Captain hindsight: Robinson or Matthews?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Going back to May 8th, which tackle would you rather take 2nd overall?

• Jake Matthews

Votes: 39 38.6%
  • Greg Robinson

Votes: 62 61.4%

• Total voters

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Matthews did offer versatility, but I don't think he offered the nastiness and the power that this regime was invisioning on the offensive line.

Matthews was a great prospect, and should be one of the top technicians in the NFL for the next eight years, but Robinson has such rare physical skills and abilities that it's well worth the growing pains.

How many early picks has this regime truly missed on? Pead?

My last couple posts weren't intended to criticize Fisher or anyone else. I was just pointing out that there hasn't actually been much said negative, and to dispute the notion that Matthews wasn't versatile enough to play guard.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Matthews did offer versatility, but I don't think he offered the nastiness and the power that this regime was invisioning on the offensive line.

Matthews was a great prospect, and should be one of the top technicians in the NFL for the next eight years, but Robinson has such rare physical skills and abilities that it's well worth the growing pains.

How many early picks has this regime truly missed on? Pead?

I have had the chance to observe Jake Mathews a lot in his game with the Falcons & I have a high opinion him as a OT but I simply do not see any power in his 6-6 frame. JM gives up territory fast & has little push. But like Zig Zag states he one great technician in containment.

One of the big selling points of Matthews was that he could play any position on the line. I think he showed more potential to walk in and play OG than Robinson did. And outside of a person or two, nobody is saying much of anything negative about Robinson. Just talking about our pre draft positions.
Here's a scouting report
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/jake-matthews?id=2543758

Jake Matthews certainly could play the interior but he hasn't. He could man one of the OG post but it sure would be a waste of OT ability! I simple do not feel that JM would be a effective OG in the NFL in run blocking.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I absolutely wanted a trade down the most. A first rounder in 2015? Yeah, I would have taken that in a heartbeat. You just can't overstate the positive financial impact that quality draft picks offer to a team.

Of course, Khalil Mack was the second option on my list, then Matthews, then Robinson.

All that said, I was genuinely ecstatic with their choices and I still am. Seriously, there can't really be anyone who believes that Robinson won't be on the field this year.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Jake Matthews certainly could play the interior but he hasn't. He could man one of the OG post but it sure would be a waste of OT ability! I simple do not feel that JM would be a effective OG in the NFL in run blocking.

I think he'd be pretty good on a consistent zone blocking team. But, not in a power man type scheme.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Matthews's athleticism would make him a good pulling guard IMO.

I hope Robinson gets into the game somewhat on Sunday. Him at LG and Long at LT would make up one of the best run blocking combos in game. Call me strange but I'm more excited to see GRob at G than T. Our tackles have been better than our interior line,

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think he'd be pretty good on a consistent zone blocking team. But, not in a power man type scheme.
This is true Memphis. In truth, Jake Matthews was not a good fit for a Boudreau style OL whereas Greg Robinson looks to be the perfect fit. What remains for us to see is.... if Boudreau, (who is an excellent @ reconstruction/refurbishing failed OL'ers).....if he can mold a very young green OL'er like Greg Robinson into an all pro. Boudreau has worked on a failed WWC Barksdale in 2012 & had him starting midway thru 2013 & up to par. Greg Robinson has a far better latent physical abilities for Boudreau to work with.

Finding very good young starting OLT's in the NFL is still difficult & still remains a high on the scale of importance for most all teams. Using a good young OLT & starting him inside just is so wrong. Interior OL'ers are just much easier to discover & start for most teams. That's what Jake Matthews is a OLT IMO. Matt Ryan sure needs Jake Matthews its an excellent match!

The Rams have done a bit better @ OLT over the last decade or so than @ ORT until Barksdale show'd up last season. Whenever Greg Robinson catches fire & begins to dominate on that left side @ run blocking as well @ pass blocking.... Rams will have a decision to make with Jake Long sooner or later. I have been happy with Jake Long's play coming back from that ACL/MCL very late last year..kudos!

I sure do not see Jake Long's NFL future moving inside to OLG or ORG. If Barksdale gets lucky & escapes this loosing Rams team in a few months to free agency Jake Long might flip to take up JB's starting post @ ORT. If Rodger Saffold remains healthy & grades out outstanding this season @ OLG I do not see him returning to an OT post. But Jake Long would be the highest paid Right OT in the NFL! Rams seem to have more issues in these OG posts than most other teams in our recent past. I would say that in the near future the Rams will have a very effective left side OL a Jake Long/ Greg Robinson that should run into 2016 season outside of an injury.

Last edited:

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
At the time of the draft, Matthews was more ready, Robinson had more upside. That seems to be playing out pretty much as expected. I like what I saw out of Robinson when he played in preseason - he was physically dominating guys, and while he made mental mistakes, he seemed to learn quickly from them.

I hate that he's not playing, but I still like the pick. We didn't need a guy to step in and be a tackle in 2014... we needed a guy who we believed was the better player over the next decade, and who we felt fit better as a guard his first year or 2.

Does anyone actually think Jake Matthews would be playing tackle for the Rams in 2014 had they drafted him? Over Long and Barksdale? I don't see it. And I don't think Matthews has the body to play guard.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Does anyone actually think Jake Matthews would be playing tackle for the Rams in 2014 had they drafted him? Over Long and Barksdale? I don't see it. And I don't think Matthews has the body to play guard.

Excellent Question!.....Boudreau previous job who let him go ....Atlanta Falcons sure must be happy to have selected OT Jake Matthews now....Falcons lost 3 OL starters in last weeks game..ORT-OC & OLG. Starting OC & ORT have already been placed on IR. Falcons best OL'er starting OLG Justin Blalock may soon follow..he is out indefinitely with a real bad back. The Falcons have already lost four starters to the IR. The only original starter @ ORG is ORG Jon Asamoah & Matthews started @ ORT has move to OLT. We here as Ram fans may complain about things but when you look around the NFL .....issues, problems & injuries are hitting other teams too.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Excellent Question!.....Boudreau previous job who let him go ....Atlanta Falcons sure must be happy to have selected OT Jake Matthews now....Falcons lost 3 OL starters in last weeks game..ORT-OC & OLG. Starting OC & ORT have already been placed on IR. Falcons best OL'er starting OLG Justin Blalock may soon follow..he is out indefinitely with a real bad back. The Falcons have already lost four starters to the IR. The only original starter @ ORG is ORG Jon Asamoah & Matthews started @ ORT has move to OLT. We here as Ram fans may complain about things but when you look around the NFL .....issues, problems & injuries are hitting other teams too.
You have to think that if Long or Barksdale went down, Robinson would be starting at tackle, getting the chance to prove his worth. As it stands, we're starting (ostensibly) our best 5, although I'd much rather see Robinson at LG and Saffold at RG. And Jones, uninjured and fulfilling my mancrush dreams, playing center.

Good point on the Falcons' injury woes, which have allowed Matthews to come in and make a real impact. Situations differ... if we swapped Robinson for Matthews, I wonder if Robinson would be starting - and playing well - at tackle for the Falcons, while Matthews sat on the bench in STL, generating the same conversation with the names in reverse.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sure that all Rams fans hoped GRob would start at guard this year.

The only difference between these two sides is people that judge a player after so short a period of time, and those who wait.

I'm disappointed that GRob isn't starting - but I'd still take him over Jake Matthews. There is nothing wrong with saying you prefer that we would have drafted Matthews..............until you start using their rookie years as the basis for your argument. It is incredibly idiotic to say that we should have drafted JM over GR because JM is starting now and GR is not. Incredibly idiotic. There are countless examples of that type of situation where either player could turn out to be better - but the point is, we don't know.

It is even more idiotic to question the front office this early for the pick. I believe the intent of this post was to see what we all thought about Matthews vs. Robinson right now....I'd still take Robinson. IMO, he will be far better when it is all said and done.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You have to think that if Long or Barksdale went down, Robinson would be starting at tackle, getting the chance to prove his worth. As it stands, we're starting (ostensibly) our best 5, although I'd much rather see Robinson at LG and Saffold at RG. And Jones, uninjured and fulfilling my mancrush dreams, playing center.

Good point on the Falcons' injury woes, which have allowed Matthews to come in and make a real impact. Situations differ... if we swapped Robinson for Matthews, I wonder if Robinson would be starting - and playing well - at tackle for the Falcons, while Matthews sat on the bench in STL, generating the same conversation with the names in reverse.

Looks to me the Ram OL plan is staying & holding course as well as can be expected & I feel real good about it really... Boudreau was able to get his current reserve OL'ers Barnes-Robinson-Person & even your man-crush Ram Barrett Jones a ton of heavy duty work in TC & pre season due to the early unhealthy & injuries to our starters like Long/Wells/Saffold. Interior OL'er Jones appears to be the least able to fill in currently but as time wears on he will get better & regain his strength later this season. Next season the Rams have the center post well endowed with Barnes, Jones, Rhaney & if they want veteran Scott Wells.

The keeping of Davin Joseph in @ ORG enables Boudreau to maintain Saffold on the LEFT side so if our OLT goes down he moves over a few feet & continues on without a hiccup. GR's present primary role IMO is @ OLG Saffold post. Mike Person has been active thus far too for that left side, though much better suited for back up role on the edge. So Boudreau is set up on that blind side very well. if something was to occurred to the right side then Saffold would be called to flip thus again bringing in early cited Boudreau OL plan on the left side.