Chris Shula promoted to DC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Can't say this is exciting but at least they went through a search process. It didn't seem like a knee jerk thing.

Also, I wonder how much input Donald had on the search. Vet near retirement. Most important player on D. Perhaps he had a say?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Interesting. I find it difficult to form any opinion on this hire.

I guess we wait until we see what he can do next season.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
The same people saying this is a bad move would've been upset that he got signed by Miami. Clearly, there's something there if McVay felt he was worth holding onto.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
What a massive L

But earlier today you posted this. Maybe you're getting what you want.

I'm getting antsy. I don't want a retread at DC.. want someone who continues to evolve McVays mind and introduces him to the evolving defenses. Not a lot of the same that we've had.

I'd like a guy who will run an attacking hybrid, not bend but don't break.

Also someone who's going to bring toughness and attitude. I'm getting tired of being soft on defense and just getting pushed around.

I want to be the bad motherfuckers for a change.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know about as much about how Chris Shula will perform as our DC as I knew about how Sean McVay was going to perform as our HC when we hired him.

So that’s about all I have to say about that.
Couldn't have said it better! ~ Forest Gump

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Well, I will reserve judgement until I see his performance, but I don't like it.

If his last name was Smith, he would be working at McDonald's instead of coaching football.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay isn't a coach with a natural tendency to promote from within. He strikes me as the type to favor shiny objects. So for Chris to get this gig and getting it over a candidate in Staley who put up the top defense in the NFL a couple seasons ago... Maybe the man deserves a little cred. Maybe that interview was a slam dunk.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Well, I will reserve judgement until I see his performance, but I don't like it.

If his last name was Smith, he would be working at McDonald's instead of coaching football.
The last line is the product of a reflexively aggrieved mindset.

Like you know what the kid is made of.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Will be interesting to see how he does. McVay has done well thus far with his defensive hires. Hopefully, Shula continues the trend.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Shula was a linebacker at Miami (Ohio) from 2004-08, where he was a teammate of Rams Head Coach Sean McVay for four seasons.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I think some y’all just want a shiny new toy. I for one trust McVay and Snead 100% here. No way they give him the DC job for such a big upcoming season if they were not excited to have him. They could hire anyone. Great team, great owner and an easy stepping stone to a HC job. It’s a prime job opening- maybe THE prime opening. I think McSnead know what they are doing here.

I just hope he has his own exciting vision of what the DC and defense will be. Rather than simply following the D playbook the prior couple years.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah. I am.

It's a hire than an organization like this shouldn't make. You can't tell me there weren't available coaches out there much better than Chris fn Shula.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I was hoping for someone from a different system that was aggressive and kept offenses guessing, so I guess today I am disappointed. On the other hand I haven't got a clue, I just know what I like or dislike when I see it. So as with every change this team makes I am hopeful it works out and the D improves significantly.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Jones took off because he was good, in his third year, and helped win a SB without Wagner.

Yeah, like Kyle only got hired cuz he was Mike's kid - shitty coach.

That's just like...your opinion man. And basically a bad one.
Bonus points…. Dude….

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Yeah. I am.

It's a hire than an organization like this shouldn't make. You can't tell me there weren't available coaches out there much better than Chris fn Shula.
Exactly, let's take a gamble on a guy during the very short window we might have with Stafford and Donald to win another SB.