of it, but when you're already there and have two excellent QB prospects the wise choice is to take one of them. Bill Obrien of the Texans is a top offensive mind too, and that approach didn't work so well with him when he passed on Bortles to take the supposed rare DE in Clowney. If you don't have a QB, having a 50% chance to fill it up high is not something you should pass on.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Cowherd reporting the Browns have concerns about Wentz. Too much they don't know about him. In other words he is too much of a risk to use the second overall pick on. Too many unanswerable questions.

They now like Goff better but apparently think he will be there in a small trade down. But, if they cannot trade the pick, they would take Goff.

So, then both top two QBs will be gone early because Dallas likely takes Wentz. That would raise demand for Lynch.