Chris Dorner manhunt (Southern California)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I know there's a few Southern Californian's here, and although I'm sure most have heard about Chris Dorner, but if not you should.

I'm not sure what has been released to the public and what hasn't, so I wont go into as much detail. For those who don't know, Chris Dorner is a former officer in the Naval Reserve and a former LAPD officer. He was fired after filing a false claim against another officer (among other things), and has thus declared 'war' on the LAPD. He's specifically targeting officers that had to do with his firing, the officer he made a false claim about, those on his board that ruled for dismissal, and even the lawyer (former LAPD officer) who defend him. He's not just targeting those officers though, he's targeting their families, as he didn't feel he had a good one, thus he wants to destroy theirs. On top of that he's targeting any LAPD officer he see's (or any police officer it seems at this point). He's already killed the daughter of the lawyer who defended him, as well as her fiance. He's wounded two other officers (one seriously) and killed one, before going into hiding. His truck was found in Big Bear (about a 100 miles east of LA), however searching is turning up nothing, and he could have slipped out and back towards the city long ago to continue trying to get to his specific targets.

As a result there's a heavy police presence in the city. Pretty much every local police agency, as well as Federal agencies are here in Southern California and Nevada as part of the hunt, so if you're driving around don't be shocked if you see them. Because it's unknown if he's in another vehicle it's highly advisable that if you come to a road block you keep your hands on the wheel and don't reach for anything or make sudden movements. Officers will open fire if they feel threatened enough. LAPD is no longer taking minor calls either, they're only responding to major threats, I'm not sure if other agencies are doing this as well, but I'd assume some are at least. He's been down towards San Diego as well, so it's wide spread.

So be safe if you're in the city. And if you see anyone that looks like they could be Dorner (African American male, bald, 6 foot, pretty built) just call the police and stay out of his way. He's heavily armed (pistols, AR's and likely more), and very dangerous. There's more information online (including his manifesto which he tries to claim he's innocent) if you wish to look more.

Be safe fellas!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, been following this a little bit on CNN.

Bet you ANYTHING that this is turned into a movie when all is said and done. Either made for TV, or actual big screen. There's no way that nobody in Hollywood isn't already contemplating it and feathering the script as we speak.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
X said:
Yeah, been following this a little bit on CNN.

Bet you ANYTHING that this is turned into a movie when all is said and done. Either made for TV, or actual big screen. There's no way that nobody in Hollywood isn't already contemplating it and feathering the script as we speak.
Or one of those "ripped from the headlines" scripts that are plugged into the plot of some current show, the names changed so they can sensationalize it.

It appears this guy was a ticking time bomb before he was dismissed from the LAPD in 2008. Almost sounds like his problems were ignored big time.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is a crazy story. Yes, it will be a movie at some point.

bluecoconuts

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hope not, rather not make a cop killer even more famous than he is now. Media wants him to be Rambo. Fact is he's just a nut job that was trained by some of the best. He'll likely take the cowards way out anyway.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
From Chris Dorner's manifesto:

I will conduct DA operations to destroy, exploit and seize designated targets. If unsuccessful or unable to meet objectives in these initial small-scale offensive actions, I will reassess my BDA and re-attack until objectives are met.

I have nothing to lose. My personal casualty means nothing. Just alike AAF's, ACM's, and AIF's, you can not prevail against an enemy combatant who has no fear of death. An enemy who embraces death is a lose, lose situation for their enemy combatants.

Hopefully you analyst have done your homework. You are aware that I have always been the top shot, highest score, an expert in rifle qualifications in every unit I've been in. I will utilize every bit of small arms training, demolition, ordnance, and survival training I've been given.

Do you know why we are unsuccessful in asymmetrical and guerrilla warfare in CENTCOM theatre of operations? I'll tell you. It's not the inefficiency of our combatant Commodes, planning, readiness or training of troops. Much like the Vietnam war, ACM, AAF, foreign fighters, Jihadist, and JAM have nothing to lose. They embrace death as it is a way of life. I simply don't fear it. I am the walking exigent circumstance you created.

The Violence of action will be HIGH. I am the reason TAC alert was established. I will bring unconventional and asymmetrical warfare to those in LAPD uniform whether on or off duty. ISR is my strength and your weakness. You will now live the life of the prey. Your RD's and homes away from work will be my AO and battle space. I will utilize every tool within INT collections that I learned from NMITC in Dam Neck. You have misjudged a sleeping giant. There is no conventional threat assessment for me.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
CGI_Ram said:
From Chris Dorner's manifesto:

I will conduct DA operations to destroy, exploit and seize designated targets. If unsuccessful or unable to meet objectives in these initial small-scale offensive actions, I will reassess my BDA and re-attack until objectives are met.

I have nothing to lose. My personal casualty means nothing. Just alike AAF's, ACM's, and AIF's, you can not prevail against an enemy combatant who has no fear of death. An enemy who embraces death is a lose, lose situation for their enemy combatants.

Hopefully you analyst have done your homework. You are aware that I have always been the top shot, highest score, an expert in rifle qualifications in every unit I've been in. I will utilize every bit of small arms training, demolition, ordnance, and survival training I've been given.

Do you know why we are unsuccessful in asymmetrical and guerrilla warfare in CENTCOM theatre of operations? I'll tell you. It's not the inefficiency of our combatant Commodes, planning, readiness or training of troops. Much like the Vietnam war, ACM, AAF, foreign fighters, Jihadist, and JAM have nothing to lose. They embrace death as it is a way of life. I simply don't fear it. I am the walking exigent circumstance you created.

The Violence of action will be HIGH. I am the reason TAC alert was established. I will bring unconventional and asymmetrical warfare to those in LAPD uniform whether on or off duty. ISR is my strength and your weakness. You will now live the life of the prey. Your RD's and homes away from work will be my AO and battle space. I will utilize every tool within INT collections that I learned from NMITC in Dam Neck. You have misjudged a sleeping giant. There is no conventional threat assessment for me.
He sounds reasonable. I'm sure he'll turn himself in...OK, perhaps that's a tasteless joke.

I hope they catch this guy before he harms anyone else.

bluecoconuts

Legend
He wont turn himself in. He's a smart man, but he has a history of violence (dating back to early elementary school) and mental issues. It was never severe though, so it mostly went unnoticed. Anger issues for sure, and a history of lying. He would constantly file reports while in LAPD that would be dismissed on lack of evidence. He would then say that it was the system and other officers were racist and that's why they wanted to fire him. Fact is, in his very short time in LAPD he had filed numerous false reports, lied, showed violent tendencies towards other officers, and was suspended for poor conduct. He was a bit full of himself and exaggerated his abilities and training a bit as well, both in the military and the police department.

At this point the likely best case scenario is that he decided to suck start his rifle. However at this point most aren't banking on that.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Dorner has been cornered in a cabin, shot and killed one officer, wounded another in a shootout. SWAT from several agencies, federal officers and police have shut down and surrounded the entire area. This will end soon, hopefully without anymore blood, but I'm thinking that Dorner wont allow himself to be taken alive. Personally I hope he just does it himself so no other officers are injured in this.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So much for never being caught. :neh:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yeah, he took some people hostage and one escaped and called the police. The cabin he hid in caught on fire, police say they didn't start it, so my guess is he just decided to go out in flames. Literally.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
bluecoconuts said:
Yeah, he took some people hostage and one escaped and called the police. The cabin he hid in caught on fire, police say they didn't start it, so my guess is he just decided to go out in flames. Literally.

Lets just say I think the police are lying. Their story on the fire has changed far too much. And I think it's disgusting that they tried to smoke a suspect out.

bluecoconuts

Legend
That's common practice, especially with someone like Dorner. He killed himself before any flames hit him.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
jrry32 said:
bluecoconuts said:

Lets just say I think the police are lying. Their story on the fire has changed far too much. And I think it's disgusting that they tried to smoke a suspect out.
I must admit I haven't not followed this story at all. But I'm curious, what about the story changed? And do we know for sure that the guy X'd himself, or is that just a story?

bluecoconuts

Legend
interference said:
jrry32 said:
bluecoconuts said:

I must admit I haven't not followed this story at all. But I'm curious, what about the story changed? And do we know for sure that the guy X'd himself, or is that just a story?

A lot of people who don't understand the 'jargon' of the police misunderstood information, as well as a lot of people have been creating rumors just because. I've heard everything from he dug a tunnel from the cabin (which is built on rock, he would have needed dynamite) and escaped to Mexico during the firefight, to it was a woman the entire time. It's pretty laughable.

In terms of the fire, the San Bernardino police said that they didn't start the fire. However on the scanners people heard the order for 'burners', and not knowing what burners are assume that they just burned him alive. Then people are saying that he tried to come out of the house but they pushed him back in to burn him alive, which is just silly because that information wouldn't be put out anyway.

From a buddy of mine who was there (SWAT), he said that San Bernardino had total control, refused to give it up (to LAPD or even Federal agencies on scene). He said that they fired tear gas into the building to flush him out. They then used an armored car to knock down the cabin room by room, to get him to surrender, but he retreated to one last room. They weren't going to knock that down, so they fired more tear gas into there, but it didn't work. They then fired the burners (incendiary grenades that are designed to produce a lot of heat) and told him to surrender through a loud speaker. He then opened up the door but came out firing, before retreating back into the room from the police returning fire. He said a few seconds later they heard a single shot from the room, and that was it. The flames built up shortly after and engulfed the cabin.

They weren't going to go into the room because he had already shot and killed 2 officers, 2 other innocent people, and shot and wounded another 3 officers. The chance of it being a trick was too great. Which is also why the fire department wasn't called in to put the fire out, they can't do that when a scene isn't secure. Once the fire was out they found a burned male body and a partially burned ID card that belonged to Dorner. They're waiting for DNA/Dental records to confirm it, but they know it's him. My friend said (in response to the 'it was a woman in the house' rumor) that "If it was a woman than she looked a lot like a 6 foot 270 pound bald black man who had targeted police officers."

Which is how this ends. A lot of people heard "LAPD corruption" and automatically took Dorner's side. Which LAPD has had problems in the past, as all departments do. The Rodney King trials was extremely high profile obviously so it doesn't help. However the department, and Chief Beck specifically (who became Chief after Dorner was fired) have made huge steps in making the department cleaner, and more efficient. And he's done a good job, I know that personally. Dorner, and you can see from his previous history, was paranoid (according to his ex girlfriend), violent, egotistical and well a bit crazy. He overestimated himself, embellished his abilities a bit, couldn't handle rejection, and saw himself a victim often times. And to an extent it's not crazy to think that he didn't get a fair shake, I can see it. However given how he reported it (after he was told by his training officer that she was going to recommend him being taken off patrol duty for a while) and that he had a history going back to the Academy, and that he honestly wasn't a very good cop, it was stacked against him. Because there was no evidence it became his word vs her word. She had a good record, was (is) a good cop, and he didn't. No matter the case though, his actions were disgusting and inexcusable.

People trying to blame LAPD are foolish though, especially for his death because they didn't have anything to do with that. It's just an anti-cop thing, trust me though LAPD didn't do anything fishy, they handle things by the book. The system may have fucked Dorner, but he wasn't a good cop and it's very obvious given his response to the situation that he was not in good mind to be a good police officer. The department has been working very hard on being a much cleaner department, and I think (from my experience) that they're doing a very good job.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Cool, Col. Thanks for the information.

I let my son read that because he's doing some research on it for his weekly current events project.
It will officially be the first time the words bluecoconuts and RamsONDEMAND are in a footnote.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
bluecoconuts said:
interference said:
jrry32 said:
bluecoconuts said:

A lot of people who don't understand the 'jargon' of the police misunderstood information, as well as a lot of people have been creating rumors just because. I've heard everything from he dug a tunnel from the cabin (which is built on rock, he would have needed dynamite) and escaped to Mexico during the firefight, to it was a woman the entire time. It's pretty laughable.

In terms of the fire, the San Bernardino police said that they didn't start the fire. However on the scanners people heard the order for 'burners', and not knowing what burners are assume that they just burned him alive. Then people are saying that he tried to come out of the house but they pushed him back in to burn him alive, which is just silly because that information wouldn't be put out anyway.

From a buddy of mine who was there (SWAT), he said that San Bernardino had total control, refused to give it up (to LAPD or even Federal agencies on scene). He said that they fired tear gas into the building to flush him out. They then used an armored car to knock down the cabin room by room, to get him to surrender, but he retreated to one last room. They weren't going to knock that down, so they fired more tear gas into there, but it didn't work. They then fired the burners (incendiary grenades that are designed to produce a lot of heat) and told him to surrender through a loud speaker. He then opened up the door but came out firing, before retreating back into the room from the police returning fire. He said a few seconds later they heard a single shot from the room, and that was it. The flames built up shortly after and engulfed the cabin.

They weren't going to go into the room because he had already shot and killed 2 officers, 2 other innocent people, and shot and wounded another 3 officers. The chance of it being a trick was too great. Which is also why the fire department wasn't called in to put the fire out, they can't do that when a scene isn't secure. Once the fire was out they found a burned male body and a partially burned ID card that belonged to Dorner. They're waiting for DNA/Dental records to confirm it, but they know it's him. My friend said (in response to the 'it was a woman in the house' rumor) that "If it was a woman than she looked a lot like a 6 foot 270 pound bald black man who had targeted police officers."

Which is how this ends. A lot of people heard "LAPD corruption" and automatically took Dorner's side. Which LAPD has had problems in the past, as all departments do. The Rodney King trials was extremely high profile obviously so it doesn't help. However the department, and Chief Beck specifically (who became Chief after Dorner was fired) have made huge steps in making the department cleaner, and more efficient. And he's done a good job, I know that personally. Dorner, and you can see from his previous history, was paranoid (according to his ex girlfriend), violent, egotistical and well a bit crazy. He overestimated himself, embellished his abilities a bit, couldn't handle rejection, and saw himself a victim often times. And to an extent it's not crazy to think that he didn't get a fair shake, I can see it. However given how he reported it (after he was told by his training officer that she was going to recommend him being taken off patrol duty for a while) and that he had a history going back to the Academy, and that he honestly wasn't a very good cop, it was stacked against him. Because there was no evidence it became his word vs her word. She had a good record, was (is) a good cop, and he didn't. No matter the case though, his actions were disgusting and inexcusable.

People trying to blame LAPD are foolish though, especially for his death because they didn't have anything to do with that. It's just an anti-cop thing, trust me though LAPD didn't do anything fishy, they handle things by the book. The system may have freak Dorner, but he wasn't a good cop and it's very obvious given his response to the situation that he was not in good mind to be a good police officer. The department has been working very hard on being a much cleaner department, and I think (from my experience) that they're doing a very good job.

Has nothing to do with understanding the jargon. It was said that they did not set fire to the cabin but did set a fire near the cabin. And then suddenly, it's we never set any fire. Then it's...oh we used incendiary grenades...but he set the fire.

It's rubbish.

As for the pushing him back in stuff, that was a quote on the news for a good while when they were showing the story.

I'm not anti-cop at all. I usually fall on the cops' side but their story changed too many times for me to believe it and the fact that the building caught on fire speaks volumes. I sincerely doubt he decided to burn himself alive.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
bluecoconuts said:
He didn't burn himself alive, he shot himself in the head.

So he started the fire right before he killed himself? Or was it after as a result of him shooting himself?