Chris Shula promoted to DC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I was hoping for someone from a different system that was aggressive and kept offenses guessing, so I guess today I am disappointed. On the other hand I haven't got a clue, I just know what I like or dislike when I see it. So as with every change this team makes I am hopeful it works out and the D improves significantly.
The Rams D last year kept defenses guessing.

Pretty much the only way they survived.

Didn’t have the talent to just lineup and beat people.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Exactly, let's take a gamble on a guy during the very short window we might have with Stafford and Donald to win another SB.
Just reminds me of another Joe Barry lol!

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
The Rams D last year kept defenses guessing.

Pretty much the only way they survived.

Didn’t have the talent to just lineup and beat people.
Yeah. Kept them guessing on whether they were gonna play 10yds or 20yds yards off on 3rd and 6.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah. I am.

It's a hire than an organization like this shouldn't make. You can't tell me there weren't available coaches out there much better than Chris fn Shula.
How do you know that though. His last out of nowhere hire was Staley and that one worked out very well.

I've gotten to the point where I think McVay makes both coordinators better. Might be wrong on that but it's the feel I get.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Exactly, let's take a gamble on a guy during the very short window we might have with Stafford and Donald to win another SB.
After 7 years, you don't think they know exactly what they are getting. I would say it is a very conservative move. Going with what you know.

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
Straight tired bullshit.

Yawn.
It's funny that you yawn.. it's the same damn thoughts the opposing offense had when game planning vs our Raheem defense.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Well, I will reserve judgement until I see his performance, but I don't like it.

If his last name was Smith, he would be working at McDonald's instead of coaching football.
That is a... crazy ridiculously harsh assessment. So he's been a net negative to us?

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I'll reserve judgment for now. It isn't fair to judge Shula when he's never been a defensive coordinator before. Everyone has to start from somewhere. For all we know, he could have played a hand in some of the good adjustments we made on defense last year or made awesome schematic or personnel suggestions for the defense during his interview. McVay wasn't a hugely known name when he was hired so you can't judge someone just by their name. He does come from a family of deep football knowledge so he may have more to offer than folks know. All and all, just happy that our D coordinator hire is settled. Time to move on to cheering the Chiefs on and also talking about the draft/FA possible additions :biggrin:

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
“Shula has been with Rams head coach Sean McVay in Los Angeles since February 2017, when he was hired as a defensive assistant. He was a defensive quality control coach with the Chargersfor two years before joining the Rams.”

“Shula and McVay were college teammates at Miami (Ohio) from 2004 to '07.”

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Straight tired bullshit.

Yawn.
I Am Groot No GIF by Disney+

ottoman89

Name
Josh Otto
“Shula has been with Rams head coach Sean McVay in Los Angeles since February 2017, when he was hired as a defensive assistant. He was a defensive quality control coach with the Chargersfor two years before joining the Rams.”

“Shula and McVay were college teammates at Miami (Ohio) from 2004 to '07.”

Fuck, I gotta deal with "nepotism" with the Iowa Hawkeyes and Rams now too.

/s

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah. I am.

It's a hire than an organization like this shouldn't make. You can't tell me there weren't available coaches out there much better than Chris fn Shula.
Salty pig farmer! ~ Chris

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I wonder what style of defense he will employ? I’m sure our defense will have more talent than the one we had this past season

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Well, he will probably leave us after back to back SB championships! It’s hard to build a dynasty.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I was hoping for someone from a different system that was aggressive and kept offenses guessing, so I guess today I am disappointed. On the other hand I haven't got a clue, I just know what I like or dislike when I see it. So as with every change this team makes I am hopeful it works out and the D improves significantly.
Well, as far as aggressiveness goes and @JimY53 can speak to this. We were definitely more aggressive this year (if by aggressive you mean blitzs).

The blitz's just didn't get home.

We didn't have the horses. It will be amazing next year if FA and draft go well how "more aggressive" we'll be without doing hardly anything different.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
And I’m thinking we are going D with our first pick!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How do you know that though. His last out of nowhere hire was Staley and that one worked out very well.

I've gotten to the point where I think McVay makes both coordinators better. Might be wrong on that but it's the feel I get.
Shula homer!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
It's funny that you yawn.. it's the same damn thoughts the opposing offense had when game planning vs our Raheem defense.
Yeah… if you live in a bubble.

If you listen/read outside a Rams-only universe… the D was highly praised this year.. for its results with truly a gutted roster.

It’s one of the reasons Morris is a HC now.

But… you do you. Just keep on hating.