Can Fisher Get the Rams to 11+ Wins? ever?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
You had me with the fist sentence and lost me with the second. :confused:

:LOL:

What I mean is; I think he's a good leader of men. Guys like playing for him and he manages troubled players well.

As a leader, he checks all the boxes.

If he can figure out the offense... we got our Bill Cowher.

Memphis Ram

Legend
ultimately, Snead & Fisher are responsible for the product on the field..THEY decided to work on the Oline this late, loading it with rookie and 1st year players (or those with very limited experience) and one veteran with a history of injuries. Foles is what he is. He is a game manager getting killed by a an Oline that can't pass protect worth a d@mn, and when he isn't getting killed or handing off to Gurley and Austin, he has WR's that aren't that good.....

Decided to work on the OLine late? They had Saffold, added Barksdale and had the organization pay top dollar for guys like Long and Wells. Guys got injured or overpriced themselves. It happens. They could have gone the veteran route again and failed like they did the first time. And the WRs are good enough, IMO. Foles has just got to do a better job of getting the ball to them.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Decided to work on the OLine late? They had Saffold, added Barksdale and had the organization pay top dollar for guys like Long and Wells. Guys got injured or overpriced themselves. It happens. They could have gone the veteran route again and failed like they did the first time. And the WRs are good enough, IMO. Foles has just got to do a better job of getting the ball to them.

I haven't looked up any stats, but from just watching the games it seemed to me Foles actually had better protection after the buy than he had before the bye. Yet, he still can't make plays. A lot of 3 and outs. A lot of kicks. We seem to start the game with a 3 and out and start the second half with 3 and out almost every time. Its like he can't see things he should downfield. I hope he gets better at it, but I fear the Nick Foles we see now is the Nick Foles we're going to have. He is who he is. About as good as its going to get.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
No
The real question should be can he get the Rams a Superbowl win.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
I haven't looked up any stats, but from just watching the games it seemed to me Foles actually had better protection after the buy than he had before the bye. Yet, he still can't make plays. A lot of 3 and outs. A lot of kicks. We seem to start the game with a 3 and out and start the second half with 3 and out almost every time. Its like he can't see things he should downfield. I hope he gets better at it, but I fear the Nick Foles we see now is the Nick Foles we're going to have. He is who he is. About as good as its going to get.

This is said perfectly. Alot of out woes on offense are directly attributed to Nick foles. Yes our oline is young and making mistakes but foles isn't doing anything to make due when they do hold up.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Foles looked good in the first part of the season but I'm afraid that he's getting Bulgerized by our wildly inconsistent OL and Wrs. Who in the hell is supposed to be coaching the line?
And why can't Fisher get the penalties under control? They just keep shooting themselves in the feet!:headexplosion:

RamWoodie

Legend
I'm still so angry about the Vikings game and the offensive series they ran in overtime I'm just gonna chill until Sunday.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
LOL....

With that chuckle, one game at a time grasshoppers.....one game at a time....:homercrawl:

fearsomefour

Legend
I guess you can't fault this regime for the line problems. Its not like they haven't tried. They threw money at Long who was once a premier tackle and Wells who was once a premier center. They signed Saffold who could be a premier guard. They drafted Robinson with the overall number two pick. They drafted a ton of linemen in this year's draft. They definitely made an legit attempt to get better there.

The problem is with the guys they drafted or signed. They just haven't worked out for one reason or another. If you want to fault them for the problems you can say they failed in their evaluations of these guys. They didn't realize Long and Wells were past their primes and injury prone. They shoulda known Saffold was an IR candidate waiting to happen. They failed in their evaluation of Robinson and his ability to adjust to the next level.

Was it bad luck or poor planning?
Bad luck.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I should have slightly said it differently...They should have decided to work on the Oline effectively earlier..Free Agent signings of formerly good players recovering from injury is always a risk..Hell, in Wells, case, we signed him first and THEN he had surgery WTF!!!! (never got that).....Drafting good rookies is the right way, and thats not what we did..As for Foles, how in the $%^# can he pass when the guys on the line can't stop the pass rush?

ohiorams

Rookie
you thought this was a year for what ?

until a team has a QB that everyone knows is good and that teams highlights are the first 2 or three shown every week because you are winning. That team is just another team playing spoiler for the big guys. The Rams may well make the playoffs but just for a week of amusement and thats it.

Trent Dilfer would be an upgrade

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I would love to see Fisher let the OC take control of the Offensive side of the ball, give him a bit more freedom and the same goes for the QB - I know he's the HC, but I just feel sometimes that he's too controlling and smothering for the offense to handle.

I hope he's worked out how to beat Chicago, I hope our D-line is back to full strength and I hope Welker can contribute on third downs, heck I hope we don't need to worry about third downs because I want the chains moved before we get that far ;)

Memphis Ram

Legend
I should have slightly said it differently...They should have decided to work on the Oline effectively earlier..Free Agent signings of formerly good players recovering from injury is always a risk..Hell, in Wells, case, we signed him first and THEN he had surgery WTF!!!! (never got that).....Drafting good rookies is the right way, and thats not what we did..As for Foles, how in the $%^# can he pass when the guys on the line can't stop the pass rush?

As I recall, Wells didn't seem to have much in the way of injury issues as far as missing games, until he joined the Rams.

Either way, while the OLine strategy may have been a risk, they couldn't fill all holes at once. Earlier draft choices on OLinemen probably would have cost them defenders who are playing a role in making the defense pretty good today, thus shifting the deficiency and thus complaints I guess.

And sorry, but we must not be watching the same games because with the exception of the Packers game, while the protection hasn't consistently been good (and no QB enjoys such luxury), Foles has had time to make plays but simply has not. He's locking in on one (maybe two targets at best) and missing guys that have been open. His accuracy has been questionable at best. And the WRs who beat defenders deep typically have to wait for his downfield floater to finally get to them. And OMG, has he thrown someone open or hit a timing route yet?

I'm hoping for improvement for all on offense, but the real key is Foles. It's just the nature of the position.

Last edited:

Schmitzer

UDFA
If he can figure out the offense... we got our Bill Cowher

That's the problem - he needs to be a Vermeil-esque CEO type of head coach, whose job is to find the best coaching staffs and hand off responsibility to them. I think he has too much influence on the game plan the offense runs. He has largely been unsuccessful doing this.

Hire the best coordinator you can and then get the best coaches surrounding them. Then work on personnel.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
So many puzzling things about our struggling passing attack...

For example, why are we largely ignoring the middle of the field? Beat writers, pundits, and numerous fans have pointed that out. Yet, it continues to be overlooked.

Is it a Cigs blind spot?

We have no receivers willing to go over the middle?

Or what?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I see us getting to 10-6 easily, but 11+ will be a little harder!!

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
:LOL:

What I mean is; I think he's a good leader of men. Guys like playing for him and he manages troubled players well.

As a leader, he checks all the boxes.

If he can figure out the offense... we got our Bill Cowher.

He (is) a good leader of men and indeed a players coach. But sometimes being a players coach has its draw backs. Too often I hear Fisher "discounting", or making excuses for this penalty or that, this mistake or that. We hear how penalties (as an example) need to be corrected or how they're working on it (2 yrs and counting). And yet, what are the results? Is the offense any better? Is there improvement regarding penalties? After 4 years, is this team scoring more points per game? How about the 3rd down conversions? This team is loaded with talent and yet (it) can't convert 3rd downs even at a below average rate. I just think this team needs better discipline and focus (not to mention execution) and that sometimes a "players coach" may be lacking in that area for numerous reasons.

I've often stated that Fisher was an excellent choice to bring this team back to some form of respectability and make them competitive. But a good body of work and history strongly suggests Fisher isn't what this team needs to get them to the next level. This team appears stuck in mediocrity and improving at a snails pace. Consider what two other teams have done recently in our division and in substantially shorter periods of time....or is this team being built for the latter part of 21st century?

RamWoodie

Legend
As for Foles, how in the $%^# can he pass when the guys on the line can't stop the pass rush?
Let me say this on that:
I like Foles, but I'm noticing that Foles doesn't read where to go with the ball very well. I was at the SF game and I noticed it. The only thing I'm not sure of is who was his first option.

Also, I'm still not sure what liberty Foles has when it comes to changing plays..so I won't act as if I know what's up. Fisher is very guarded with these type things too.

I'll be in the ED for the Cards game Dec 6th...I hope the Ram offense will be much better by then.