Carson Wentz hires QB coach Adam Dedeaux to fix mechanics

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000779158/article/carson-wentz-hires-qb-coach-to-fix-mechanics
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000779158/article/carson-wentz-hires-qb-coach-to-fix-mechanics
Carson Wentz has hired a quarterbacks coach to improve his lapsed mechanics.

The Philadelphia Eagles' second-year signal-caller will work with 3DQB's Adam Dedeaux this offseason, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Wednesday.

This is a positive -- and fully expected -- sign for Wentz's future. After roaring out to a 3-0 start with a 5:0 TD-to-INT ratio and 103.8 passer rating in September, the draft's No. 2 overall pick was one of the league's least effective passers over the final three months of the season.

With his offensive line in flux and his running game vanishing for stretches, Wentz fell into bad habits, flashing a long-armed looping windup in which the ball often dropped to his waist level.

"Strictly mechanics," coach Doug Pederson said of Wentz's struggles in early December. "... Young quarterback, missed quite a bit of time in the preseason, but now we have to keep cleaning this thing up."

It's important that Wentz is diligent about his throwing motion, learning from Blake Bortles' precipitous 2016 decline.

Dedeaux, the grandson of legendary USC baseball coach Rod Dedeaux, worked with and for sports biomechanics guru Tom House for 10 years. Those two have trained many veteran quarterbacks, including Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Andy Dalton and Tim Tebow.

Dedeaux and House point to Bortles, though, as the quarterback who improved the most -- from a clueless 2014 rookie to the 2015 breakout quarterback who shattered several franchise records.

It's no coincidence that Bortles regressed in 2016 after neglecting his mechanics in the offseason.

Dedeaux and House often fly into NFL cities to provide tune-ups during the season. House believes quarterbacks typically lose 1 percent of their mechanical efficiency in every game, per The MMQB's Albert Breer. When they fall into bad habits -- as Bortles and Wentz did last season -- that number rises.

Fixing flawed mechanics is an incremental process heavy on deliberate repetition. That's why the legwork must be accomplished during the long offseason, with occasional upkeep and tinkering to remain fundamentally sound once the season starts.

Wentz has all of the physical tools and mental makeup to succeed in the NFL. Once he irons out his mechanics, he'll begin to emerge as a franchise-caliber quarterback.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Why would Wentz need to do that? According to the media after the first couple of games he played he was the best pick in the draft, a "franchise QB" they all raved about. That all changed when teams got game film of him.

Lets compare Wentz and Goff after five games this coming season.. I'm betting they change their tune.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
The Philadelphia Eagles' second-year signal-caller will work with 3DQB's Adam Dedeaux this offseason, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Wednesday.

Dedeaux, the grandson of legendary USC baseball coach Rod Dedeaux, worked with and for sports biomechanics guru Tom House for 10 years. Those two have trained many veteran quarterbacks, including Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Andy Dalton and Tim Tebow.

Dedeaux and House point to Bortles, though, as the quarterback who improved the most -- from a clueless 2014 rookie to the 2015 breakout quarterback who shattered several franchise records. It's no coincidence that Bortles regressed in 2016 after neglecting his mechanics in the offseason.

It would be nice if Goff called up his draft buddy Wentz and told him he's going to be joining up with him at some point. You can never work on your craft enough as a young NFL starting quarterback.

A good career choice by Carson Wentz.

69f0f1aee635ef039dc59c928c124b29_crop_exact.jpeg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good decision by Wentz. He needed it. Like I noted before the draft, he had a lot of mechanical issues in the lower half that needed to be ironed out.

Scirca

Rookie
Why would Wentz need to do that? According to the media after the first couple of games he played he was the best pick in the draft, a "franchise QB" they all raved about. That all changed when teams got game film of him.

Lets compare Wentz and Goff after five games this coming season.. I'm betting they change their tune.

Because the majority of people are stupid. Media ignores his regression post week 3 to 15. I've watched every single Eagles game, he regressed badly. I refuse to believe that one Lane Johnson cost his team that much. They have a run game, and Wentz has plenty of time to throw the ball. He just makes the stupidest decisions I've ever seen. He has never scored 3 touchdowns in a single game. Yet everyone is saying he passes the eye test.....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because the majority of people are stupid. Media ignores his regression post week 3 to 15. I've watched every single Eagles game, he regressed badly. I refuse to believe that one Lane Johnson cost his team that much. They have a run game, and Wentz has plenty of time to throw the ball. He just makes the stupidest decisions I've ever seen. He has never scored 3 touchdowns in a single game. Yet everyone is saying he passes the eye test.....

One Lane Johnson can make a world of difference. How much of a difference did losing Trumaine Johnson make to our defense this year? We couldn't cover opposing WRs when he was out.

Scirca

Rookie
One Lane Johnson can make a world of difference. How much of a difference did losing Trumaine Johnson make to our defense this year? We couldn't cover opposing WRs when he was out.

When you have a pro-bowl center in Jason Kelce and a hall of fame left tackle in Jason Peters, you don't get to complain about the offensive line.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

By your own standard, Goff is doomed. He hasn't won a single game, yet.

And most here say HE passes the "eye test", right?

I totally get that you're a Goff homer and mostly share in that enthusiasm, although clearly not to the same degree.

That said, I see no need to tear down Wentz for trying to improve himself on his own time on his own dime. Seems that's what he should be doing.

Good for him. He saw he needed to work on his craft and the CBA wouldn't let him stick around and work with coaches so he found private coaching.

What else should he do?

Seriously, Scirca? Because "people on the internet" perferred him over Goff and that upsets you, what else should Wentz have done as a professional athlete who is responsible to his team and his teammates?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get the criticism.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When you have a pro-bowl center in Jason Kelce and a hall of fame left tackle in Jason Peters, you don't get to complain about the offensive line.

Jason Kelce's play has fallen off quite a bit of late. As has Jason Peters's play. But nobody is telling you that their OL as a whole sucks. The point is that losing arguably the best player on that unit and replacing him with a backup is going to cause problems. Don't undersell it. He's arguably the best RT in the NFL.

If we lost Donald, our defense would take a hit.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wentz also has big windup.

It's connected to his issues with the lower body mechanics. Bortles discussed this issue. QBs are taught to sync up their upper and lower body mechanics.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So what's the rule in the NFL regarding these. Are players not allowed to practice with the team's official QB coach?

I wonder what jared or other players on the team are goung to be doing in the off season. Other than eating pizza and watching netflix obviously.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So what's the rule in the NFL regarding these. Are players not allowed to practice with the team's official QB coach?

I wonder what jared or other players on the team are goung to be doing in the off season. Other than eating pizza and watching netflix obviously.

Correct. Can't have contact with the coaching staff during certain parts of the offseason.

Scirca

Rookie
By your own standard, Goff is doomed. He hasn't won a single game, yet.

And most here say HE passes the "eye test", right?

I totally get that you're a Goff homer and mostly share in that enthusiasm, although clearly not to the same degree.

That said, I see no need to tear down Wentz for trying to improve himself on his own time on his own dime. Seems that's what he should be doing.

Good for him. He saw he needed to work on his craft and the CBA wouldn't let him stick around and work with coaches so he found private coaching.

What else should he do?

Seriously, Scirca? Because "people on the internet" perferred him over Goff and that upsets you, what else should Wentz have done as a professional athlete who is responsible to his team and his teammates?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get the criticism.

No. Goff doesn't fall under that catagory. He has only made 1 wtf was he thinking kind of decision(atlanta pick-6 interception) in 7 games. Wentz does it consistently every game. There isn't a game where he doesn't throw just a horrible pick. He should have gotten picked off 7 times against the Bengals.

"Seriously, Scirca? Because "people on the internet" perferred him over Goff and that upsets you, what else should Wentz have done as a professional athlete who is responsible to his team and his teammates?"

You think that that bothers me. What bothers me is that fact that Goff is thrown around the news as a bust yet Wentz isn't even in the same discussion. He has cost his team games, terrible decision maker, flopper.

P.S. Why is this in the Rams discussion, this has nothing to do with the Rams.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

lol what progression did you see from Goff. I don't like Wentz but even with teams getting film on him he was better then Goff. Goff started out bad then when teams got film on him he got worse too

Scirca

Rookie
lol what progression did you see from Goff. I don't like Wentz but even with teams getting film on him he was better then Goff. Goff started out bad then when teams got film on him he got worse too

Lets stick to the topic of the thread. This is only going to end in one of us getting really annoyed and putting the other on ignore.

It's good that he realizes he has mechanical issues even though he said he didn't in press conferences, and that it had nothing to do with his inaccurate passes. Having said that, he will revert to his old ways. Muscle memory is incredibly hard to change. Look at Tim Tebow, they have almost the same mechanics, he went to work out with these people, yet they couldn't fix it. Pressure and hits will quickly make him change his mechanics back to what they were.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lets stick to the topic of the thread. This is only going to end in one of us getting really annoyed and putting the other on ignore.

It's good that he realizes he has mechanical issues even though he said he didn't in press conferences, and that it had nothing to do with his inaccurate passes. Having said that, he will revert to his old ways. Muscle memory is incredibly hard to change. Look at Tim Tebow, they have almost the same mechanics, he went to work out with these people, yet they couldn't fix it. Pressure and hits will quickly make him change his mechanics back to what they were.

This is a discussion I don't get annoyed with those. I won't disrepect you and you haven't disrespected me. I like having these debates with you and @jrry32.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Having said that, he will revert to his old ways. Muscle memory is incredibly hard to change. Look at Tim Tebow, they have almost the same mechanics, he went to work out with these people, yet they couldn't fix it. Pressure and hits will quickly make him change his mechanics back to what they were.

This simply isn't accurate.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I saw quite a few Eagles games down the stretch, and wasn't watching them closely, but the routine thing I noticed was Wentz had trouble going through his reads. IMO the Eagles' staff started him out with heavily scripted plays early on, but when defenses started taking the early reads away the rook was exposed. Not a big deal, and yeah he needs the mechanics work, so I presume the staff were part of that decision and probably fed the QB coach a verbal list of what they need him to work on.

IMO Wentz is going to be an oustanding QB in this league. Both are quality prospects, we'll see who works his butt off to be great and all I care about is Goff is one of them.