Can Steven Jackson Be a Hall of Famer?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He has HOF talent. But he had the incredible misfortune of never playing on a winning team. That is not an indictment of his abilities, but rather the putrid supporting casts he had around him.

Short Answer: No. National media (outside of STL) didn't watch SJ closely because he was rarely on relevant teams and thus played the majority of his career under the radar (of the national media). He never had a rushing title or a signature moment that everyone remembers him by. His numbers a good, but not great.

Long Answer: There's more than meets the eye with SJ. His 8-straight 1,000 yard seasons was only accomplished by 5 other backs: Emmit Smith, Barry Sanders, Curtis Martin, Thurman Thomas, and LT; all HOF backs (LT soon to be). He also has an NFC rushing title in 2009 (playing the second half with a herniated disc that would IR most guys). Was the consummate pro and never complained about the losing. He is an all-around back who could run with power, speed, block, catch, and ensure ball security.

21st ALL Time in Yards From Scrimmage
View attachment 6340
6th best single-season yards from scrimmage
View attachment 6341
And 16th all time in career rushing yards
View attachment 6342

Some may say I'm just trying to throw the book at you and wow you with stats, but if you look at the company he is with on these 3 lists, it's hard to argue he doesn't have a shot. Hell Curtis Martin got in and he was never considered the best RB at any time when he played in the league.

My gut says outside of STL nobody knows or cares enough about SJ to consider him as a legitimate HOF player. Had he been surrounded by a better teams that didn't have over half their OL out of the NFL the following year, he may have had a chance.

But to any who say SJ was an unspectacular back who didn't make "wow" plays I'll post my YouTube video:

That video was awesome!

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Like @rams24/7 illustrated in a previous post, he's within striking distance of being Top 10 in yards from scrimmage in NFL history. And this is a guy that I don't think completed many 16 game seasons. That's pretty incredible.

Now it's pretty improbable that he hits that mark as this is probably (unfortunately) his last year, but if he did somehow, he's a lock.

tempests

Hall of Fame
21st ALL Time in Yards From Scrimmage
6th best single-season yards from scrimmage
And 16th all time in career rushing yards

A few others;

Only Ram player to rush for 150 yards and gain 100 yards receiving in the same game.
Only one of two RBs in NFL history(Tomlinson the other) to rush for 1500 yards and catch 90 passes in the same season.
One of nine players in NFL history to rush for 11 000 yards and catch 400 passes.

Although I agree with the sentiment of most here that not gaining exposure via prime time games or the postseason is going to keep him out.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think he should. I don't think he will. As many have already said, put SJ on a good team and he is a shoe in.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think he should. I don't think he will. As many have already said, put SJ on a good team and he is a shoe in.
Agree.

He clearly deserves to be in IMHO.

But it's not likely he will because of the really bad teams he played on.

I'm pulling for him, though!

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I still don't get the Hall of Fame lol. It is meant to reward individual players for being among the all time bests at their positions. So why do super bowl wins go into it? That's a team thing. You need a good to great team around you to win one or multiple Super Bowls. But every year guys are being talked about and are said to not have a chance because they didn't win one. But there are also guys that have one and the stats (Bruce and Holt) and are still not likely to make it in. I don't get it. I don't think guys should be punished because they weren't fortunate enough to play on good teams most of their career.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still hard to believe that when you look down his season stats, one season sticks out like a sore thumb. 2006 across the board, and what makes it hard to believe is that he had that success with a bum like Linehan. Not a Martz or a Fisher.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2005: 1046 rushing yards/320 receiving yards/1366 total
2006: 1528/806/2334
2007: 1002/271/1273
2008: 1042/379/1421
2009: 1416/322/1738
2010: 1241/383/1624
2011: 1145/333/1478
2012: 1045/321/1366

While 2006 may stick out, it's pretty clear to me that he was incredibly consistent and productive during the mainstay of his career.

Seems Linehan figured out a way to getr him the ball via the air. Not sure if that makes Linehan a bum or what to think of the others.