Cardinals petrified of Arians' 'Accountability Board'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Bob McManaman, USA TODAY Sports
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2013/08/21/bruce-arians-accountability-board/2680337/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... d/2680337/</a>

1377087029000-USP-NFL-Arizona-Cardinals-Training-Camp.jpg

TEMPE, Ariz. -- If you've ever had that dream where you're back in high school, you forgot the combination to your locker and you're wandering the halls naked in sheer panic, then you know what mornings are like for Cardinals players in training camp.

The day starts off with a hot shower and a nice breakfast and then it goes completely to hell, thanks to head coach Bruce Arians and his "Accountability Board."

"It's really just a sheet on an overhead (projector)," Arians said. "But, yeah, we start every meeting with all of the mental errors and penalties. You know, Cardinals beating Cardinals."

To say Arians is a stickler for details wouldn't be giving the "Accountability Board" justice. Any misstep, misread, misdeed and mistake is jotted down, and the offending player pays for it by basically being ripped apart by Arians in front of the entire team.

Turn the wrong way after finishing a block? You're on the list. Were you two seconds late getting to the huddle? You're on the list. Didn't drop back that one extra step into coverage? You're on the list.

"Trust me," veteran pass rusher John Abraham said, "you don't want your name on there. You don't want to be called out in front of everybody. It would be different if it was just in your own (positional) meeting room.

"But when you get singled out like that, it stings, man. I was on there once, and I didn't like it, either."

Arians estimates he's been relying on this scared-straight teaching tool for almost 25 years now and it usually brings about the desired results. It wakes the player up like a hard slap across the face and the player responds by not repeating the mistake.

"He'll get you for the littlest thing," rookie running back Andre Ellington complained. "You can step wrong and you'll be on that board the next morning, getting yelled at."

"That's why I like it, though," said Daryl Washington, Pro Bowl middle linebacker, "because even the smallest things can beat you."

Arians may have his favorites, but he doesn't play them when it comes to his mass public maligning sessions. If you screw up, you're going to get called out whether your name is Larry Fitzgerald or Padric Scott, the team's fourth-string nose tackle.

"Anybody is fair game if you make a mistake," second-year tackle Bobby Massie said. "I was on there earlier in camp but I haven't been on there for a week and a half. That's a good thing, too."

The "Accountability Board" might just be a sheet on an overhead projector, but its weight is legendary. It's brought the proudest of savvy NFL veterans to their knees.

"I think Reggie put it the best last year — 'You don't want to be on that list,' " said Arians, the Indianapolis Colts' head coach last season, referring to Colts wide receiver Reggie Wayne. "He had one bad day, very similar to Larry when we moved him into a new position, and he was up on there like seven times.

"He came into my office, livid. I said, 'Hey dude, you'll get off of it.' He said, 'I'm never going to be on it again.' I don't think he was. It's a pride factor."

Tony Jefferson, an undrafted rookie safety from Oklahoma, had two interceptions in Saturday's preseason victory over the Cowboys. He also was second on the team in tackles and had two of them behind the line of scrimmage.

Surely, he wouldn't make the infamous "Accountability Board" the next morning.

"Oh yeah," Jefferson said. "You can get eight interceptions and find yourself on there. If you mess up, you're going to be on there, and he's going to call you out about it.

"That's why it's very important, especially for the younger guys like me, to be in our books. I take real advantage of that, and it's a lot of sacrifice. On days off you may want to chill or go to the movies or kick it with people. You can't do it, not at this level. Wait until you're solidified."

Even then, a player can't be safe. If a mistake is made, Arians will sniff it out and rub his nose in it.

"Nobody wants to be on the accountability sheet," guard Daryn Colledge said. "It's one of the most embarrassing things that can happen."

If Cardinals players don't like it now, just wait until the season starts, Arians warned.

"Once we get down to the 53-man roster," the coach snarled, "that thing better be real short."

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I hate fear based control techniques like this..... I find them to be chicken shit. They've never worked on me, and just serve to lower my respect for the teacher.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Stranger nailing it:
I hate fear based control techniques like this..... I find them to be chicken shyte. They've never worked on me, and just serve to lower my respect for the teacher.
It's the kind of thing that people use when they lack the appropriate teaching and leadership skills.

nighttrain

Legend
Stranger said:
I hate fear based control techniques like this..... I find them to be chicken shyte. They've never worked on me, and just serve to lower my respect for the teacher.
:plus1:
train

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Stranger said:
I hate fear based control techniques like this..... I find them to be chicken shit. They've never worked on me, and just serve to lower my respect for the teacher.

You're right on the money here. People respond WAY better to "hope of gain" versus "fear of loss" and even I have known that for years.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Bruce Arians is kind of a whacko. He was crazy in Pittsburgh too.

Kinda like Mike Martz in a way.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
LesBaker said:
Stranger said:

You're right on the money here. People respond WAY better to "hope of gain" versus "fear of loss" and even I have known that for years.
Even the Monster in the Pixar movie Monsters Inc. figured it out! :cheese:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, let's see how this plays out because if he wins in week one many posters will wish the Rams had an accountability board or a Fisher's Fish Tanks!

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Arians is a very good coach. The question is has he surrounded himself with enough quality coaches?

The Cards won't be an easy W.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHaywzVnIBs[/youtube]

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Arians sounds like he could have the makings of a modern day CEO in America.
Now all he has to do is ask all the vets on the team to restructure their contracts to do the same job they've been doing for years...and claim its because they need to bring in younger,better players that play for less money and don't know any better in terms of the new "accountability culture."

They already have an owner that thinks you can win with the "more with less" business/franchise model.

WvuIN02

Starter
As far as his big board goes, who wouldnt want a coach who makes his players accountable and tries to reach perfection. These guys make absurd amounts of money, either buy in or go to someplace where you can go through the motions. Its like the military, you screw up you dont get a bunch of pats on the back and do better next times. Not saying the stakes are as high in football, but a good kick in the arse is missing these days. Do your job and you wont be on the board.

He's a great coach. There's a reason Ben R didnt want him to leave Pittsburgh. He did an amazing job with Indy with a rookie QB and only having Reggie Wayne. I mean, look at all Rg3 and Wilson had. Dominating running games, solid OL's, and good to great defenses. Indy had none of that and still went to the playoffs.

It's not a coincidence he is very well respected by the QBs he coached with Manning, Big Ben, and now Luck. They are all good QBs to be sure, but he had a huge part in their development. How he gets so much out of young QBs is something I think that is impressive. I wouldn't overlook Arizona at all.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
WvuIN02 said:
As far as his big board goes, who wouldnt want a coach who makes his players accountable and tries to reach perfection. These guys make absurd amounts of money, either buy in or go to someplace where you can go through the motions. Its like the military, you screw up you dont get a bunch of pats on the back and do better next times. Not saying the stakes are as high in football, but a good kick in the arse is missing these days. Do your job and you wont be on the board.

He's a great coach. There's a reason Ben R didnt want him to leave Pittsburgh. He did an amazing job with Indy with a rookie QB and only having Reggie Wayne. I mean, look at all Rg3 and Wilson had. Dominating running games, solid OL's, and good to great defenses. Indy had none of that and still went to the playoffs.

It's not a coincidence he is very well respected by the QBs he coached with Manning, Big Ben, and now Luck. They are all good QBs to be sure, but he had a huge part in their development. How he gets so much out of young QBs is something I think that is impressive. I wouldn't overlook Arizona at all.

Yup Yup and Yup. He will make the west a 4 horse race.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Stranger said:

Yep, I'm not a fan of them either. I remember when I first was put into a leadership position in the Army my lieutenant took me aside and told me "If your men fear you they will follow you into battle, but if they love and respect you they are willing to die for you in battle."

Granted I never wanted anyone to die for me, but the message was clear, so I molded my approach around this. I made sure they got the lesson but I also made sure that they enjoyed themselves and were taken care of. I could definitely tell that my men were willing to go to hell and back with me, even if they didn't have to, and they knew I would do the same. The end result was an incredible group.

I'm sure he's not a bad coach, I just don't agree with that approach. It may get results, but it doesn't get the best results possible.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
bluecoconuts said:
Stranger said:

Yep, I'm not a fan of them either. I remember when I first was put into a leadership position in the Army my lieutenant took me aside and told me "If your men fear you they will follow you into battle, but if they love and respect you they are willing to die for you in battle."

Granted I never wanted anyone to die for me, but the message was clear, so I molded my approach around this. I made sure they got the lesson but I also made sure that they enjoyed themselves and were taken care of. I could definitely tell that my men were willing to go to hell and back with me, even if they didn't have to, and they knew I would do the same. The end result was an incredible group.

I'm sure he's not a bad coach, I just don't agree with that approach. It may get results, but it doesn't get the best results possible.

Everyone reponds to different techniques. The key is to surround yourself with the type of people that responds to your technique.

Different strokes for different folks.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Bill Gates was great to work for and Jack Welch really sucked. Both were very successful but I know who I would want to go the extra mile for at work.