CELEBRATE !! Cards @ Rams Victory / We’re in the Playoffs Thread!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
it was several weeks ago that i said if goff has another bad performance we should try wolford for a series or 2. i thought this would do a couple things 1 was to motivate goff 2 was it would give us an idea of what to do in the next draft. don't know if goff will be motivated but i don't think we need to spend a valuable draft pick on a qb. so over all i am pleased with what happened in the cads game.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
the eye test told me wolford processes and sees the field better that goff. makes good decisions with the football and can take a hit like goff. wolford runs like a back. we can win with wolford but lately with goff I will always wait for the mistake to rear its ugly head. may be he can get it together for the playoffs. we will see.

Ewe83

Mama's got a new baby boy
Do we need a "Dump on Goff" thread? Then the people who want to do that could do that there and let this be you know the party/victory thread instead of the dump on Goff thread. Just a thought

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The original comment that I responded to was that the Rams lacked big receivers who could catch a contested throw. If we count TEs, we already have one in Higbee and Kupp is 6’ 2”. We don’t need a power forward who can rebound if Goff could process faster and throw more accurately.

Goff was out against Arizona, and our red zone problems worsened. The OL is getting the push that is needed, and McVay's play-calling there this year hasn't been good. I remember how creative McVay was with Sammy Watkins in the red zone. I don't know why he hasn't used those plays since Watkins left.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Wolford played very well. Teams also have no tape on him. If he can keep up this level of play is anyone's guess. More often than not, however, the answer is no. Tebow. Austin Davis. Taysom Hill. Unknown QBs tend to see initial success above their talent level because of the lack of tape. If Wolford replicates this success for a handful of games, maybe a QB controversy starts. Currently, I think it would be foolish not to start Goff if he is able to go.

That's the key - *if* Goff is able to go. A throwing hand injury is not a joke. And Goff struggles with fumbles at the best of times. Wolford showed me enough that I want him starting until Goff is 100% - or at least reasonably close to it. That might well mean I want him starting in Seattle. We'll see what the reports on Goff's thumb say.

Our o-line also struggles to pass block, so Wolford's mobility is a big asset until that can be sorted out. If Whitworth returns, it will go a long way.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Oh and last point on Wolford’s interception. It was a shit read, no doubt about it. But I’ll never understand why McVay thought it was a great idea to call an empty set on the second play of the game when you were in pretty bad field position with a new QB. You had just run the ball well with Akers on the play before as well. I understand wanting to get your QB involved early and to get his feet wet but that play call was absolute ass.

McVay called an amazing game. I've been critical of him, but yesterday he did great. But you are spot on with this comment and I said similar in the GDT. You want to settle a new QB down, as nerves to start are very real. Even more so with so much on the line. That call was boneheaded. As soon as I saw the arrangement I was worried.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Goff was out against Arizona, and our red zone problems worsened. The OL is getting the push that is needed, and McVay's play-calling there this year hasn't been good. I remember how creative McVay was with Sammy Watkins in the red zone. I don't know why he hasn't used those plays since Watkins left.
Yes,
yes, the playcalling creativity has been lacking.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
You're confusing what people are saying IMO on deep threats. We don't have anybody with speed that defenses have to respect (the speed). People can get open down field especially when they are focusing on the run and not respecting the passing game. Two vastly different things.
You know, I'm not so sure about that. VJ had stepS on that one route that Wolford under threw. That was encouraging and helps confirm what some of us have been clamoring about for a while now. VJ has plenty of long speed. IMO, what he lacks in initial burst, he makes up for with footwork and getting the defenders hips flipped to his advantage. I would LOVE to see more shots to VJ down field.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You know, I'm not so sure about that. VJ had stepS on that one route that Wolford under threw. That was encouraging and helps confirm what some of us have been clamoring about for a while now. VJ has plenty of long speed. IMO, what he lacks in initial burst, he makes up for with footwork and getting the defenders hips flipped to his advantage. I would LOVE to see more shots to VJ down field.
Everybody would love to see more deep passing. Tyler Higbee has completed long passes does that suddenly make him a deep threat that defenses have to respect over the top? I get it we want to heap praise on all the players from yesterday but it seems like people are trying to make our WR's something they aren't because of a couple plays. With McVay we've had Watkins and Cooks in his first 3 years and nobody on the roster is a similar type of WR as those guys can we agree on that?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do we need a "Dump on Goff" thread? Then the people who want to do that could do that there and let this be you know the party/victory thread instead of the dump on Goff thread. Just a thought
It's coming I'd wager! We won yesterday and are in the playoffs and most of the 13 page celebration thread isn't really celebrating unfortunately.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
Have yet to sample the AZ media this morning but they must be beside themselves. The Cards may never beat the Rams again...

:LOL:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not going to criticize Wolford, but if Goff threw some of the balls he did the criticism would come raining down from all sides. If he was quarterbacking a game where offense scored 9 points this site would probably crash from all the flames.
You can lead and Everett to water, but you can’t make him catch the damn ball...

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Everybody would love to see more deep passing. Tyler Higbee has completed long passes does that suddenly make him a deep threat that defenses have to respect over the top? I get it we want to heap praise on all the players from yesterday but it seems like people are trying to make our WR's something they aren't because of a couple plays. With McVay we've had Watkins and Cooks in his first 3 years and nobody on the roster is a similar type of WR as those guys can we agree on that?
Sheesh. So people are getting attacked for being praising Wolford and also apparently for being POSITIVE about our other players. Higbee has caught long passes while standing absolutely ALONE after a blown coverage. Van straight ran past his defender. There are NO similarities between those players at all and you know that. Sure, Watkins and Cooks were more proven deep threats and I get it...we REALLY miss that as I have stated plenty of times. All I said was that I was encouraged by that route and the speed that VJ displayed. Nothing more, nothing less.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Have yet to sample the AZ media this morning but they must be beside themselves. The Cards may never beat the Rams again...

:LOL:
I saw a reaction thread where the Cards homer was blowing a gasket because in two consecutive weeks they couldn’t beat a back up QB....lol. I did mention that they should be happy for the former Arizona Hot Shot QB! Lol

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The point she's making is that there's a double standard. That's understandable to some degree. Wolford is a backup. This is his first game. I expect people to cut him a break. I expect people to be tough on Goff. He's our starter and highest paid player. But the people who are acting as if Wolford looked like a better QB than Goff with his play today are being disingenuous. And Ewe is right to make that point.

The issues you pointed out aren't reserved to Wolford. Goff just isn't cut the same breaks when they occur during his starts. And that's fine. He should be held to a higher standard. Because he's the better QB (as much as that would pain some to admit).
homer

Goff is hurt and so it’s not negative to say how proud I am of Wolford. With our extensive history of bad to marginal QB’s since Bulger left, watching a back up QB work out the kinks and still put the team in a position to win such an important game was an incredible job by him. Wolfy gets the same break that Jared got in that first of several losses under Fisher. I know that I said at the time that it’s just Goff’s first professional start and so let him get used to the speed of the game. That’s why I am so impressed by what Wolford didn’t do at the end of the game, which was to turn the ball over after Zona shut down the running game. He had every opportunity to pull a Sean Mannion, or a Kellen Clemens or a Chase Keenum and he didn’t.

Does this mean that I want Goof to be replaced by Wolfy? No. I do want Goff perfectly healthy for Seattle and not giving us a flawed performance due to incomplete injury recovery. Wolford would give Pete Carroll problems in trying to game plan for a mobile QB who can make accurate throws...especially if our WR’s/TE’s catch the damn ball.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

This is supposed to say "The OL is NOT getting the push that is needed . . . ."

You can lead and Everett to water, but you can’t make him catch the damn ball...

Everett's hand technique is poor, and he plays too passively when the ball is in the air. The guy is physical with it in his hands, but he lacks that mentality when it's not. I tried pointing this out on the 4th down throw against the Jets. Everett could have made the play if he had attacked the football. Instead, he had his hands turned the wrong way and waited for it to come to him.