Case Keenum makes key mistakes, prompts more Jared Goff questions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES -- Resume the clamoring for Jared Goff in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

Case Keenum didn't necessarily play poorly -- OK, he didn't playdreadfully -- but the Los Angeles Rams quarterback made a costly mistake late and missed on what could've been a big play early in a 30-19loss to the Buffalo Bills on Sunday. That's usually enough to prompt incessant questions about when Goff, the No. 1 overall pick, will be given a shot as the starting quarterback.

Keenum completed 21 of 31 passes, but two of his incompletions loomed large. One came early in the second quarter when facing third-and-1 from the Rams' 30-yard line. Brian Quick had two steps on his defender down the field, but Keenum badly overthrew him on a deep ball. Had he hit him in stride, it could've gone for Quick's fourth touchdown in three games.

"It hurt," Keenum said. "It hurt a lot. But you've got to move on. Obviously, those are plays that you learn from. Seeing him make those plays, I've got to give him a chance. It was a tough one."

Pharoh Cooper, who was making his debut after missing the first four games with a shoulder injury, to the right side about 10 yards out. But Keenum's throw didn't have nearly enough zip. Bills corner Nickell Robey-Coleman, a USC alum, jumped the route, intercepted the pass and went untouched for what became the winning score.

"I can't do that," Keenum said. "I can't do that, especially in this league. Across the board, there's guys who will make that play. I can't put my team in that situation, obviously. The game came down to one or two plays, and that was one play that I want back."

Keenum threw another interception -- also to Robey-Coleman -- in the final minutes, but that was a desperation heave while backed up in his own territory and facing fourth-and-18. The game had practically been decided by then.

It was decided by a shorthanded defense that allowed 193 yards on the ground, and it was decided by an offense that marched into enemy territory on seven of its first nine possessions but managed only one touchdown, settled for four field goals and suffered through Todd Gurley's first fumble. Gurley gained 108 yards from scrimmage, Tavon Austin made a season-high seven catches, and Kenny Britt gained 75 yards through the air, but the Rams' offense did not do enough on a day when it needed to carry the load.

Those things usually fall on Keenum, who has a shorter leash -- or perceived leash, at least -- than anybody in the NFL.

"We just got to punch it in," said Keenum, who entered with the NFL's second-worst Total QBR. "We hurt ourselves in the red zone again."

[www.espn.com]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's usually enough to prompt incessant questions about when Goff, the No. 1 overall pick, will be given a shot as the starting quarterback.
If a flea farts in Western Wyoming at 4:00 in the morning, it'll prompt incessant questions about when Goff will start.
He didn't need to have a poor game. Those questions have been asked since August.
Incessantly.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He didn't need to have a poor game. Those questions have been asked since August.
Incessantly.

True, however, the very reason Keenum is the starter is to manage the game and not to lose it, on Sunday, he lost the game with his mistake.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
True, however, the very reason Keenum is the starter is to manage the game and not to lose it, on Sunday, he lost the game with his mistake.
I don't see it that way, but it's cool. Quite a few things happened during that game that swung the momentum the other way. Todd fumbling and that leading to six points, case throwing a pick-6, that weird series of events late in the fourth quarter, the defense letting McCoy run wild....

Team loss, IMO.

…..

Legend
The next question after asking if Keenum needs to be replaced by Goff is that is Goff ready to step from the scout team to the limelight.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Case played probably his best game of the season, but made the kind of mistakes you just cannot make when the offense can't score enough to overcome it. Plenty of blame to go around from that game. It has to be one of the more frustrating games in recent memory, if only because I actually expect this team to win these types of games now. That in itself makes me feel like we are heading in the right direction, but yeah.....I think we are close to seeing Goff.

I have been a Keenum supporter all along, and I don't think he gets the credit he deserves, but I really hope Goff is getting better. If not, the Rams (specifically Snisher) have muuuuuch bigger problems than one loss against an AFC team.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Case is #29 in TD passes, 28th in QBR, 23rd in INT%, 28th in comp % and the Rams are 31st in team scoring.
He's a great guy, hard worker and all that, but he just isn't starter worthy. And I'm with @jrry32 I think the offensive scheme passing wise has looked good. Its Keenum inability with arm strength that holds him back, and the opposition knows it.
Next 6 games ranking in points allowed and PPG:
DET #20- 25ppg
NYG #15- 21ppg
CAR #22- 27ppg
NYJ #23- 27ppg
MIA #18- 24ppg
NO #32-33ppg
Rams "should" be able to score some points here, why not drop the kid in when he has a chance

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Case is #29 in TD passes, 28th in QBR, 23rd in INT%, 28th in comp % and the Rams are 31st in team scoring.
He's a great guy, hard worker and all that, but he just isn't starter worthy. And I'm with @jrry32 I think the offensive scheme passing wise has looked good. Its Keenum inability with arm strength that holds him back, and the opposition knows it.
Next 6 games ranking in points allowed and PPG:
DET #20- 25ppg
NYG #15- 21ppg
CAR #22- 27ppg
NYJ #23- 27ppg
MIA #18- 24ppg
NO #32-33ppg
Rams "should" be able to score some points here, why not drop the kid in when he has a chance
I think it happens after the bye week.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it happens after the bye week.
Not sure how that happens though.
Detroit is a tough game, but they can be scored on. Giants same. If Keenum squeaks out 2 wins and we are 5-2, no way Fish makes change. If anything, starting the London game could be the best. Giants cant get a pass rush and it would be low pressure crowd wise. But If they lose the Detroit game at 3-3 and the team in a tailspin, pressue would be high.
Now is the time, keep Keenum on alert and ready to step in if need be

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
We can all argue about this until we are blue in the face. Keenum is what he is. I love his grit and he gives it his all.
But if you like him or not, statistically he is one of the worst QB's in the league. You can't argue that. Until someone else is the starter we won't really know if our offense will be better. But from the basic numbers it can't get much worse.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We can all make all the proclamations we want. We can post all the stats we want. We can continue to bemoan the delay of Goff's debut all we want. We can project and predict how much better everything will be once he's put in all we want. But what we can't do is make it happen. So how about this? How about we go ahead and pull for Keenum to do the very best he can and for the team to rally around him until such a time that he's not the QB anymore. As everyone has already pointed out, they didn't go up and draft Goff simply to have him be our future #2. Fisher and Snead have proclaimed that he's the future. They told us that, and they told him that. Keenum even knows that. It's known by everyone. Everywhere.

In the meantime, how about we relax with the confirmation bias. There's no need to keep saying Keenum is a bad QB. There's no need to tear apart every throw the guy makes in order to make the point that Goff would do it better. And there's no need to rip into his arm, his heart, his courage, his mechanics, his field vision, his pocket presence, etc., etc., etc. Everyone here knows that he's a backup QB in this league. Neither Fisher nor Snead said that Keenum is a top 10 QB or even a starting caliber QB. They only said they can win games with him. And guess what? They have. Wasn't pretty, wasn't flashy, wasn't even particularly good. Remember - he's a placeholder. He's there to keep the wheels turning until Goff meets the expectations the staff has for him to become the starter. Can't hurry that along either. Can't insult Fisher into doing it. Can't wish it into existence, and can't speak it into existence. I'm sorry if that takes away all your options, but wouldn't the world (and this board) be a better place if we just accepted the situation and rallied behind the guy who everyone seems to think is a quality, gritty, try-hard? As opposed to making him out to be the anti-Christ of the football world? Find some joy in the little things. Root for the underdog. Try to be cool. Because the alternative isn't working.

Or not. It's just a suggestion. You're all grown men and can do whatever you want, of course.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
That ^^^^ was a thing of beauty. I am just as curious to see what Goff has as anyone, but I can wait until the coaches....ya know...the ones paid to make these decisions, MAKE that decision.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
That ^^^^ was a thing of beauty. I am just as curious to see what Goff has as anyone, but I can wait until the coaches....ya know...the ones paid to make these decisions, MAKE that decision.
Yes, because we should feel sooooo confident in Fishers ability to make the correct decision. :jerkoff: Just because he gets paid to be the head coach does not mean what he thinks is best, is what is truly best for the team. He's just a stubborn mfer, that is stuck in his old ways imo. If we took Wentz, Goff would be the starter in Philly and Wentz would be in the same position Goff is now. Just my 2 cents.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yes, because we should feel sooooo confident in Fishers ability to make the correct decision. :jerkoff: Just because he gets paid to be the head coach does not mean what he thinks is best, is what is truly best for the team.
He didn't say you should be confident in him making the right decision.
All he said was, he's the only one who can make that decision.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
He didn't say you should be confident in him making the right decision.
All he said was, he's the only one who can make that decision.
Why do you think so many fans are questioning the decision? Fisher has proven for 5 years he doesn't know what the hell he is doing on the offensive side of the ball. Fisher always babying the rookies, I feel confident in saying our record wouldnt be too different with Goff at the helm, instead of Keenum but I suppose we'll never know. We'd be a million times better off if Fish would just stick to the defensive side of the ball and let an offensive guru handle the O and not let Fish have any say. But we all know Fisher getting shit canned is a more likely option then that happening.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
We can all make all the proclamations we want. We can post all the stats we want. We can continue to bemoan the delay of Goff's debut all we want. We can project and predict how much better everything will be once he's put in all we want. But what we can't do is make it happen. So how about this? How about we go ahead and pull for Keenum to do the very best he can and for the team to rally around him until such a time that he's not the QB anymore. As everyone has already pointed out, they didn't go up and draft Goff simply to have him be our future #2. Fisher and Snead have proclaimed that he's the future. They told us that, and they told him that. Keenum even knows that. It's known by everyone. Everywhere.

In the meantime, how about we relax with the confirmation bias. There's no need to keep saying Keenum is a bad QB. There's no need to tear apart every throw the guy makes in order to make the point that Goff would do it better. And there's no need to rip into his arm, his heart, his courage, his mechanics, his field vision, his pocket presence, etc., etc., etc. Everyone here knows that he's a backup QB in this league. Neither Fisher nor Snead said that Keenum is a top 10 QB or even a starting caliber QB. They only said they can win games with him. And guess what? They have. Wasn't pretty, wasn't flashy, wasn't even particularly good. Remember - he's a placeholder. He's there to keep the wheels turning until Goff meets the expectations the staff has for him to become the starter. Can't hurry that along either. Can't insult Fisher into doing it. Can't wish it into existence, and can't speak it into existence. I'm sorry if that takes away all your options, but wouldn't the world (and this board) be a better place if we just accepted the situation and rallied behind the guy who everyone seems to think is a quality, gritty, try-hard? As opposed to making him out to be the anti-Christ of the football world? Find some joy in the little things. Root for the underdog. Try to be cool. Because the alternative isn't working.

Or not. It's just a suggestion. You're all grown men and can do whatever you want, of course.

Just so I don't look like I'm bitching, my post was simply stating what we already know. From a stats standpoint it is what it is. I will root for Keenum as long as he's the starter. I want GOf

I agree with you X. And to be clear my post wasn't about bashing the guy. I'll root for our team no matter who is at QB and hope for the best. I'm probably as tired as you and most about debating it. Fact is until Fisher makes the change it's pointless. None of us know until it actually happens.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

Extremely Well Said ... BRAVO! @-X-

___________________+_____________"CAN WE FRAME THIS POST" (y)

aa6518ba0550455299bc57583a916d1d.png

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Why do you think so many fans are questioning the decision? Fisher has proven for 5 years he doesn't know what the hell he is doing on the offensive side of the ball. Fisher always babying the rookies, I feel confident in saying our record wouldnt be too different with Goff at the helm, instead of Keenum but I suppose we'll never know. We'd be a million times better off if Fish would just stick to the defensive side of the ball and let an offensive guru handle the O and not let Fish have any say. But we all know Fisher getting crap canned is a more likely option then that happening.
Fisher's gonna Fish, man.
It was 72 degrees today, and I found $20 on the ground. Bought brisket for lunch, and I got extra burnt ends.
Then when I got home, my dog was SUPER excited to see me. Though, to be fair, I probably still had that brisket musk on me.
So, life's pretty okay without me worrying about what Fisher's gonna do at his job. He'll do his thing, and I'll do mine.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I agree with you X. And to be clear my post wasn't about bashing the guy. I'll root for our team no matter who is at QB and hope for the best. I'm probably as tired as you and most about debating it. Fact is until Fisher makes the change it's pointless. None of us know until it actually happens.
Wasn't singling you out, m'man.
I just saw an empty soap box and decided to try it out.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Fisher's gonna Fish, man.
It was 72 degrees today, and I found $20 on the ground. Bought brisket for lunch, and I got extra burnt ends.
Then when I got home, my dog was SUPER excited to see me. Though, to be fair, I probably still had that brisket musk on me.
So, life's pretty okay without me worrying about what Fisher's gonna do at his job. He'll do his thing, and I'll do mine.
Brisket is the bomb I'll give you that so congrats on that. The only thing I'm worried about is that we won't have a different HC next year, 7-9 is getting old as shit. Especially when we have the talent to be a contender if we didn't have a coach holding our offense back, it's worse then having no talent imo.