Can Fisher Get the Rams to 11+ Wins? ever?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really thought this was the year. I have been a big Jeff Fisher fan since he decided for the Rams over the Dolphins. The Big criticism has always been that he was a mediocre coach. I would always counter, "look at the division he played in" with the Titans vs the Peyton Manning Colts for years....When he landed with the Rams, I told myself, "look where he started..Previous administrations had drafted horribly and there were a lot of mediocre veterans brought in to fill spots" He dumped a lot of the team that first year, and so the youth movement was on.
The youngest team in like every year he's been here, and still slightly less than .500 for every year. I am tired. We have talent now, of that there is no doubt. Our defense is really good, and Gurley is maybe the best RB in the NFL, but our Oline is too young and inexperienced ..Our QB is ok, but is getting killed by the Oline...Quick is a bust. Britt is ok. Austin is a great gadget guy. Bailey is a pot head. Now our great hope is a perrenially concussed WR named Wes Welker (REALLY?).

It probably won't happen, because Kroenke doesn't seem to fire HC's before their contract is up, but Fisher would be on the hotseat in any one of 31 other NFL teams....Without a winning record this year, Fisher should be replaced..JMHO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep. I am going to believe we're doing it this year until proven otherwise (i.e. we have 6 losses).

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No... Not enough disiplne , and you actually have to score a few points to win 11 games .

Memphis Ram

Legend
My question isn't can Fisher get the Rams to 11 wins. He isn't on the field.
My question is can Foles get the Rams to 11 wins? And to date, I'm having my doubts.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
only a couple things really aggravate me about him and I guess Snead is part of this too. Oline situation right now never should've fucking happened. rookies backing up more rookies are you serious? and the lack of discipline is down right embarrassing at this point. and I never liked Foles I knew he wasn't gonna be good but I don't blame them for the trade but handing him an extension before he even played a down?? just stupid I'm just gonna do what Fisher does before every game. pop a Xanax and sit back and watch the circus

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My question isn't can Fisher get the Rams to 11 wins. He isn't on the field.
My question is can Foles get the Rams to 11 wins? And to date, I'm having my doubts.
ultimately, Snead & Fisher are responsible for the product on the field..THEY decided to work on the Oline this late, loading it with rookie and 1st year players (or those with very limited experience) and one veteran with a history of injuries. Foles is what he is. He is a game manager getting killed by a an Oline that can't pass protect worth a d@mn, and when he isn't getting killed or handing off to Gurley and Austin, he has WR's that aren't that good.....

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
only a couple things really aggravate me about him and I guess Snead is part of this too. Oline situation right now never should've freaking happened. rookies backing up more rookies are you serious? and the lack of discipline is down right embarrassing at this point. and I never liked Foles I knew he wasn't gonna be good but I don't blame them for the trade but handing him an extension before he even played a down?? just stupid I'm just gonna do what Fisher does before every game. pop a Xanax and sit back and watch the circus

Just curious, but what would you have done instead? I'm not trying to attack you. Just curious. Free agent signings for them have not worked with Wells, Long, Brown, Dahl, Joseph, and now I guess Saffold since he got hurt again. Smith (different regime I know) was a bust pick. Robinson is yet to be determined. I'm upset with how they've handled the offense as a whole with not having any positions solidified outside of running back.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I guess you can't fault this regime for the line problems. Its not like they haven't tried. They threw money at Long who was once a premier tackle and Wells who was once a premier center. They signed Saffold who could be a premier guard. They drafted Robinson with the overall number two pick. They drafted a ton of linemen in this year's draft. They definitely made an legit attempt to get better there.

The problem is with the guys they drafted or signed. They just haven't worked out for one reason or another. If you want to fault them for the problems you can say they failed in their evaluations of these guys. They didn't realize Long and Wells were past their primes and injury prone. They shoulda known Saffold was an IR candidate waiting to happen. They failed in their evaluation of Robinson and his ability to adjust to the next level.

Was it bad luck or poor planning?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess you can't fault this regime for the line problems. Its not like they haven't tried. They threw money at Long who was once a premier tackle and Wells who was once a premier center. They signed Saffold who could be a premier guard. They drafted Robinson with the overall number two pick. They drafted a ton of linemen in this year's draft. They definitely made an legit attempt to get better there.

The problem is with the guys they drafted or signed. They just haven't worked out for one reason or another. If you want to fault them for the problems you can say they failed in their evaluations of these guys. They didn't realize Long and Wells were past their primes and injury prone. They shoulda known Saffold was an IR candidate waiting to happen. They failed in their evaluation of Robinson and his ability to adjust to the next level.

Was it bad luck or poor planning?
I do fault Snead/Fisher for Wells and Long. We got Wells and he immediately had surgery before ever playing a snap for us. Long's ability had lessened before his injury/surgery. This regime has had a tendency to bet on (and lose) on players recovering from surgery : Barret Jones, Long, Jones, Bradford, Saffold......
I don't fault them for Robinson. He has supreme athletic talent, just don't know how smart he is.....Still hoping about him...I do count Gurley as a win (betting on a player recovering from surgery), still crossing my fingers about him..

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My only concern with this team is the offense and Fisher's ability to figure it out. It's been 4yrs of bottom dwelling on that side of the ball. That's on him.

That said; I like the idea of Fisher being our HC for 10 more years. That type of consistency at the leadership level would be awesome.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
We are all concerned about the lack of discipline and execution. The coaches, including Fisher have to be held accountable, on some level.
That said, you have to have better all around play from your key players and more importantly from your QB.

I don't think a new coach makes Foles not overthrow his receivers by 5 yards or make said receivers catch the ball any better.

At the end of the day players are the ones who play, not the coaches.

EDIT: I will add that the talent they drafted along the OL is not who I or most of us would have drafted. I think there were better options at every spot. So from that standpoint perhaps you can say Fisher has failed. But he has also hit some gosh darn home runs as well.
I mean, not every coach or GM would of taken Aaron Donald or Todd Gurley with the picks we had. And those two could be future HOF's..

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
In fairness to Snisher re: the offensive line. Nobody saw Jake Long's ACL tear coming. Nor could they have predicted it, in my opinion. And prior to his knee injury Long was doing very well for us at LT.

Perhaps even more important than Long's strong play at LT itself was that it allowed Robinson play LG. And G-Rob was looking pretty darn good there. It might actually be his proper position at the NFL level. Either way, Long's career ending early due to injury blew up what I think was Snisher's plan for the offensive line -> to have Robinson get a few years of NFL experience before playing him at LT. The latter is the hardest-non-QB-position to play in this league. Let's not forget Robinson is the same age as Havenstein, so GRob is still quite young. Plus, Greg came from a college offense that was light years behind what NFL teams run.

I was not a fan of the Wells signing. I think his decline was foreseeable. By contrast, I thought Long still had plenty of really good years left in him. He was not far removed from being among the best LTs in the game. But it's very possible I was wrong about Jake and should have known better.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
For Fisher to get 11 wins the Rams need to beat 5 bad teams (CHI, BAL, DET, TB and SF), then go 2 of 3 against CIN, AZ and SEA (two teams they already beat). Tough, maybe, and probably unlikely, but not exactly mission impossible. If they choke against 1 of the bad teams and only win 1 of 3 of the tough games, they still finish 9-7. Fisher's got a lot of job security left in the remaining schedule, but yeah if they blow this I may be right there with you, just not yet.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
For Fisher to get 11 wins the Rams need to beat 5 bad teams (CHI, BAL, DET, TB and SF), then go 2 of 3 against CIN, AZ and SEA (two teams they already beat). Tough, maybe, and probably unlikely, but not exactly mission impossible. If they choke against 1 of the bad teams and only win 1 of 3 of the tough games, they still finish 9-7. Fisher's got a lot of job security left in the remaining schedule, but yeah if they blow this I may be right there with you, just not yet.

I like looking at wins in groups.

Bears, Ravens, Bengals, Cards

Lions, Bucs, Seahawks, 49'ers

If we can go 3-1 in the first group, 3-1 seems doable in the 2nd group. That would be 10-6.

Let's get the next 2. Then I like our chances.

I'll go a step further: we win the next 2... I think we upset the Bengals. :sneaky:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Sadly, the short answer is that 11 wins now looks extremely doubtful. It would require winning 7 of the next 8 games.

You tell me. Does that seem likely to you?

Moreover, our O shortcomings are scarcely identified, much less addressed.

Our QB is looking real iffy.
Our OL was abused by the Vikes.
Our TE's and WR's (other than Austin) look like window dressing.
We don't see, much less throw to open receivers.
We have one of the highest drop rates in the league.
We may have the best RB in the league and yet can't consistently give him holes when it's needed.
We scored a whopping 3 points vs Vikes in the 2nd half in a game with playoff implications.

Am I missing anything?

I can't put into words the depth of my frustration and disgust...

We have a SB caliber D and ST unit, and a Pop Warner passing O.

Reminds me of that famous Casey Stengel line while managing the expansion Mets. "Can't anybody here play this game"?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Sadly, the short answer is that 11 wins now looks extremely doubtful. It would require winning 7 of the next 8 games.

You tell me. Does that seem likely to you?

Moreover, our O shortcomings are scarcely identified, much less addressed.

Our QB is looking real iffy.
Our OL was abused by the Vikes.
Our TE's and WR's (other than Austin) look like window dressing.
We don't see, much less throw to open receivers.
We have one of the highest drop rates in the league.
We may have the best RB in the league and yet can't consistently give him holes when it's needed.
We scored a whopping 3 points vs Vikes in the 2nd half in a game with playoff implications.

Am I missing anything?

I can't put into words the depth of my frustration and disgust...

We have a SB caliber D and ST unit, and a Pop Warner passing O.

Reminds me of that famous Casey Stengel line while managing the expansion Mets. "Can't anybody here play this game"?

I am pretty down on the O, too. But, win this week and we're 5-4. Win the next and we're 6-4. If the offense plays a big role in that happening, we're suddenly seeing things differently.

Let's get the win this week and go from there.

That's the thing with the NFL... A week or two changes everything.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
My only concern with this team is the offense and Fisher's ability to figure it out. It's been 4yrs of bottom dwelling on that side of the ball. That's on him.

That said; I like the idea of Fisher being our HC for 10 more years. That type of consistency at the leadership level would be awesome.

You had me with the fist sentence and lost me with the second. :confused: