Chris Shula promoted to DC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Another thing to think about, if this guy ends up being really good, then it's a one year deal. He gets a job next year somewhere else, and we don't get continuity.

If he's bad, then we are stuck with him, because McVay won't fire his buddy.

If he's average, we are stuck with him as well.

I wanted a proven commodity, not a roll of the dice.

Psycho_X

Legend
Shula's job just got tougher. Potentially taking over as whipping boy in the GDT.

conan obrien whip GIF by Team Coco
angry homer simpson GIF
GDT week 1 within the first couple pages there will be at least one post from one or two specific posters calling Shula an idiot. I bet $100k ROD $s.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another thing to think about, if this guy ends up being really good, then it's a one year deal. He gets a job next year somewhere else, and we don't get continuity.

If he's bad, then we are stuck with him, because McVay won't fire his buddy.

If he's average, we are stuck with him as well.

I wanted a proven commodity, not a roll of the dice.
There is no such thing as a proven commodity
And this "wont fire his buddy" stuff is a bit juvenile

WestCoastRam

Legend
Lol what? You're really over hyping your point to the point of ridiculousness. Now if you want to say how many coaches in prep, college, low end pro jobs didn't get a chance because of their name than sure there is some argument to that but to just throw out bagging groceries as the alternative is just dumb.

Chris Shula has a degree in sports studies and 14 years of resume building to get to this point in time. I would agree his name probably helped him starting out to fast track in the college ranks but after that there is nothing abnormal to his progression compared to any other coach in the NFL. Hell he has more of a right (if basing off experience) to a d-coord job than McVay ever had when he became an O-coord in Washington.
If you can bag a grocery... you can destroy a 5 man protection scheme.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Rams will play these fronts on base downs, primarily, have since 2020 will probably
in 2024

2024-02-02_13-20-54.jpg
2024-02-02_13-20-26.jpg
2024-02-02_13-20-12.jpg

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
There is no such thing as a proven commodity
And this "wont fire his buddy" stuff is a bit juvenile
A proven commodity is someone that has actually ran an NFL defense at a high level.

And John Wolford was his buddy. Look how long it took to get rid of him.

Ram65

Legend
Well, he has been with McVay and the Rams for 7 seasons. He had a lot of good coaches with good schemes to learn from. He has coached most defensive positions.

Time will tell but, I can't get upset about McVay's choice. I bet he does a good job.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A proven commodity is someone that has actually ran an NFL defense at a high level.

And John Wolford was his buddy. Look how long it took to get rid of him.
Who is this proven commodity?
Please elaborate
Staley? 1 year of success, 3 years of failure
John Wolford was a coach? Who knew?

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Past performance does not always equal future success and past failures
do not ban anyone from future success

Spags has coached some of the best and worst defenses of past 20 years
circumstances vary, players vary, offenses vary ... his assistants vary, he varies

but all got their start somewhere - some good success early then dropped off
others the opposite ...

just no way to know what will happen with Shula

2024-02-02_13-40-42.jpg
2024-02-02_13-41-36.jpg

2024-02-02_13-43-52.jpg

2024-02-02_13-49-16.jpg

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Shula wasn't my personal first choice, but I trust in McVay to know who's ready and be prepared. Some people seem to forget Staley's first 4 games with us were not #1 defense stats, hopefully Shula is given some leeway for the first few games.

THIS ... is ROD!!! ... We Don't do Leeway around here.

1706908386996.png

PARAM

Hall of Fame
My bet…He’ll be HC somewhere else next year!
Well if he has success, that can be expected. He'll have that AND NFL royalty in his name. Why wouldn't a Florida NFL team (in need) want to one up the Dolphins? But first it'll require success. Stay tuned.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Past performance does not always equal future success and past failures
do not ban anyone from future success

Spags has coached some of the best and worst defenses of past 20 years
circumstances vary, players vary, offenses vary ... his assistants vary, he varies

but all got their start somewhere - some good success early then dropped off
others the opposite ...

just no way to know what will happen with Shula

View attachment 64310View attachment 64311
View attachment 64313

View attachment 64314
Can add Fangio to this. Mixed bag of success and not so much

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wouldn't be the first time a hire went south for McVay. Liam was a failure, though it could be argued it was more due to personnel shortage on the line. But either way you're not wrong to question it. I am in no way sure he's going to succeed.

Not particularly impressed either, though I think him beating out Staley is impressive and counts for something. Only reason I'm not worried is because I know McVay nukes this shit.
AND he beat out our guy, Aubrey.~ @WestCoastRam and Me.

oldnotdead

Legend
Past performance may not equal future success, but varied experience provides a larger knowledge base upon which to draw on.

Shula coached under Phillips, Staley and Morris, each with their own style and philosophy of playing defense. So who knows, perhaps Shula will run a hybrid of all of them. Why not? That is a strength, not a weakness.