Carson Wentz vs. Jared Goff: Who is the better pick in the 2016 NFL Draft?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
NFL Media's Mike Mayock discusses whether North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz or University of California quarterback Jared Goff is the better pick in the 2016 NFL Draft.
http://www.therams.com/videos/video...FL_Draft/97988ca6-d87e-44ba-9aed-534f252d3d38

Interesting take by Mike Mayock on the top QB's in this draft... the closer we get to the draft the less liekly I think we go up and get one of these two.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
In size, arm strength & name:
Carson%20Wentz%202014%20SDSU%20Looks%20Downfield.jpg

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
The thing that bothers me most about this years top QB prospects is that most experts say that none are better than last years crop. Trading up to get less than last years crop? Makes me wonder what we have in Mannion.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It's more than just QB.

Wentz can run the system we're going to install.

Goff is a West Coast QB who doesn't have the arm to run the system we're going to install. Very good decision maker and tons of great things going for him. He'll be very good in a West Coast offense. But we're not going to run a WCO.

That point keeps getting lost in the discussion of the top 3

Wentz fits us.

Goff doesn't fit us.

Lynch may fit us, but won't play this year. Needs a year of development.

So, when it comes to "which QB to draft" based on "this guy needs to help us win this year"...

There's only the one guy. Wentz. If Cleveland takes him, I don't do anything. NONE of the guys in this QB class strike me as better than Mannion or worth the investment. I stick with Keenum, develop Mannion and TRY to find a vet to bring in...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing that bothers me most about this years top QB prospects is that most experts say that none are better than last years crop. Trading up to get less than last years crop? Makes me wonder what we have in Mannion.

From my perspective just disregard that stuff tbh. The media do that BS every year, and it was the same thing last year when they were knocking Mariota on how he didn't read defenses, how he might need a couple years to adjust, etc. After seeing the player in the NFL they conveniently forget all the concerns and negatives that applied to that prospect because it's a hindsight thing. Winston was more NFL ready than Mariota by most accounts but had all manner of off field concerns, so Mariota wasn't alone on being knocked and nitpicked.

Wentz would be in the mix in almost any draft as a top 5 guy because dudes of his size, athleticism, arm talent, and squeaky clean persona don't grow on trees. Lynch is very similar developmentally with Bortles who went 3 overall the year he came out and was a great investment by the Jaguars. Goff would also be a top 10 QB in almost any draft IMO, these guys are not being inflated by any means.

QBs get nuked and nitpicked to the Nth degree every year to the point of idiocy. None of these guys are super elite prospects like Elway, but guys like that only come along once a decade. Last guy with a truly rare grade was Luck IMO, but does that mean you don't roll the dice on the position? You gotta roll the dice brother, and this draft has some very good options to roll it on, it is the deepest QB class I've seen in a long while.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Give me Goff all day. I like Wentz and he probably has more upside. But none if his college performances hold a candle to what Goff did in the bowl game. Give me his decision-making and pinpoint accuracy over the raw talent of Wentz.

Last edited:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Wentz is more of a Ram
North Dakota vs Berkeley

Goff idolizes Montana and that is a non-starter for me

Wentz looks heroic and is blue color guy

Gimme WENTZ

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Give me Goff all day. I like Wentz and he probably has more upside. But none if his college performances hold a candle to what Goff did in the bowl game. Give me his decision-making and pinpoint accuracy over the raw talent of Wentz.
Goff also ran as simplistic of a spread offense as there is. Wentz ran an offense much closer to the rams offense. Goffs numbers are inflated by his offense just look at any college qb in an air raid offense. Goffs arm is too weak for my liking but he does have other great intangibles just not better than Wentz. If Wentz was in division 1 there wouldnt even be a debate.

Ants

Starter
It's more than just QB.

Goff is a West Coast QB who doesn't have the arm to run the system we're going to install. Very good decision maker and tons of great things going for him. He'll be very good in a West Coast offense. But we're not going to run a WCO.

Wentz fits us.

Goff doesn't fit us.

So, when it comes to "which QB to draft" based on "this guy needs to help us win this year"...

There's only the one guy. Wentz. If Cleveland takes him, I don't do anything. NONE of the guys in this QB class strike me as better than Mannion or worth the investment. I stick with Keenum, develop Mannion and TRY to find a vet to bring in...

That's also the way I see it. Good post. :cool:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Hue Jackson said at the Combine that he prefers QBs with big mitts.

So here's hoping Jared Goff's hands are bigger than they are rumored to be, because they are rumored to be rather small. Which would explain that wrist flip in his throwing motion...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like Goff and Wentz.

I hear the critique of Goff, but my gut really likes him.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Like both guys. Id love to br able to draft Lynch and let him "red shirt" for a year but we don't have that luxury. If we draft a guy in the first they're going to play. They'll be thrown into the fire early and will suffer some knocks and setbacks so they better have good mental toughness. Think both Goff and Wentz seem to have that toughness in slightly different ways.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's more than just QB.

Wentz fits us.

Goff doesn't fit us.

I'm not sure where this impression has come from. Didn't the Rams/Groh say that they wanted to install the Manning system here? Goff models his game after Manning and has far more arm than Manning did in Denver. Goff's arm isn't weak and he has an excellent deep ball. The guy can run any system.

Philip Rivers was insanely prolific in Norv's extremely vertically-oriented Air Coryell offense and his arm definitely isn't stronger than Goff's. Rivers was so successful because his accuracy and touch on deep balls were outstanding.(and his high level football IQ)

Goff has the skills and tools to run any system. He fits this team extremely well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff also ran as simplistic of a spread offense as there is. Wentz ran an offense much closer to the rams offense. Goffs numbers are inflated by his offense just look at any college qb in an air raid offense. Goffs arm is too weak for my liking but he does have other great intangibles just not better than Wentz. If Wentz was in division 1 there wouldnt even be a debate.

There would definitely be a debate if Wentz had the same skill-set and flaws he has now. Goff is more polished and consistent. Wentz is more physically talented. Both guys have all the tools. Wentz takes a bit more projection but there's nothing I've seen/know that lead me to believe he's not going to keep improving. However, Goff is more pro ready and I think he has a much higher ceiling than he's given credit for.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
There would definitely be a debate if Wentz had the same skill-set and flaws he has now. Goff is more polished and consistent. Wentz is more physically talented. Both guys have all the tools. Wentz takes a bit more projection but there's nothing I've seen/know that lead me to believe he's not going to keep improving. However, Goff is more pro ready and I think he has a much higher ceiling than he's given credit for.
Im of the opposite opinion that Goff has a lower ceiling than most give him credit for. I think he was propped up by that offense. I see him as Bridgewater 2.0. I dont think Wentz is any more of a project than Goff but he has a much higher ceiling.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Im of the opposite opinion that Goff has a lower ceiling than most give him credit for. I think he was propped up by that offense. I see him as Bridgewater 2.0. I dont think Wentz is any more of a project than Goff but he has a much higher ceiling.

Propped up in what way? The dude was behind a bad OL and didn't have any noteworthy weapons. The system certainly didn't make him as great as he was. He transcended the system. Was doing a lot of things in that offense that aren't often done. The verbiage and playbooks will be a lot more complex at the NFL level beyond that, he did it all. Very little difference between him and a pro style offense except his team ran the ball less and as I said, the verbiage and playbook were much more simplistic.

He's a better thrower than Teddy with a stronger arm. But the book isn't written on Bridgewater and I'd happily take Bridgewater on this team.

Wentz is much more of a project than Goff. His lower body mechanics need a significant amount of work, he doesn't have the same pocket movement skills, and he's less consistent with his timing on throws.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
From my perspective just disregard that stuff tbh. The media do that BS every year, and it was the same thing last year when they were knocking Mariota on how he didn't read defenses, how he might need a couple years to adjust, etc. After seeing the player in the NFL they conveniently forget all the concerns and negatives that applied to that prospect because it's a hindsight thing. Winston was more NFL ready than Mariota by most accounts but had all manner of off field concerns, so Mariota wasn't alone on being knocked and nitpicked.

Wentz would be in the mix in almost any draft as a top 5 guy because dudes of his size, athleticism, arm talent, and squeaky clean persona don't grow on trees. Lynch is very similar developmentally with Bortles who went 3 overall the year he came out and was a great investment by the Jaguars. Goff would also be a top 10 QB in almost any draft IMO, these guys are not being inflated by any means.

QBs get nuked and nitpicked to the Nth degree every year to the point of idiocy. None of these guys are super elite prospects like Elway, but guys like that only come along once a decade. Last guy with a truly rare grade was Luck IMO, but does that mean you don't roll the dice on the position? You gotta roll the dice brother, and this draft has some very good options to roll it on, it is the deepest QB class I've seen in a long while.
It's the time of year to trust what you personally know and see!!