Chud still an option at OC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Should have an answer this week. I hope Jeff Fisher has one good sales job left in him and maybe he'll give Chudzinski total control. Otherwise Chud could end up with a division rival and that would suck. Plan B IMO will be Rob Boras as OC and Nathaniel Hackett as the new Tight End Coach. Hackett coached Tight Ends at Syracuse before becoming Offensive Coordinator.

jap

Legend
I think that's what we've been waiting on. Here's hoping he's realizes that the 50% shot of Bradford playing is still better than the 99% shot of Kaepernick. :LOL:

. . . as well as the 99% shot of working with Tavon Awesome.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Now it's effin TUESDAY? Grr.

So painful.

FRO

Legend
I think he picks the 49ers, but if we land him we will have two top tier coordinators and our offensive language would stay the same. Let's hope Fisher can lure him in.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
What gives OCs HC interviews are either being top offenses or dramatic improvements. With SF having Kaep at QB and an aging Frank "jingle balls" Gore, in this division are they likely to IMPROVE much? Some, maybe...Greg Roman was no slouch.

The Rams, otoh, are primed and ready for significant improvement and while it will be clear to even knowledgeable fans let alone NFL Personnel people that a new OC would only be partly responsible for any improvement, they'd get almost all the credit.

WestCoastRam

Legend
The QB situation with the 49ers is far preferable but lets just hope that lug of a coach in San Fran scares him off. It'll be working with our staff more than anything else that will convince him to choose STL over SF. Let's also remember that Chud would possibly have to fill out his offensive staff in SF (not sure how many remain and if he'd want to keep them) vs having a staff in place here... that being said, maybe you want to hand pick your guys???

paceram

Pro Bowler
The QB situation with the 49ers is far preferable but lets just hope that lug of a coach in San Fran scares him off. It'll be working with our staff more than anything else that will convince him to choose STL over SF. Let's also remember that Chud would possibly have to fill out his offensive staff in SF (not sure how many remain and if he'd want to keep them) vs having a staff in place here... that being said, maybe you want to hand pick your guys???

I am guessing that a coach would prefer to bring in as many of his own staff as possible so that just might work in the 49's favor (I hope not!)! I am also guessing that if the Rams have any hope of convincing Chudzinski of accepting their offer it will probably come down to his thoughts on Jeff Fisher (Hopefully, it is very favorable!) and money (Hopefully, the Rams give him a very good offer!)!

paceram

Pro Bowler
1. Chud
2. Boras

Do you think it is really down to those two coaches? Are there any other coaches (Weiss, Martz, etc) that could also be candidates for the Rams OC job? I do agree that if the Rams can't get Chudzinski that Boras is a very good possibility (But, somehow that doesn't really excited me too much).

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Exactly, this reeks of the Colts trying to work up a new deal with Chud. Otherwise, this would unnecessarily make the organization look like a bunch of bitches.
What halons to there O/C ? Does that leave another animate for a O/C position ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
W
I dont know which job gets Chud HC consideration the fastest
Turning around the Rams with TE Cook, possibly Kendricks
Re-establishing the 49ers with TE Davis
Riding the Luck train in Indy

I suppose it comes down to what his goals are. If he wants the HC gig, St Louis is as good as any. And if he could turn it around in a season? Might be the fastest

But if he wants to be on a winning squad? St Louis is short straw I'm afraid
WHAT KIND OF RAM fan R U ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
R
I think he picks the 49ers, but if we land him we will have two top tier coordinators and our offensive language would stay the same. Let's hope Fisher can lure him in.
Really Fro ??
Oh -And for your pic I don't think I like the Bieber as much as your Richard Simons ? That is saying a lot. --Just gross.
--I don't know about some of you Ram fans either ?? I try to keep it positive.
Stan weather Ram fans like him or not spends money on his coaches.Just ask Jeff Fisher.
--What
  1. What Gun-Double-Right-Close-Halfback-Right-200-Scat-Triple-Slant-Thunder-on-One Means

To anyone besides a football player, an NFL play call sounds like long-winded gibberish. Former NFL quarterback Chris Simms gives us his favorite play call -- and explains what it means.

By STU WOO
    Jan. 25, 2015 7:05 p.m. ET
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/super-bowl-xlix-how-to-comprehend-a-quarterbacks-play-call-1422230712

In terms of linguistics, Super Bowl XLIX on Sunday will be a battle between verbose and curt.

The long-winded team is the Seattle Seahawks. In the huddle before a play, quarterback Russell Wilson once said this: “Gun double right close halfback right 200 scat triple slant thunder on one.”

The terse team is the New England Patriots. As he is running to the line of scrimmage, quarterback Tom Bradymight say only one word, like “Alabama!”

This is how quarterbacks tell their teammates what play they are going to run. In today’s copycat National Football League, every team runs pretty much the same plays, but—in part to mask what they are about to do—each of the 32 teams has its own language to communicate the calls.

BN-GP416_playca_P_20150125142056.jpg

No matter the team, every quarterback is doing the same thing when reciting a play call. He is relaying to his teammates four pieces of information:

• What formation the team will use.

• Whom the linemen will block.

• Where the receivers will run.

• When the center will snap the ball.

For example, when Chris Simms was a Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback from 2004 to 2006, he said one of his favorite plays was “west right slot 72 Z bingo U split on one.”

“West right slot” was the formation, Simms said. The number “72” indicated that the five linemen and one running back would block pass rushers. “Z bingo U split” told the receivers where to run—“bingo” being a route with a 90-degree right turn, “split” being a zig-zagging route downfield. And “on one” meant the center would snap the ball the first time that Simms yelled for it.

That language that Simms used is a descendant of the West Coast offense, which legendary former San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh pioneered in the 1970s and 80s. It is the basis of the play-calling language that the Seahawks and many others use today. In this lingo, teams often use colors and directions to describe formations, numbers to describe blocking assignments and letters and words for pass routes.

The other popular play-calling language is a numbers-based system popularized by Don Coryell, the revolutionary former San Diego Chargers coach. Kurt Warner used the system when he was the St. Louis Rams’ quarterback. One of his favorite plays was “trips right scat right 525 F post swing.” Each of the numbers in “525” told a receiver what to do. In this case, two receivers would run the route that corresponded to “5,” while the other receiver would run the “2” route.

Former New York Jets and current Buffalo Bills coach Rex Ryan said he replaced numbers with words in his play calls because of his reading disorder. “I don’t want to hear the digits,” he said. “Being dyslexic, it screws up the order.”

This isn’t all as complicated as it sounds. The advantage of these languages is that only the quarterback needs to understand the entire play. A receiver, for example, needs only to hear the formation and his own route.

“When you have a lot of verbiage, you’re telling everybody what to do, and that’s great,” said Tennessee Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt.

The downside of such long play calls is obvious: They take a long time to say, and they can be misheard. Even brainy quarterbacks such as Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers have been caught on tape struggling to remember play calls with 10 or more words.

The Patriots use a language that isn’t quite comparable to West Coast or Coryell-inspired lingo. They also have several plays that are just one or two words long, which is useful given their bent toward calling plays quickly without a huddle.

IAaPEt8.jpg

(not part of the original article)

“You memorize, ‘Hey, it’s play number 4,’ and everybody knows what to do and it’s quick in the huddle,” said Jacksonville Jaguars coach Gus Bradley.

The downside of the one-word play? It’s more difficult to memorize. It’s counterintuitive that simpler could be harder, but in this case it means the 11 offensive players have to remember the formation, blocking assignments and receiving routes assigned to that one word. “With the one word, it might take some learning right away,” Bradley said. But if the team has run play No. 4 a lot in practice, “you roll,” he added.

Every team has a scaled-back version of the Patriots’ one-word offensive play calls for no-huddle and two-minute drill situations, Whisenhunt said. But he doesn’t think that either the Patriots or Seahawks have an edge with their particular play-calling languages. “They’re both pretty effective,” he said.

What’s difficult is what happens when coaches and players switch teams. Whisenhunt was the Arizona Cardinals’ head coach from 2007 to 2012, and then in 2013 became the offensive coordinator in San Diego, which had assembled a staff with coaches from a variety of backgrounds.

“We took San Diego’s offense, we took Buffalo’s offense, we took Arizona’s offense and we took Denver’s offense and we put all those things together,” he said. The result was a new, hybrid play-calling language.

Rex Ryan, who became the Buffalo Bills’ coach this month after the New York Jets fired him in December, said he and his new assistants would create a new language in Buffalo. He said his play calls would contain as few numbers as possible because of his reading disorder. “I don’t want to hear the digits,” he said. “Being dyslexic, it screws up the order.”

This can be tough on quarterbacks who switch teams. Warner, who played for the Rams, New York Giants and Cardinals, said that a blocking scheme called “ace” on one team was called “76” on another. Warner said that upon hearing the new lingo, he would try to translate it in his head into a more familiar language.

“It’s a two-step process,” he said, “like going ‘Hola’ means ‘Hello.’ ”

Write to Stu Woo atStu.Woo@wsj.com
    Today at 5:25 PM

Like + Quote Reply
    CGI_Ram likes this.

2. Boffo97Still legal in 17 states!
    New

IAaPEt8.jpg

Should have been.

Also penalize him for being on field without a helmet... ;)
    25 minutes ago
have not heard from
What happens to there O/C ? Does that leave another animate for a O/C position ?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Imo no way he chooses us. Just don't see it. Qb situation is hurting us

Maybe it depends on who he has a better relationship with, or which front office is more amenable. Rememeber Baalke couldn't get along with Harbaugh. Which nutjob in the league gets rid of a very successful head coach like that? Reeks of disfunction to me. I would choose the better employer. Plus the Niners are starting to age in key spots and their Oline was not much better than the Rams Oline.

I just hope Chud gives both sides a chance to woo him. I think Fisher and Snead can make a pretty good pitch for Chudzinski.

FRO

Legend
R

Really Fro ??
Oh -And for your pic I don't think I like the Bieber as much as your Richard Simons ? That is saying a lot. --Just gross.
--I don't know about some of you Ram fans either ?? I try to keep it positive.
Stan weather Ram fans like him or not spends money on his coaches.Just ask Jeff Fisher.
--What
  1. What Gun-Double-Right-Close-Halfback-Right-200-Scat-Triple-Slant-Thunder-on-One Means

To anyone besides a football player, an NFL play call sounds like long-winded gibberish. Former NFL quarterback Chris Simms gives us his favorite play call -- and explains what it means.

By STU WOO
    Jan. 25, 2015 7:05 p.m. ET
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/super-bowl-xlix-how-to-comprehend-a-quarterbacks-play-call-1422230712

In terms of linguistics, Super Bowl XLIX on Sunday will be a battle between verbose and curt.

The long-winded team is the Seattle Seahawks. In the huddle before a play, quarterback Russell Wilson once said this: “Gun double right close halfback right 200 scat triple slant thunder on one.”

The terse team is the New England Patriots. As he is running to the line of scrimmage, quarterback Tom Bradymight say only one word, like “Alabama!”

This is how quarterbacks tell their teammates what play they are going to run. In today’s copycat National Football League, every team runs pretty much the same plays, but—in part to mask what they are about to do—each of the 32 teams has its own language to communicate the calls.

BN-GP416_playca_P_20150125142056.jpg

No matter the team, every quarterback is doing the same thing when reciting a play call. He is relaying to his teammates four pieces of information:

• What formation the team will use.

• Whom the linemen will block.

• Where the receivers will run.

• When the center will snap the ball.

For example, when Chris Simms was a Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback from 2004 to 2006, he said one of his favorite plays was “west right slot 72 Z bingo U split on one.”

“West right slot” was the formation, Simms said. The number “72” indicated that the five linemen and one running back would block pass rushers. “Z bingo U split” told the receivers where to run—“bingo” being a route with a 90-degree right turn, “split” being a zig-zagging route downfield. And “on one” meant the center would snap the ball the first time that Simms yelled for it.

That language that Simms used is a descendant of the West Coast offense, which legendary former San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh pioneered in the 1970s and 80s. It is the basis of the play-calling language that the Seahawks and many others use today. In this lingo, teams often use colors and directions to describe formations, numbers to describe blocking assignments and letters and words for pass routes.

The other popular play-calling language is a numbers-based system popularized by Don Coryell, the revolutionary former San Diego Chargers coach. Kurt Warner used the system when he was the St. Louis Rams’ quarterback. One of his favorite plays was “trips right scat right 525 F post swing.” Each of the numbers in “525” told a receiver what to do. In this case, two receivers would run the route that corresponded to “5,” while the other receiver would run the “2” route.

Former New York Jets and current Buffalo Bills coach Rex Ryan said he replaced numbers with words in his play calls because of his reading disorder. “I don’t want to hear the digits,” he said. “Being dyslexic, it screws up the order.”

This isn’t all as complicated as it sounds. The advantage of these languages is that only the quarterback needs to understand the entire play. A receiver, for example, needs only to hear the formation and his own route.

“When you have a lot of verbiage, you’re telling everybody what to do, and that’s great,” said Tennessee Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt.

The downside of such long play calls is obvious: They take a long time to say, and they can be misheard. Even brainy quarterbacks such as Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers have been caught on tape struggling to remember play calls with 10 or more words.

The Patriots use a language that isn’t quite comparable to West Coast or Coryell-inspired lingo. They also have several plays that are just one or two words long, which is useful given their bent toward calling plays quickly without a huddle.

IAaPEt8.jpg

“You memorize, ‘Hey, it’s play number 4,’ and everybody knows what to do and it’s quick in the huddle,” said Jacksonville Jaguars coach Gus Bradley.

The downside of the one-word play? It’s more difficult to memorize. It’s counterintuitive that simpler could be harder, but in this case it means the 11 offensive players have to remember the formation, blocking assignments and receiving routes assigned to that one word. “With the one word, it might take some learning right away,” Bradley said. But if the team has run play No. 4 a lot in practice, “you roll,” he added.

Every team has a scaled-back version of the Patriots’ one-word offensive play calls for no-huddle and two-minute drill situations, Whisenhunt said. But he doesn’t think that either the Patriots or Seahawks have an edge with their particular play-calling languages. “They’re both pretty effective,” he said.

What’s difficult is what happens when coaches and players switch teams. Whisenhunt was the Arizona Cardinals’ head coach from 2007 to 2012, and then in 2013 became the offensive coordinator in San Diego, which had assembled a staff with coaches from a variety of backgrounds.

“We took San Diego’s offense, we took Buffalo’s offense, we took Arizona’s offense and we took Denver’s offense and we put all those things together,” he said. The result was a new, hybrid play-calling language.

Rex Ryan, who became the Buffalo Bills’ coach this month after the New York Jets fired him in December, said he and his new assistants would create a new language in Buffalo. He said his play calls would contain as few numbers as possible because of his reading disorder. “I don’t want to hear the digits,” he said. “Being dyslexic, it screws up the order.”

This can be tough on quarterbacks who switch teams. Warner, who played for the Rams, New York Giants and Cardinals, said that a blocking scheme called “ace” on one team was called “76” on another. Warner said that upon hearing the new lingo, he would try to translate it in his head into a more familiar language.

“It’s a two-step process,” he said, “like going ‘Hola’ means ‘Hello.’ ”

Write to Stu Woo atStu.Woo@wsj.com
    Today at 5:25 PM

Like + Quote Reply
    CGI_Ram likes this.

2. Boffo97Still legal in 17 states!
    New

IAaPEt8.jpg

Should have been.

Also penalize him for being on field without a helmet... ;)
    25 minutes ago
have not heard from
We were all supposed to change our avatars for luck. I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic. As someone who follows the Rams closely I see vast potential with this offense provided two things happen, one Bradford stays healthy and two the line is vastly improved. I think Bradford has all the tools in the world to be a top tier QB. What has hindered him was poor play around him early and injuries as of late. We saw all camp and in preseason the guy was ready to take that next step. I think we need to get a better veteran option behind him, or even to push him. Winston and Mariota will be gone, and the resources we will have to spend to move up and get one of them will clearly hinder our ability to improve the line. No rookie QB would play well behind our line. Not many veteran QBs would either.

We have a nice stable of RBs. Mason, Cunningham, and Stacy are three very good backs. All young, so there is a big plus for a new coordinator.

We have a decent WR/TE group. It's not a great group, but it's very solid.

Offensive line just sucks. That being said we have 2 nice building blocks in Robinson and Saffold.

I see potential. The problem is of you don't follow this team closely you probably don't see it. The 49ers have the name regonition. We don't. Let's hope Fisher can sell Chud on potential and lots of cash.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Do you think it is really down to those two coaches? Are there any other coaches (Weiss, Martz, etc) that could also be candidates for the Rams OC job? I do agree that if the Rams can't get Chudzinski that Boras is a very good possibility (But, somehow that doesn't really excited me too much).

Those are just my choices. Would be happy with Weis too.