Can Stedman Bailey get off the LOS?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Brothers, First off I am not questioning the validity of the Stedman Bailey pick. I am just trying to figure out where he will line up - realistically.

So... Can Stedman Bailey get off the line of scrimmage vs. press coverage (in the NFL)?

I have only seen his highlight videos, which do not answer this question.

The reason I ask the question is because some of our WR's will actually have to line up on the LOS. So the larger question is; which ones (obviously not Tavon Austin)?

I'd say yes...Example below vs. Morris Claiborne, who at the end of the season, called Stedman the toughest WR he faced all season

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w201NnoXDCw[/youtube]

WvuIN02

Starter
What the above poster said.

Morris Claiborne played Stedman all game in press man to man in our game vs LSU 2 years ago and Steds stat line at the end of the night read 8 catches for 115 yards and 1 td.

Keep in mind Claiborne was a top 10 pick in round 1 last year for Dallas and Sted ate his lunch.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
WVU4Rams1and3 said:
I'd say yes...Example below vs. Morris Claiborne, who at the end of the season, called Stedman the toughest WR he faced all season

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w201NnoXDCw[/youtube]

Sweet post! Thank you WVU4Rams1and3!

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
^ That's some damn good insight there guys. I like our new WV Ram fans! :tooth:

A55VA6

Legend
Yeah I definitely like the WVU fans here, giving some good incite! It looks like Bailey is physical and tough despite being a smaller guy. I have no worries at all about him.

WVURxMan

UDFA
You want a display of toughness? Let's consult my .gif repository.

Here he is blowing up a first round raft pick
Stedblocking.gif

Here he is blowing up two dudes like a tank on a KOR. Obviously, this combo can continue in the pros.
SteddyBKORetBlocksvsTexas.gif

Here he is (he wore #10 his Fresh year) blowing up a dude on a running play:
jayihs.jpg

Here he is discarding two CBs
stedcatchvscuse2011.gif

Here he is making Pitt look stupid. Which is easy to do, because they suck at life:
baileypittstiffarmANGLE2.gif

And how about what I consider his most disgusting catch during his college career, for fun:
StedCatchOneHandedVsUL2011.gif

----

*IMO*, he's the best pure WR to come through WVU since Chris Henry. Though he's 4 inches shorter...but with more talent and toughness. He runs crisp routes. Has great, great hands. Gets separation like a boss. Has subtle high end speed (never saw him get caught from behind, ever). He's shorter than optimal. That's the only knock on him. But I don't care. He is incredibly talented. Y'all are going to be pleased with how he will surpass your expectations. How he fell to the third round (almost the 4th!) mystifies me. I know I'm biased as all hell, but there isn't a single damned receiver in the draft I want on my team over him. And that includes Tavon. All he does is get catches, gain yards, and score touchdowns.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
He's a beast... I love the toughness, also loving the Bailey Austin tagteam on KRs - I bet we see that in the horns :)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With proper coaching, he'll be able. He's built like a HB and has the strength of one to boot. Very physical, plays nasty(like Steve Smith of the Panthers) and is deceptively quick/fast.

He could beat the press in college. Obviously, NFL CBs are better. He'll need to learn to use his hands more efficiently but I don't see it being an issue at all. He made DBs pay when they pressed him in college.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
WVURxMan said:
Here he is making Pitt look stupid. Which is easy to do, because they suck at life
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: hilarious

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
WVURxMan may be my new fave poster....I <3 Stedman.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
WVURxMan said:
And how about what I consider his most disgusting catch during his college career, for fun:
StedCatchOneHandedVsUL2011.gif
I saw this catch in a Stedman highlight reel before the draft and instantly thought how sick it would be if we could get both Tavon and Stedman. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that would come true :)

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
I think stedman is going to suprise alot of rams fans who never really got to see him play. The kid has talent but the thing I like best is he never seems to settle hence his tweets asking past rams stars for next level help

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
The only thing I can imagine why he was a 3rd round pick is due to his route tree.

.hmmm just had an idea for a new post

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Once again, ROD to the core of the matter with a great question and amazing knowledge of Stedman. Now, that does not look like a guy I would want to mess with. What the hell he is doing having a name like "Stedman" because he is no "gentleman". We can thank Oprah for the nice guy name I guess, but he is a rude dude between the lines. Rams tough baby! :twisted:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
ljramsfan said:
The only thing I can imagine why he was a 3rd round pick is due to his route tree.

I think he went here, only because the WR value and depth were so high this year, which is the same reason why teams were able to draft S's throughout the draft. He, if he makes it, with his particular skill set, will be the most versatile WR on our team, IMO. What I mean by that, is that I think that he can play any position and run any route, and will also be a 3rd down go to, and red zone threat.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
DR RAM said:
ljramsfan said:

I think he went here, only because the WR value and depth were so high this year, which is the same reason why teams were able to draft S's throughout the draft. He, if he makes it, with his particular skill set, will be the most versatile WR on our team, IMO. What I mean by that, is that I think that he can play any position and run any route, and will also be a 3rd down go to, and red zone threat.

I have to think we will have Cook, Kendricks, Pettis, Quick, Austin, and Pead as legit Red Zone threats. I'm just not sure that is where he'll see a lot of action this season. I reserve the right to be totally wrong but I am really amped at the possibilities we have THIS season when we get inside the 20.

In fact, I am excited like no other time when it comes to our weapons all over the field. I don't know about the rest of you but the GSOT really snuck up on me. It took til about mid season that I really started to believe in the magic. "We will rally around Kurt...." I still think that was coach speak and optimism but.... Like I said, I reserve the right to be totally wrong. Obviously I was THEN.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:
ljramsfan said:

I have to think we will have Cook, Kendricks, Pettis, Quick, Austin, and Pead as legit Red Zone threats. I'm just not sure that is where he'll see a lot of action this season. I reserve the right to be totally wrong but I am really amped at the possibilities we have THIS season when we get inside the 20.

In fact, I am excited like no other time when it comes to our weapons all over the field. I don't know about the rest of you but the GSOT really snuck up on me. It took til about mid season that I really started to believe in the magic. "We will rally around Kurt...." I still think that was coach speak and optimism but.... Like I said, I reserve the right to be totally wrong. Obviously I was THEN.

We will rally around Kurt was a coach saying the right things while thinking oh shit oh shit I hope this works lol.

I think stedman will be more a possession/change of pace style receiver this first year but I will say I think he works his ass off and will,suprise everyone year 2

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:
ljramsfan said:

[hil]I have to think we will have Cook, Kendricks, Pettis, Quick, Austin, and Pead as legit Red Zone threats.[/hil] I'm just not sure that is where he'll see a lot of action this season. I reserve the right to be totally wrong but I am really amped at the possibilities we have THIS season when we get inside the 20.

I CAN"T AGREE MORE! And that's why I used all caps.

Bailey has a truly special ability, but his one special ability, his others are good, in catching the ball in traffic. That is why I liked him so much. That is why he will be a red zone threat. I don't know how much he will play, nobody does. But in terms of type of receiver, he is more Bruce/Gibson than Holt/Flipper. He's not as smooth as Bruce, but he is probably as fast, and he's better at plucking the ball, which is what Gibson was good at, but Bailey is a lot faster than Gibby.

Bailey had 25 TD's last year, 25, and averaged over 15 ypc over his career, almost 18 ypc as a junior. Pretty gaudy numbers, but you can see why when you watch him play.

I am not saying he will be our best, or #1 receiver, but I will stand by my claim that he will be the most versatile WR on our roster.