Cardinals can win the NFC West because of... Carson Palmer?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

Re: Cardinals can win the NFC West because of... Carson Palm

kurtfaulk said:

alot of drives were killed last season for the cards because their qbs couldn't hit a wide open fitzgerald. i don't think they're gonna have that problem with palmer so they will get better. i don't like palmer's chances of avoiding the rams pass rush though so i still think the rams will sweep them again this season.

eh, maybe also consider the defensive philosophy - remember the first game against the lions? everyone was jumping routes because they knew stafford liked the short stuff with an occasional bomb to CJ.

Now Stafford is a way better QB than anything the Cardinals had - they probably weren't scared deep...and had no reason to be, so play all the short stuff...and we saw what happened - 2 pick 6's in one game for JJ, multiple INT in another and only yielded 3 points to an undefeated Cards team.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dog said:
Thier defense wont matter when Palmer is tossing ducks to Jenoris for pick 6's

Palmer lost his edge a few years ago. He doesnt strike me as a "Come back Player of the Year" candidate.

Yep.

I just don't fear Palmer.

At the end of the day the Cardinals finish 4th and nobody is surprised.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

moklerman

Warner-phile

I think you guys are counting Palmer out a bit too soon. His INT% was 2.5% last year which is right where it was when he was a pro-bowler and leading the league in TD's and completion % in '05 & '06 before he got hurt.

Also, his leading receiver last year was Brandon Myers(who?), the Raiders' TE. Heyward-Bey and Moore were not exactly the cream of the crop at WR.

I don't recall if Oakland changed their scheme last year. When Hue Jackson brought in Palmer the offense was obviously something he was familiar with but when McKenzie took over as GM last year and essentially cleaned house, I thought they had changed the offense but I just don't recall.

As far as Palmer's mobility, he doesn't take a huge number of sacks. 26 last year for example. So he won't be a runner like Wilson or Kaepernick, but he apparently still knows how to get rid of the ball.

Kind of a weird coincidence that Arians is taking over for Whisenhunt again like he did in Pittsburgh. As much respectability and success that Whisenhunt had with the Cardinals, he definitely had some shortcomings IMO. And as big a jump as Roethlisberger's numbers took with Arians after Whis left, I'm certainly curious to see what he can do with Palmer.

Iron Lion

Starter

X said:
Iron Lion said:
When receivers lose their hands, they don't get them back. I've seen it many times.

And when QBs lose their accuracy, they don't get that back either. Palmer lost his accuracy when he retired. He has been off as a Raider the last two years. You guys have nothing to worry about. Arizona will probably finish 3-13.
I'll bet you one of your p-hats that their win total will be higher.

Reported for flower gambling.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Iron Lion said:
X said:
Iron Lion said:
When receivers lose their hands, they don't get them back. I've seen it many times.

And when QBs lose their accuracy, they don't get that back either. Palmer lost his accuracy when he retired. He has been off as a Raider the last two years. You guys have nothing to worry about. Arizona will probably finish 3-13.

lol. Fight me IRL!

fearsomefour

Legend

Palmers stats from last year:
OAK com att com% yards per att td lg int rate
15 345 565 61.1 4,018 7.11 22 64 14 85.7

So, he was actually pretty good in Oakland last year with a WR corp that could be considered worse than the Rams. Also, the "bell cow" RB was hurt most of the year and the Oline wasnt good. If Arizona can develop a legit second and third receiver threat other than Fitz, and Im not talking about a guy scoring 70 yard TDs, just someone consistant who can get open and get first downs, I think Palmer has a big year. If you are going with a pocket passer you adapt your offense to that. There are few things more overrated to me than talking about the mobility of a pocket passer. A pocket passer doesnt need to run, just slide and buy time, Palmer can certainly do that. When Warner was in Arizona the Oline stunk pass blocking. I would argue they never got better. Warner could beat the pass rush with pre snap reads and getting rid of the ball quickly. Palmer is not Warner. But, he is not Kolb either. He is an experienced, poised vet QB with a very good skill set. I think his efforts in Oakland last year were approaching heroic. Easy to write a guy off. I think Palmer was very good given the circumstances last year. I think he is a perfect fit in Arizona in the short term. I think with a much better WR corp and a much better D in Arizona Palmer will have a very good year.
I could see all four teams in the West with 2 games of each other. The West is going to be a grind.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

AZ's OLine has been awful forever and it will remain that way until they get into the habit of actually drafting OLinemen,signing good ones,and also coaching them up. Drafting J.Cooper was a nice start.

They've been drafting nothing but skill guys on offense and defense(WR's...RB's...backup QB's...CB's..etc..)and it has simply caught up to them,evidenced by them being weak in the trenches. They have a weak OLine and no legit pass rushers. Even a Carson Palmer resurrection won't fix that in one offseason.

Its possible that their new regime gets it,but even if they do its too early to start seeing it payoff.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

My long winded point was that the problems in AZ have been more than just bad QB play.

Its a new regime,so its possible that things are moving in the right direction for them,but they are rebuilding with only a few legit pieces in place already.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan

mojorizen7 running out of wind:
My long winded point was that the problems in AZ have been more than just bad QB play.

Its a new regime,so its possible that things are moving in the right direction for them,but they are rebuilding with only a few legit pieces in place already.

I agree with your general view point on this. I'll just add a few items.

In addition to drafting Cooper, I've read many reports that talked about their O-line starting to gel at the end of the season.

Their D was very good last year and even better than it looked due to their horrendous O keeping it on the field all the time. They lost thier two starting safeties (sounds familiar) but the picked up a pretty good one in Bell. Wilson is 33 (Mikell) so that wasn't a huge loss.

Key free-agent signings: RB Rashard Mendenhall (Pittsburgh), QB Carson Palmer (Oakland), LB Lorenzo Alexander (Washington), LB Karlos Dansby (Miami), S Yeremiah Bell (New York Jets), LB Jasper Brinkley (Minnesota), CB Antoine Cason (San Diego), DE Matt Shaughnessy (Oakland), CB Jerraud Powers (Indianapolis)

Key players lost: QB Kevin Kolb, RB Beanie Wells, CB William Gay, FS Kerry Rhodes, LB Stewart Bradley, LB Quentin Groves, CB Greg Toler, S Adrian Wilson

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB

Key free-agent signings: RB Rashard Mendenhall (Pittsburgh), QB Carson Palmer (Oakland), LB Lorenzo Alexander (Washington), LB Karlos Dansby (Miami), S Yeremiah Bell (New York Jets), LB Jasper Brinkley (Minnesota), CB Antoine Cason (San Diego), DE Matt Shaughnessy (Oakland), CB Jerraud Powers (Indianapolis)

That list put me to sleep...And has the Rams players licking their chops (but not overlooking) for week 1, a good appetizer before a showdown in Atlanta.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

Coach Arians is the most important offseason move they did imo. One things for sure though, they better hope that line preforms better or else the Rams D will have a field day again.

Iron Lion

Starter

X said:
Iron Lion said:
X said:
Iron Lion said:

lol. Fight me IRL!

ChallengeAcceptedBlackTextSS.png

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael

iced said:
FRO said:
Let's not underestimate the Cardinals. They are improved. The key to their season is the OT position. They improved the interior of their line, but didn't add OTs. Palmer isn't what he used to be, but he is a solid QB.

..... He's an interception prone QB with stone feet...

I love the fact that the Cardinal's didn't address their tackle position and traded for an immobile, interception prone quarterback... sounds like a recipe for a win for us
That's exactly what I was thinking. Their QB is better, but their O-line still sucks something awful. They have no running game and one good WR. Palmer is slow and prone to getting sacked. It's a recipe for disaster.

Once Palmer gets smacked around against the defenses in the NFC West he'll want to rethink his retirement.

nighttrain

Legend

Tron said:
Shouldn't this have been posted in the Fiction section? :rofl:
i would estimate that a healthy Carson Palmer makes the Cards a very dangerous team. not to be taken lightly
train

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler

Palmer is not that good anymore. I always found him to be very overrated. In his glory days with the Bungals I never saw him do much with that squad.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

brokeu91 said:
Once Palmer gets smacked around against the defenses in the NFC West he'll want to rethink his retirement.

That's what I'm thinking! :hehe: