Carson Wentz hires QB coach Adam Dedeaux to fix mechanics

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I find it absolutely incredibly dumb that a QB can't work with the QB coach hired by HIS team to coach HIM any time he wants.

That part of the CBA was designed to increase player safety presumably but a QB working on throwing mechanics isn't going to increase his risk of concussions.

The whole situation is farcical.

bluecoconuts

Legend
It would be nice if Goff called up his draft buddy Wentz and told him he's going to be joining up with him at some point. You can never work on your craft enough as a young NFL starting quarterback.

Goff has a playbook to learn, his mechanics are fine, footwork, throwing motion, etc, it's all ideal. He can work on perfecting those later on, right now it's about learning the playbook and concepts of McVay's offense.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Goff has a playbook to learn, his mechanics are fine, footwork, throwing motion, etc, it's all ideal. He can work on perfecting those later on, right now it's about learning the playbook and concepts of McVay's offense.
Okay sorry for asking these noob questions. Is Goff allowed to learn the playbook right now? Is that not part of the "no contact with coaches"?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Okay sorry for asking these noob questions. Is Goff allowed to learn the playbook right now? Is that not part of the "no contact with coaches"?

Yes and no. McVay hasn't given Goff a playbook yet I'm sure, but Goff has a lot of film on Washington (he said it himself, it seemed like every week he was watching film on Washington's offense) and he is (or he better be) watching and breaking down that film similar to what he and McVay did during the interview process. He'll get the playbook in April or May I believe, maybe sooner if he's allowed to, I'm not sure how the rules break down either.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

I can agree with this thinking in general but I will speculate that we can't just assume his mechanics are ideal/fine.

My eyes told me JG's footwork-planting his back foot, drop back steps 3,5,7 combined with ball release point etc.. could use some polishing up with mechanics to fix some of his unnecessary high (off the mark) throws. This might even help with a little zip on some of his throws?

It does makes sense from those that believe Jared doesn't need too many cooks in the kitchen. Now that he has a new QB friendly HC with a veteran NFL QB coach, it might be best to NOT let someone get a hold of him in the off-season before he gets the needed professional quarterback coaching from Olson & McVay.

McVay is an absolute football junkie and likely will be fine tuning/editing and drafting up his new Rams Offensive playbook daily.

As you already know bluecoconuts, (unless it's forbidden by the NFL) McVay probably has given a basic sample of his playbook to Jared so he can pull it up on his Microsoft Surface Pro 4 device and get the gist of the verbiage, formation sets and visual concepts.

tumblr_inline_o1zv6jzjSk1txc0gs_540.jpg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Why would Wentz need to do that? According to the media after the first couple of games he played he was the best pick in the draft, a "franchise QB" they all raved about. That all changed when teams got game film of him.

Lets compare Wentz and Goff after five games this coming season.. I'm betting they change their tune.

I'm pretty certain Wentz isn't going to amount to much.

Because the majority of people are stupid. Media ignores his regression post week 3 to 15. I've watched every single Eagles game, he regressed badly. I refuse to believe that one Lane Johnson cost his team that much. They have a run game, and Wentz has plenty of time to throw the ball. He just makes the stupidest decisions I've ever seen. He has never scored 3 touchdowns in a single game. Yet everyone is saying he passes the eye test.....

He played against a low level of competition in college and it showed up after a handful of games.

That said, I see no need to tear down Wentz for trying to improve himself on his own time on his own dime. Seems that's what he should be doing.

Shut it Mac. :D

IMO Wentz is going to be an oustanding QB in this league. Both are quality prospects, we'll see who works his butt off to be great and all I care about is Goff is one of them.

I disagree Merlin I think he is going to be average at best.

That part of the CBA was designed to increase player safety presumably but a QB working on throwing mechanics isn't going to increase his risk of concussions.

Thanks union!!!

My eyes told me JG's footwork-planting his back foot, drop back steps 3,5,7 combined with ball release point etc.. could use some polishing up with mechanics to fix some of his unnecessary high (off the mark) throws. This might even help with a little zip on some of his throws?

He could clean up a bit, he launched some passes from the back foot. He'll be fine but he needs a little buffing up.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I can agree with this thinking in general but I will speculate that we can't just assume his mechanics are ideal/fine.

It does makes sense from those that believe Jared doesn't need too many cooks in the kitchen. Now that he has a new QB friendly HC with a veteran NFL QB coach, it might be best to NOT let someone get a hold of him in the off-season before he gets the needed professional quarterback coaching from Olson & McVay.

McVay is an absolute football junkie and likely will be fine tuning/editing and drafting up his new Rams Offensive playbook daily.

As you already know bluecoconuts, (unless it's forbidden by the NFL) McVay probably has given a basic sample of his playbook to Jared so he can pull it up on his Microsoft Surface Pro 4 device and get the gist of the verbiage, formation sets and visual concepts.

tumblr_inline_o1zv6jzjSk1txc0gs_540.jpg

I'm not saying not to work on improving, I'm just saying I'm fine with him focusing on learning the playroom first. If he's not doing that, then I hope he's working on improving his mechanics.