Chris Shula promoted to DC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
After a dozen beers I'm liking this even less.
Nothing impressive about this guy except his last name.
I hope he proves me wrong.

Oh, and I don't want McVay anywhere the defense. He's got enough on his plate as head coach AND play caller. He needs to step up his red zone offense in particular, not becoming defensive coordinator number two.
I don't think I could disagree more.

My old boss was a NFL Europe coach and son of a Rams equipment manager. He used to talk about what makes Belicheat a great coach. He insisted that it was because Belicheat knew all aspects of his team - offense, defense, ST.

While neither of us could stand Belicheat, you could see that he was right. He was heavily involved in all aspects.

I think McVay is of this mindset. I believe he expects to learn and have an influence in all aspects of the team in order to be a great coach.

I think he chose Shula in part because they have learned together and methodically so.

He knows what Shula knows and can be actively involved in the defense without actually having to be heavily involved in how it is run and practiced.

I could be all wet on this but I don't think so. It seems to be how McVay continues his development and excitement for coaching.

Just my theory.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
I wonder how many potentially great coaches are stuck bagging groceries that will never get a chance because their grandpa wasn't a coach.
Or if gramps wasn't a GM..... Hmmmm.... :wow2:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Read a headline that the Rams interviewed Greg Williams for a LB-coach role ... and I screamed ... Noooo!!!

Then read the article by Cameron Dasilva; and saw it was Not THAT Gregg Williams but the Green Bay Packers' 2023 Pass Game Coordinator Greg (one G) Williams (47) who has almost 15 years of NFL experience coaching LBs and DBs (mostly DBs). Just an interview reported.

Interesting to note that Chris Shula held the LB-coach title; and Jimmy Lake the Pass Game Coordinator role.

Williams (IF hired), along with Giff (Win One for the Giffer) Smith (new DL coach / Run-Game-Coordinator) would represent two experienced hires to the defensive staff.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
1707253684777.png

Greg Williams​

PASSING GAME COORDINATOR (DEFENSE)​

Entering his 15th season as a coach in the NFL, Greg Williams begins his first year with the Packers as the team's passing game coordinator (defense).
Named to his position on March 10, 2023, by Head Coach Matt LaFleur, Williams comes to Green Bay after spending the past four seasons as the cornerbacks coach for the Arizona Cardinals (2019-22). He also coached one season with the Denver Broncos (2018), two with the Indianapolis Colts (2016-17) and seven with the San Diego Chargers (2009-15). Williams coached five seasons at the collegiate level prior to joining the Chargers.
In 2022, Williams guided a cornerback group that helped Arizona rank No. 2 in the league in yards allowed per completion (10.10), the top single-season mark by the Cardinals since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger. Arizona allowed only 40 completions of 20-plus yards on the season, tied for No. 3 in the league. In 2021, Williams' cornerbacks helped the Cardinals rank No. 7 in the NFL in takeaways (27) and No. 8 in offensive points allowed (349).
In 2020, Williams helped the Cardinals rank No. 10 in the NFL in passing defense (226.4 ypg) as CBs Patrick Peterson and Dre Kirkpatrick both posted three interceptions. Second-year CB Byron Murphy Jr. registered two sacks and two fumble recoveries, one of only two CBs in the NFL in 2020 to register multiple sacks and multiple fumble recoveries as he became the first Cardinals CB in team history (since 1982) to accomplish that feat in a season. Williams also tutored Murphy in 2019, who started all 16 games and ranked tied for No. 3 in the league among rookies with 10 passes defensed.
In his lone season with Denver in 2018, Williams helped the Broncos tie for No. 5 in the league with 17 INTs as CB Chris Harris was selected to the Pro Bowl after posting a team-best three INTs and a sack. S Justin Simmons ranked No. 2 on the team with a career-high 97 tackles (71 solo) while tying Harris for the team lead with three INTs. The Broncos held their opponents to 27 points or less in 14 games on the season, tied for the most in the NFL.
Williams spent the previous two seasons (2016-17) with the Colts, tutoring Malik Hooker in '17 as he finished tied for No. 3 among NFL rookies with three INTs despite playing in just seven games on the season. Williams also worked with veteran CB Rashaan Melvin, who posted career highs in INTs (three) and passes defensed (13) in 2017.
Williams served as the assistant secondary coach for the Chargers from 2013-15, where he worked with S Eric Weddle, who was selected to the Pro Bowl in both 2013 and 2014. San Diego ranked No. 4 in the league in passing defense (214.2 ypg) and No. 9 in total defense (ypg) in 2014.
Williams served as the assistant linebackers coach for his first four seasons (2009-12) with the Chargers, including one season (2012) when he assisted current Packers defensive coordinator Joe Barry. In 2012, Williams was part of a staff that helped San Diego rank No. 9 in the NFL in total defense (326.4 ypg) and No. 6 in rushing defense (96.4 ypg). The Chargers registered 38 sacks on the season (tied for No. 11 in the NFL), with 21 of them coming from their linebackers as Shaun Phillips posted a team-best 9.5 sacks. In 2011, Williams helped tutor LB Antwan Barnes, who posted a career-high 11 sacks despite starting just five games on the season. In 2010, the Chargers ranked No. 1 in the NFL in both in total defense (271.6 ypg) and passing defense (177.8 ypg) and were tied for No. 2 in the league in sacks (47) as Phillips registered a team-high 11 sacks on the way to earning his first career Pro Bowl selection. In 2009, Phillips led the NFL with a career-best seven forced fumbles and LB Stephen Cooper added a career-high three forced fumbles.
Williams began his coaching career at Arizona State as an intern in 2003 and then worked as an assistant coach at the College of DuPage for two seasons (2004-05). He served as the defensive backs coach and recruiting coordinator at Arkansas Tech in 2006-07 before working as a graduate assistant at the University of Pittsburgh in 2008.
Williams played wide receiver and safety at the University of North Carolina (1994-97) before entering the NFL as an undrafted free agent with the Chicago Bears in 1998. He spent time in training camp with the Bears and the N.Y. Giants and also played two seasons (1999-2000) with the Amsterdam Admirals of NFL Europe, earning All-Europe recognition in 1999 after leading the league with six INTs. Williams also played one season with the San Francisco Demons (2001) of the XFL and five seasons in the Arena Football League with the Indiana Firebirds (2001-03) and the Chicago Rush (2004-05).
Williams earned first-team All-America honors from USA Today, Parade and SuperPrep as a senior at Bolingbrook (Ill.) High School. He was a unanimous all-state selection and was named the Player of the Year in the state of Illinois by Gatorade, the Chicago Sun-Times and the Chicago Tribune.
In May 2023, Williams represented the Packers at the NFL's Coach Accelerator in Minneapolis, which aims to increase exposure between owners, executives and diverse coaching talent. He was one of 40 participants that attended based on their high potential to be considered for a head-coach position in the future.
Williams was born March 12, 1976, in Bolingbrook, Ill. He has two sons, Junior and Dominic.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Just out of curiosity, what makes people think McVay is heavily involved in defense? I've seen nothing to indicate as such. Even the head coaches most involved in the other side of the ball are still quite barely involved when looking at the context of everything that goes on that side of the ball.

Some HC join a meeting here or there, dictate a philosophy on various sides of the ball, get on the mic and say "run the ball here" (if defensive HC) occasionally but I'm not sure people have reasonable assumptions of what it looks like for a HC to be involved in multiple sides of the ball. It's just not possible.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Really sounds like D runs through Jones. If we lose Fuller this offseason, we're gonna need to find a guy who can green dot if something happens to Jones.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Just out of curiosity, what makes people think McVay is heavily involved in defense?
I can't say whether McVay is or not. But from video I have seen, he seems to work with all the groups to an extent - not just offense. I doubt he is in the player group meetings much if at all but I would be shocked if he doesn't have regular meetings with his coaches to discuss game planning, scheming, specific plays, etc... He may not call plays on the sidelines (I really doubt he does) but I bet he and his DC are on their headsets with each other in certain circumstances.

I do know from what McVay has said in the past that he is a big fan of Belicheat as a coach. I know from talking to my former boss and watching Belicheat on the sidelines with him, he is very involved in even ST decisions. I respect my former boss' knowledge of NFL and college coaches as he was friends with a great number of them and was an NFL-lite coach.

I am kinda connecting the dots. McVay just doesn't strike me as the kind of coach that is settled with not knowing everything he can about all aspects of his team. The buck stops with McVay. And I think he is pretty involved with the entire team.

As I said before, this is all just a theory based on what I've heard and seen from McVay as well as what kind of a coach I see in him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just out of curiosity, what makes people think McVay is heavily involved in defense? I've seen nothing to indicate as such. Even the head coaches most involved in the other side of the ball are still quite barely involved when looking at the context of everything that goes on that side of the ball.

Some HC join a meeting here or there, dictate a philosophy on various sides of the ball, get on the mic and say "run the ball here" (if defensive HC) occasionally but I'm not sure people have reasonable assumptions of what it looks like for a HC to be involved in multiple sides of the ball. It's just not possible.
Interviews where he and Morris both said the defense is run the way McVay wants.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Shula is "coachable" many big names are not so maybe this is why McVay promoted him as well as the fact that the players seem to love him. I think its a good promotion because he is up to speed with what the Rams are trying to do. And you have to admit he worked his way up the ladder. Think about the great talent in an office mail room who gets passed over by some outside hire and when he gets his chance he dominates the company.... lets give the man a chance.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I am kinda connecting the dots. McVay just doesn't strike me as the kind of coach that is settled with not knowing everything he can about all aspects of his team. The buck stops with McVay. And I think he is pretty involved with the entire team.

As I said before, this is all just a theory based on what I've heard and seen from McVay as well as what kind of a coach I see

You mean like Landry used to be. Or Shula? Isn't it a head coach's JOB to be involved in both sides of the ball? If it's my ass, I'm making damn sure what I want done is being done. On both sides of the ball. That's not being in somebody's business. It's not stepping on somebody's toes. It's being the head coach. And from all accounts I've ever read, the guy has off the charts football smarts...on both sides of the ball.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I can't say whether McVay is or not. But from video I have seen, he seems to work with all the groups to an extent - not just offense. I doubt he is in the player group meetings much if at all but I would be shocked if he doesn't have regular meetings with his coaches to discuss game planning, scheming, specific plays, etc... He may not call plays on the sidelines (I really doubt he does) but I bet he and his DC are on their headsets with each other in certain circumstances.

I do know from what McVay has said in the past that he is a big fan of Belicheat as a coach. I know from talking to my former boss and watching Belicheat on the sidelines with him, he is very involved in even ST decisions. I respect my former boss' knowledge of NFL and college coaches as he was friends with a great number of them and was an NFL-lite coach.
Yes and the great head coaches know their shit on both sides of the ball. As meticulous as McVay is in gameplanning, and the way he brought in Staley to learn Fangio's defense, there is no way he's letting a DC be autonomous. Doesn't fit my perception of him at least.

Also and btw using Belicheat as an example Parcells would routinely correct him on calls and approach he wanted for game situations. Clearly BB is a an all time great DC and more accomplished as a head coach than Parcells. But I think he was sharpened to who he became by his years under Parcells.

It would be nice to see McVay grow an appreciation for Special Teams though. I think that's on his to-do list.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Unless the wheels completely fall off and Shula looks completely incompetent, he's going to need all the patience in the world from us this season.