Can Jenkins Develop To Be On a Sherman/Peterson Level? Softli

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Does Janoris Jenkins have the physical attributes to be a on a Richard Sherman/Patrick Peterson level? Tony Softli breaks it down. They also talk about Greg Robinson and what positions he may play over his career. Softli also talks about what positions have questionable depth: MLB and Safety. They also talk about how close the Rams are to the Seahawks.

Listen to Softli Talk Rams and Jenkins

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Related:
Patrick Peterson takes aim at Richard Sherman
When Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman signed his big-money contract, Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson was happy. Not for Sherman, but for himself.

In Peterson’s mind, he’s worth a lot more than Sherman’s $57.4 million package. In Peterson’s mind, Sherman isn’t a shutdown corner.

“[Y]ou put [Sherman] in our system, I don’t believe he would last,” Peterson told Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. “Obviously, his job is much easier than mine.”

How so?

“If you look at their scheme and you look at our scheme, he’s a Cover-3 corner, period,” Peterson said. “A lot of guys say he’s a shutdown corner, but if you look at film and guys who understand the game, go back and look at film and see how his defense is.

“I believe if you put him in our system, I don’t think he’d be able to last, honestly, because I’m asked to do much more than he is.”

That may not translate into a bigger contract for Peterson, if Peterson wants the contract now. The fact that he’s under contract for two more years makes it potentially harder for Peterson to get big money now. Maybe next year, not this year.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/22/patrick-peterson-takes-aim-at-richard-sherman/

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Chris Carter nailed it.
Mike & Mike radio with Chris Carter on Sherman vs P.Peterson.

Last edited:

Dick84

No, he doesn't. Just doesn't have the size.
Doesn't mean he can't be a very good corner.. I just don't think he touches those two.

V3

Hall of Fame
Can he be decent before we start asking whether he can be one of the best? He was one of the worst in the NFL last year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Doesn't mean he can't be a very good corner.. I just don't think he touches those two.

Exactly.

A very good CB is an exceptional result.

As far as PP vs RS... PP all the way. Not even close.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I wouldn't take either one of these greedy airheads. The best corner in the league is not the guy with the biggest salary or the biggest mouth. Give me a corner who is motivated by his love for the game and his commitment to his teammates/coaches and would rather take a lesser salary to see a solid team around him. That's a football player to me. These flashy corners might have huge egos but they are small people in comparison.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I hope the Cards have to pay PP a HUGE contract pretty soon ;) Tighten that belt AZ !

Wonderboy

Rookie

I agree. I hope he gets better this year. I think he is very good. But he has had a ton of penalties. I thought a lot of them were bogus, but they were penalties. If he can cut that out he has a chance to be a high end CB, but not THE elite player in the game.

SierraRam

Recreational User
He and Givens were the two biggest disappointments for me last year; both regressing after showing so much promise. I like what I've heard about Givens realizing his need to step up. Hopefully we get our wish and GW has JJ pressing and then using his speed to stick to receivers. No more 10 yard cushions!!

If a corner can't do the job with the D-line we have, see-ya! Next up

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't take either one of these greedy airheads. The best corner in the league is not the guy with the biggest salary or the biggest mouth. Give me a corner who is motivated by his love for the game and his commitment to his teammates/coaches and would rather take a lesser salary to see a solid team around him. That's a football player to me. These flashy corners might have huge egos but they are small people in comparison.

I would argue that the only reason that they are good is because they have huge egos. I played one game at CB in college. We were playing cover zero and I was on an island with the opposing teams best WR. (I'm am a SS/OLB type by nature.) Let's just say it didn't go too well. (It was the the first time I ever saw a post-corner route!) When you're a CB with no safety help over the top everyone sees when you make a mistake. When a DL makes a mistake only the coaches see it (and avid fans with instant replay). The point I'm trying to make is that it's a really hard position to play and you better damn well be confident in your abilities or it's going to go wrong - quickly.

Gotta have that swagger (and amazing athletic ability should you need to recover from a false step). ;)

He doesn't need to be, with our front 7 we can have an elite D with even an average pass D, continue with last year's BS and were screwed.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol ...how quick people are to jump ship on Janoris

I still believe he will be a top 5 corner

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay

I guess Alterraun Verner, Joe Haden, Brent Grimes, Vontae Davis aren't some of the best corners in the game and can't compare with those two. They just don't have the size.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I loved the cornerback duo of LeRoy Irvin and Jerry Grey. I hope the Rams corners could be as good if not better.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

Jenkins is a ball hawk who shined his rookie year when the CB's didn't play 7 yards back on third and short. Thanks Tim Walton.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think, with Williams Coaching him, Jenkins can return to playing like he did under Williams Son, in his rookie year and better. after-all he's just entering his 3rd year!!

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I really question if Peterson or Sherman are really that much better than guys like Haden, Grimes, Talib, etc. Neither has even come close to where Revis used to be prior to his injury.

Peterson has the potential to be, but he hasn't arrived yet. And while Sherman plays his role well, it seems to me that safety Earl Thomas saves his bacon quite a bit. Posters here get on Givens due to his lack of TDs, but even he has beaten Sherman twice for potential scores only have to Thomas catch him.