Chris Givens - A Tale of Two Seasons/TST

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
St. Louis Rams: Chris Givens - A Tale of Two Seasons
By CharlesMartel
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2014/6/14/5809294/a-new-look-at-chris-givens-a-tale-of-two-seasons

What explains his drop in production last year, and what can we expect of Givens this coming season?

Rams news these last months, whether article or video, have all followed a similar path -The defense rocks, the offense is a big question mark. Of the pundits commenting on the Rams offense, most of the talk has been about Bradford and his ACL injury/recovery. After dissecting that angle for the ga-jillionth time, they trot out the now stale lines about the receivers...no true #1 wideout, someone needs to step up, etc. etc.

This has lead me to start taking a closer look at those receivers. On paper, there seem to be a wealth of talent. Yet, we all know they had a less than stellar year last season. The quick and easy (lazy) answer is that Sam Bradford went down for the season in week 7, and while Kellen Clemens played his heart out, he just doesn't have the arm of a starter. Is that really all there is to it?

Being unsatisfied with the lazy answer, I start looking and I quickly zeroed in on Chris Givens. Givens, to me, seems to personify the Rams receiver corps. Talented, but not putting up the numbers expected of that talent. Further, his two seasons as a Ram, have been quite different in production.

Quick stats-

2012 - 42 receptions for 698 yards and 3 TDs on 81 targets (rookie)

2013 - 34 receptions for 569 yards and 0 TDs on 83 targets

That's a pretty solid outing for a rookie, followed by a not-so-solid outing in 2013. What happened? It can be written off as a sophomore slump, or we can recall how it's often said that wide receiver is the hardest position to transition to in the NFL. Again, this seems like the lazy answer to me. I feel compelled to write those arguments off as cliches... Then I remember that cliches are cliched for a reason. Those tacks have merit. Still, I want more explanation. Was it really because Sam Bradford was out for half the season?

More quick stats-

Games 1-7 2013 Season

18 receptions for 295 yards. He was targeted 40 times.

Games 8-16

16 receptions for 274 yards. He was targeted 43 times.

So, we see the two halves of last season are so close it makes no difference (I am not a math whiz). Since he had only one reception in the game vs Carolina, and I can't determine who threw that ball, I consider it inconsequential. The first half of the season was marginally better than the second, statistically. It should be noted that by far his best game was in week two vs Atlanta, where he had 5 receptions for 105 yards. All in all, I reject the change of quarterbacks argument. It doesn't hold a lot of weight.

So what explains his drop in production then?

Danny Amendola and Brandon Gibson. While this wasn't in the same league as Isaac Bruce and Tory Holt, this was a good wide receiver tandem and opposing defenses schemed for them. This left Chris Givens often facing a lessor defensive back, one on one, and many times out of the slot. He found himself open often, and Sam and Chris connected for some solid, if not Earth-shattering numbers. Then, of course, both Amendola and Gibson were lost to free agency. This left Givens as the defacto number one and reaping all the attention that entails. Better corners and more safeties over the top.

Only time will tell for Chris Givens if he can truly step up and be the #1 wideout, or if he will flourish more as the #3/slot guy. Naturally, if he ends up as that slot receiver, the question is, who will be that #1?

Speeps

Starter
In football, and in most sports, the answer is often multi-parted. I don't agree with the "Amendola/Gibson" argument.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Could the drop-off in his 2013 play, wk.1-7 vs wk.8-16, be attributed to the changing of QB's, and QB quality of play. Bradford vs Clemens?

ausmurp

Starter
Can you show how many drops he has his rookie season compared to last yr. I feel like he was a drop machine last yr. Will never forget the wide open pointless leap kick attempt he made against SF. He doesn't jump and blow that he runs in for a TD...

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
In football, and in most sports, the answer is often multi-parted. I don't agree with the "Amendola/Gibson" argument.

I agree the answer is multi-parted and I think one of those parts was Givens graduating up from freshmen nicklebacks to Master cornerbacks. I think perhaps Givens had some personal issues, and since Givens is a long ball guy I'm sure Bradford's early exit effected Givens.

Perhaps Givens entered last season a little on the cocky side of life, and Chris underestimated how quick defensive coordinators would adjust to his 2012 style. I'm sure Givens caught some defenses off guard his rookie season, and that had defenses saying " Trick me once shame on you, trick me twice shame on me."

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Me either. If Givens needs teams to scheme away from him... Then how good is Givens?

And... No way teams were sliding extra coverage over to Gibson. Be real.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Me either. If Givens needs teams to scheme away from him... Then how good is Givens?

It means that Givens is a number 2 and can't and shouldn't be leaned on to shoulder the team, which is what he's always been. I don't know where anybody got this notion that he was going to be our number one from, he was never drafted to be that. Quick over Givens is enough testament over that. Reminds of an Avery situation to be honest, good kid, good talent, but playing out of position so people were expecting something from him that he just was not going to bring.

I disagree with the bolded as well. It was fairly obvious that if Amendola wasn't an option, then Gibson was Bradford's go to guy. Gibson drew coverage simply because he was the guy Bradford was looking for and by doing so severely limited his options, forcing him to throw elsewhere and you know how that went.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I believe it IS a multi-faceted explanation for last yr's drop off.
1) Coming in a little cocky and not realizing what was needed to "improve" himself yr to yr.
2) I believe he had an ankle injury or something he was dealing with last season?
3) the loss of SB. The deep ball (CG's specialty) was out the window once Sam went down.
4) N other WR was really helping to draw coverages away from him. Every WR can use some help in that area from time to time
5) I think his confidence and mental state started lacking as the season progressed and issues started piling on. Young guy who needs to learn to keep focusing and man up.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Givens is a Robert Meachem type of guy. Remember when he went to San Diego to be "the guy"? Well it didn't work out, and he went right back to New Orleans and became their deep threat again.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think the definition of a number one receiver varies. For some, Givens was the best returning receiver so he was automatically number one. For others, a number one is a high quality, proven guy like Bruce or Holt, meaning we had no number one.

Givens was drafted in the 4th round. He showed why last year. Maybe he just isn't as good as we originally thought. Maybe its as simple as that.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It means that Givens is a number 2 and can't and shouldn't be leaned on to shoulder the team, which is what he's always been. I don't know where anybody got this notion that he was going to be our number one from, he was never drafted to be that. Quick over Givens is enough testament over that. Reminds of an Avery situation to be honest, good kid, good talent, but playing out of position so people were expecting something from him that he just was not going to bring.

I disagree with the bolded as well. It was fairly obvious that if Amendola wasn't an option, then Gibson was Bradford's go to guy. Gibson drew coverage simply because he was the guy Bradford was looking for and by doing so severely limited his options, forcing him to throw elsewhere and you know how that went.

Okay, so let's say they did scheme Gibson...

Wouldn't you think the combo of Austin and Cook garnered even more attention away from Givens?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Okay, so let's say they did scheme Gibson...

Wouldn't you think the combo of Austin and Cook garnered even more attention away from Givens?
Cook barely ever got in, because we're a power running team and him not blocking dampens that and also, opinions ahoy here. I think he wasn't putting in 100% last season anyways, so there's no reason to scheme for a guy who doesn't get in and doesn't seem to be putting in the same effort.

It took Austin about 4 games to the final one last year to finally get going, I don't know about you, but if I was a DC I wouldn't be terribly frightened by 207 in his first 9 games with a best of 47. Say what you want about Gibson, I'd probably agree, the guy was in way over his head, but he had already established that with Bradford he could do some things. He did have 1399 yards in 123 receptions with 4 TDs.

Cook hasn't proven he's anymore viable than usual and Austin took his time to prove it, thus the only real reliable threat in anybody's mind was probably only Kendricks and Givens. Probably why both their production dropped with that and Bradford being one the sideline.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Cook barely ever got in, because we're a power running team and him not blocking dampens that and also, opinions ahoy here. I think he wasn't putting in 100% last season anyways, so there's no reason to scheme for a guy who doesn't get in and doesn't seem to be putting in the same effort.

It took Austin about 4 games to the final one last year to finally get going, I don't know about you, but if I was a DC I wouldn't be terribly frightened by 207 in his first 9 games with a best of 47. Say what you want about Gibson, I'd probably agree, the guy was in way over his head, but he had already established that with Bradford he could do some things. He did have 1399 yards in 123 receptions with 4 TDs.

Cook hasn't proven he's anymore viable than usual and Austin took his time to prove it, thus the only real reliable threat in anybody's mind was probably only Kendricks and Givens. Probably why both their production dropped with that and Bradford being one the sideline.

My argument isn't as much about Gibson, instead challenging that article's claim that Givens was somehow getting more attention without Gibson in 2013.

I hear what you are saying (both Cook and Austin) were not consistent out there, but I'd argue they still gave DC's more concern than any weapons from 2012... Thus Givens slump had nothing to do with getting more attention in 2013.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
OK, only 25% of the offense is a question mark. We know our running game will be stout, that's at least half. Our passing game will be average a worste, that's another 25%.

The remaining 25% is left up to potential.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
OK, only 25% of the offense is a question mark. We know our running game will be stout, that's at least half. Our passing game will be average a worste, that's another 25%.

The remaining 25% is left up to potential.
And .... health

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
He is lacking some bulk and tenacity. Amendola was small, but man was he tough....Givens will fade away in 2 years and no team will want him. Ooops, sorry, that sounds so negative. I wouldn't even mind if he the were #6 mystery man off the bench.

Memphis Ram

Legend

According to Givens and someone else I've read, teams were playing the safety over the top of him quite a bit last year. Makes sense as the team's main deep threat, Austin initially running mostly shorter routes, and no one else forcing teams to alter their coverage.

How good is Givens? I believe he's another good complementary WR that some wanted to the be this so-called necessary #1 WR after his rookie season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
According to Givens and someone else I've read, teams were playing the safety over the top of him quite a bit last year. Makes sense as the team's main deep threat, Austin initially running mostly shorter routes, and no one else forcing teams to alter their coverage.

How good is Givens? I believe he's another good complementary WR that some wanted to the be this so-called necessary #1 WR after his rookie season.

This, plus Clemens didn't have the deep ball to stretch the field vertically.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
April 23rd 2014
Ankle injury hampered Chris Givens most of last season.
Rams receiver Chris Givens didn't use it as an excuse, but conceded a nagging ankle injury bothered him most of last season, reports the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Givens had zero touchdown catches after an impressive rookie year in which he caught three scoring passes and produced a reception of 50 or more yards in five straight games.

"It’s been the longest offseason of my life,” Givens said at the start of the offseason conditioning program. "It’s just a constant reminder every day of what I didn’t accomplish — all because I got in my own way. So I’ve been waiting for this day for the longest (time)."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1707637/chris-givens