Cardinals can win the NFC West because of... Carson Palmer?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
:bahaha: In your dreams Calais Campbell!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike-freeman/22731473/arizonas-calais-campbell-the-cardinals-can-win-the-nfc-west" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/mike- ... e-nfc-west</a>

There are many things to discuss with one of the NFL's most vibrant personalities in Arizona defensive lineman Calais Campbell. We could start with his trip to Nigeria this offseason with teammate Sam Acho to assist a hospital that treats poor families. Or his screenwriting classes that's led to a rough draft of a script about “a workforce David vs. Goliath story.”

What he can also discuss is football because, you know, that's his job. Specifically, Campbell is asked about the NFC West, the toughest division in the NFL, and if the Cardinals can win it.

"Yeah, we can," he says.

Last year the 49ers went to the Super Bowl and almost won it. The Seahawks made the playoffs and have chance to make the Super Bowl this season. The Rams are a trendy pick to win the division based on their division leading 4-1-1 record last year. Yes, the Rams -- not the 49ers or Seahawks -- had the best division record. The Cardinals went 5-11 overall and finished last.

“That was last year,” Campbell says, “and I think you're going to see a different team this season. A very different one.”

What will be so different this season from last?

“We have a quarterback,” he said.

And there it is. The big reason why the Cardinals could end up being one of the true surprises in football comes down to two words: Carson Palmer.

“I think it's very likely we can win the division, yes,” Campbell said. “I respect every opponent in our division. Every one. But I think of it this way. We were able to hang in a bunch of our division games without a real quarterback.

“I don't want to disrespect anyone but now we have a real quarterback to go with a good defense. When we play with a lead, we're hard to beat. This is the first time in years that we have an offense that matches our defense.”

He added: “I was talking to Carson the other day and he said he's never really played with a good defense before. I told him it's been awhile since I played with a good quarterback.”

Arizona had one of the best defenses in football last year (Campbell was a big part of the reason why). It ranked 12th in yards allowed while Arizona's offense scored just 250 points. The only team that scored less was Kansas City with 211.

Last season Arizona was plagued by a plethora of crap at quarterback that included John Skelton, Kevin Kolb, Brian Hoyer and Ryan Lindley. This led to one of the NFL's greatest weapons, Larry Fitzgerald, having career lows in almost every significant receiving category.

In 2011 the quarterbacks were Kolb and Skelton and one year before that in 2010 they were Derek Anderson, Skelton and Max Hall.

You have to go back to 2009 to find a good Cardinals quarterback. That was Kurt Warner. The addition of Palmer means the Cardinals now have what the rest of the teams in the division possess: a capable thrower.

Now, I'm not as high on Palmer as Campbell is, but Campbell is right in that Palmer gives the offense a basic level of competence and with some of the weapons the Cardinals have on offense, there is actually potential for the Arizona offense to be pretty good.

The defense is already there. Campbell is one of those players who may not be a household name with some fans but inside the sport is considered one of the most talented defensive players in the game.

Campbell also said he's fully bought into the new coach, Bruce Arians, after initially being unsure what to expect. Campbell added something else that was interesting. “A lot of the defensive linemen wanted (then Arizona defensive line coach) Ray Horton to get the head coaching job,” he said.

After Horton was passed over, he left Arizona to become the defensive coordinator in Cleveland. Meanwhile, Arians has made believers out of the linemen who actually wanted Horton to get the job Arians eventually did.

“I've been really impressed with Coach Arians,” Campbell said. “The entire team feel the same.”

Off the field, the Life of Campbell has been just as fascinating as what's happening with the Arizona team. He spent a week in Nigeria recently volunteering at hospital there. While the country is oil rich it remains drastically impoverished. Nigeria just signed a deal with China to get a $1 billion loan to help build its infrastructure.

In the week Campbell was there, the hospital received more than 3,000 people and much of the country has shortages of medicine and equipment.

“You really see how night and day it is between America and there,” Campbell said. “We can get treatment and medicine here. The hospitals there can't do basic things.”

In Arizona, Campbell has also been spending his time learning the art of filmmaking by taking classes at local college. His goal post-NFL is to become a director.

If he were to direct a movie now, it might be called: “The Cardinals Have a Quarterback.”

And they can win again.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Re: Cardinals can win the NFC West because of... Carson Palm

Shouldn't this have been posted in the Fiction section? :rofl:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

One thing's for sure though. Palmer is better than anyone they've had the past few years. I don't know how well he's going to do the first year (somebody from the Rams might actually kill him), but if he makes it through the first few games, he's going to put up some numbers, and we'll all remember Fitzgerald for who he really is.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Okay here's my feeling on Palmer..The Rams have to play two other QB's in the division Tattoo Sally of the 49ers and Tom Hanks confidant in Cast Away lying sleepless in Seattle. Palmer cannot run and is a statue in the pocket so I welcome the two games against him and look forward to the mighty Quinn reminding Palmer he's no longer in the patsie division of the AFC West.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

Carson Palmer is to Kevin Kolb as Darian Stewart is to Craig Dahl.

Advantage to the Cardinals since the QB touches the ball on every offensive play.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

X said:
One thing's for sure though. Palmer is better than anyone they've had the past few years. I don't know how well he's going to do the first year (somebody from the Rams might actually kill him), but if he makes it through the first few games, he's going to put up some numbers, and we'll all remember Fitzgerald for who he really is.
Amen to that X Palmer has tools and IMO but for a VonOlhaufen hit could have had a ring

iced

good defense with their secondary? lol right....

let's see how good adrian wilson's replacement is ... i also remember toller kept getting burned deep, both times by givens for deep td's.

moklerman

Warner-phile

New coach, new scheme, new personnel on both sides of the ball in Arizona so it's hard to say what a different QB is going to do for Arizona.

They did have a good defense and were 5-0 with very mediocre QB play last year so I'm inclined to go with the basic premise here. I'm not a Palmer hater and think what he did with Oakland with very little talent around him goes to show he can still produce.

Arizona's still got some good receivers and Arians did some nice things with Indy last year and a QB that doesn't move around a lot. I think the West is going to come down to who stays healthy.

Fitz will be back with Palmer throwing him the ball though.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

Most importantly, they addressed their dreadful O-line during the off season. Not enough but I think it was their achilles heel last year and it will be much better this year. I look for a much improved Cardinals team this year.

Iron Lion

Starter

When receivers lose their hands, they don't get them back. I've seen it many times.

And when QBs lose their accuracy, they don't get that back either. Palmer lost his accuracy when he retired. He has been off as a Raider the last two years. You guys have nothing to worry about. Arizona will probably finish 3-13.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Iron Lion said:
When receivers lose their hands, they don't get them back. I've seen it many times.

And when QBs lose their accuracy, they don't get that back either. Palmer lost his accuracy when he retired. He has been off as a Raider the last two years. You guys have nothing to worry about. Arizona will probably finish 3-13.
I'll bet you one of your p-hats that their win total will be higher.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB

iced said:
good defense with their secondary? lol right....

let's see how good adrian wilson's replacement is ... i also remember toller kept getting burned deep, both times by givens for deep td's.

Yea their secondary is pathetic. I think they will miss Kerry Rhodes more than Wilson. They have scrub safeties and their CBs are pretty bad or unknown after Patrick Peterson, who still in my mind is making plays on athleticism alone, not so much skill. He can be dangerous and is good, but IMO is not shutdown and is overrated at this point.

Palmer is better than Kolb but still meh AND I will add he is a stake in the ground, he can not move, so with that Oline which still has some big issues, he will be sacked 40+ times if he manages to play 14+ games. Cards have big RBs issues too IMO. Cards high in wins is 6, and low in losses 1-2. I see a 4 win team. DECENT defense but if their Dline has an off day I think they have no chance to win games.

iced

BTW they lost Daryl washington for the first 4 games right?

that's a big blow to them defensively

FRO

Legend

Let's not underestimate the Cardinals. They are improved. The key to their season is the OT position. They improved the interior of their line, but didn't add OTs. Palmer isn't what he used to be, but he is a solid QB.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

FRO said:
Let's not underestimate the Cardinals. They are improved. The key to their season is the OT position. They improved the interior of their line, but didn't add OTs. Palmer isn't what he used to be, but he is a solid QB.
Well then why don't you go buy a Cardinals jersey and move to Arizona since you looooove them so much.

iced

FRO said:

..... He's an interception prone QB with stone feet...

I love the fact that the Cardinal's didn't address their tackle position and traded for an immobile, interception prone quarterback... sounds like a recipe for a win for us

FRO

Legend

X said:
FRO said:
Well then why don't you go buy a Cardinals jersey and move to Arizona since you looooove them so much.
Ha. It just sucks that there is no easy team within this division.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

FRO said:
X said:
FRO said:
Ha. It just sucks that there is no easy team within this division.
I'm okay with it. I hope they're all strong so that when we roll them, it'll be that much more impressive. :gr:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

alot of drives were killed last season for the cards because their qbs couldn't hit a wide open fitzgerald. i don't think they're gonna have that problem with palmer so they will get better. i don't like palmer's chances of avoiding the rams pass rush though so i still think the rams will sweep them again this season.

…..

Legend

Thier defense wont matter when Palmer is tossing ducks to Jenoris for pick 6's

Palmer lost his edge a few years ago. He doesnt strike me as a "Come back Player of the Year" candidate.