Can Jenkins Develop To Be On a Sherman/Peterson Level? Softli

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I really question if Peterson or Sherman are really that much better than guys like Haden, Grimes, Talib, etc. Neither has even come close to where Revis used to be prior to his injury.

Peterson has the potential to be, but he hasn't arrived yet. And while Sherman plays his role well, it seems to me that safety Earl Thomas saves his bacon quite a bit. Posters here get on Givens due to his lack of TDs, but even he has beaten Sherman twice for potential scores only have to Thomas catch him.

I concur, however, Sherman's big play catapulted his team to the Super Bowl and that's what everyone remembers. Will Joe Haden ever get that chance? Sherman also leads his team and gives them the swagger although Thomas is the linchpin to that secondary.

Dick84

I guess Alterraun Verner, Joe Haden, Brent Grimes, Vontae Davis aren't some of the best corners in the game and can't compare with those two. They just don't have the size.

Fair enough. But I'd take Sherman & Peterson over any of them. I'll take big & talented over not big and talented every day.

And I'm not talking Jenkins down. I think he can be very good.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Fair enough. But I'd take Sherman & Peterson over any of them. I'll take big & talented over not big and talented every day.

And I'm not talking Jenkins down. I think he can be very good.

No doubt I would take Sherman/Peterson over them. But it's not that big of a gap, and Jenkins has the potential to be on par with one of them. He's just as talented.

Dick84

No doubt I would take Sherman/Peterson over them. But it's not that big of a gap, and Jenkins has the potential to be on par with one of them. He's just as talented.

Maybe. Physically, he's gifted... But does he have the head for the game to become consistent? To master technique & scheme? That's where my biggest questions are.
He's not big... And I think listed bigger than he is... But he's fast and fluid and hits. I hope he gets his head right & Williams uses him right.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Maybe. Physically, he's gifted... But does he have the head for the game to become consistent? To master technique & scheme? That's where my biggest questions are.
He's not big... And I think listed bigger than he is... But he's fast and fluid and hits. I hope he gets his head right & Williams uses him right.

His size doesn't concern me. Mostly because I saw what he can do at the top of his game. For example, in 2013 against Brandon Marshall, Jenkins outmuscled Marshall for an INT (was called back thanks to Bonehead McGee). In 2013, he went up against Jimmy Graham and Marques Colston, two of the largest receivers in the game, in the end zone on jump balls. He got up there on both of them and deflected both throws.

Jimmy+Graham+New+Orleans+Saints+v+St+Louis+FjkBeHEsk4sl.jpg

52ae551f3e5d7.preview-620.jpg

Now, we know how bad his floor is. So if he can become more consistent, he could be one of the best corners.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Jenkins may not have the physique to ever be a PP or RS but he showed in his rookie season that he is definitely a player. I really believe that the way he was asked to play last year along with the decline of Finn did not suit his skills. He has very good instincts, can recover and cover well, and is a play maker. Let the kid play and I think we will all be plenty happy with him.

lockdnram21

Legend
Jenkins.png

i know this is blury but this is jenkins vs Marshall and would have been a interception if mcgee didnt get PI

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

we're talking about a guy that used to shut down wrs like ajgreen and julio jones in college. you just don't lose that kind of talent. williams should get the best out of him moving forward. i'm looking forward to many pick 6s coming his way.

Dick84

You guys may be right on Jenkins... I just need to see more.

That being said... I think he will be good enough for this defense.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can St. Louis Rams CB Janoris Jenkins rise to elite level of NFC West counterparts?
By Ted Bryant

http://cover32.com/rams/2014/05/26/...rise-to-elite-level-of-nfc-west-counterparts/

As it stands, the St. Louis Rams boast one of the youngest secondary units in the league. Cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson are each entering their third season, which makes them the veterans among the starting unit. It’s no secret that much of the Rams’ defensive success in 2014 will hinge on their continued development in year three.

On that note, former Rams defensive tackle D’Marco Farr and Rams insider Tony Softli discussed the chances of Jenkins reaching the same level as NFC West colleagues Patrick Peterson of the Cardinals and Richard Sherman of the Seahawks on 101 ESPN Radio on Friday. Here’s Softli’s take on the subject:

“I think that Janoris has that skillset. He showed it in his rookie year. I thought he should have been Rookie of the Year. Last year there was no pressure in the pocket. They couldn’t squeeze the pocket. They had (defensive end Robert) Quinn and (defensive end Chris) Long came from the outside but they couldn’t squeeze it from up the middle on a continuous basis. There wasn’t a lot of blitz packages. This year’s defense will look totally different. It’ll look like 2012 when (former defensive coordinator) Blake Williams was running it and it was just a shell of his dad’s defense. This one will have a lot of pressure in your face and force quarterbacks to either throw the ball away or bait them into throwing it up. Look for (cornerback Trumaine) Johnson and Janoris to have, I think, a pretty good year.”

While not directly answering the question, Softli does have a point regarding the Rams interior pressure. Starting defensive tackles Michael Brockers and Kendall Langford registered just eight and 16 quarterback pressures respectively in 2013, compared to the 97 combined from Quinn and Long. The addition of 13th overall pick Aaron Donald should provide that interior pressure and make life easier on Jenkins, Johnson, and Co.

Should Jenkins and Johnson stumble out of the gate, they’ll need all the pressure they can get to compensate. For the Rams’ sake, here’s hoping Jenkins plays more like this Sherman and less like this one.