Chris Givens - A Tale of Two Seasons/TST

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
April 23rd 2014
Ankle injury hampered Chris Givens most of last season.
Rams receiver Chris Givens didn't use it as an excuse, but conceded a nagging ankle injury bothered him most of last season, reports the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Givens had zero touchdown catches after an impressive rookie year in which he caught three scoring passes and produced a reception of 50 or more yards in five straight games.

"It’s been the longest offseason of my life,” Givens said at the start of the offseason conditioning program. "It’s just a constant reminder every day of what I didn’t accomplish — all because I got in my own way. So I’ve been waiting for this day for the longest (time)."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1707637/chris-givens

He definitely limped off the field a lot last year. I don't doubt it was nagging him.

If so; was a one-legged Givens the best starting option then?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
St. Louis Rams: Chris Givens - A Tale of Two Seasons
By CharlesMartel
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/6/14/5809294/a-new-look-at-chris-givens-a-tale-of-two-seasons

This left Chris Givens often facing a lessor defensive back, one on one, and many times out of the slot. He found himself open often, and Sam and Chris connected for some solid, if not Earth-shattering numbers. Then, of course, both Amendola and Gibson were lost to free agency. This left Givens as the defacto number one and reaping all the attention that entails. Better corners and more safeties over the top.

Only time will tell for Chris Givens if he can truly step up and be the #1 wideout, or if he will flourish more as the #3/slot guy. Naturally, if he ends up as that slot receiver, the question is, who will be that #1?

Okay, I hate to sound like such a smart arse but I feel like TST should have higher standards than this. I know it is a fan blog but this guy has no idea what he's talking about.
1) Chris Givens did not do his damage in 2012 out of the slot.
2) If Danny Amendola was on the field as the writer contends, in a 3 WR formation, Givens was absolutely not in the slot.
3) Our top 3 WRs in slot route% in 2012 were Amendola(80%), Pettis(60%) and Steve Smith(53%). Givens was at 15%.
4) Givens is not and will never be a slot WR. If he doesn't progress, he'll max out at a Devery Henderson like #4 situational deep threat.

I won't even bother with the rest of the article but it shocks me that TST would put a piece out there so lacking in football and Rams knowledge.