Camp Report Monday July 30 Bubbaramfan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
@bubbaramfan posted this report in the camp day thread. I was a little concerned it might not get the exposure it needs so I'm copying it and posting it here for him.

Mods, if you feel the need to delete due to duplication, please do.

It's a very good write-up of today's activities. Enjoy.

bubbaramfan TC report 7-30-18

Howdy folks! Let me preface this report by letting you all know I have no background in journalism and am a Neanderthal and self taught on computers. Please forgive mis-spellings, bad sentence structure and punctuation.

Great day at Irvine, upper 80's and not a very large crowd. Hooked up with VetRamFan, had a beer (and no more) and sat on the south side of 2nd field. half way through Elvis from RamsFans United joined us. The team came out and stretched for about 15 min. then boke off into groups. OL and DL on south end of field 1 away from our vision. We had Coach Fassell and ST doing punts and kickoff coverage in front of us. Lots of players, mostly bottom tier, interchanging reps. Hekker focusing on directional punts, Cooper, Fred Brown and Kendal Thompson stayed back to field punts.
Most punters keep both hands on the ball until the foot comes up and hits it. Hekker is unusual in that he releases the ball from his grip about shoulder height, letting drop, putting either back or forward spin on the bal lwith his hands before it hits his foot, giving the ball direction when it comes down on the field. Was fun to watch him do this in practice.

Whistle at 15 min and group rotation. We get LB's for tip drills. One coach throw a ball about 10yds, another then tips in up, and players then try and recover while the other set up return. good drill.

whistle rotation. TE's and RB's short passes over middle w/ no D from #9 Perez #86 Mitchell is slow. Hemingway and Everrett quickest. Higbee biggest.

Whistle, rotation. 11 on 11. 1st team OL Whitworth, Saffold, Sullivan, (yes, Sullivan is OK and took a lot of snaps today), Brown and Havenstien. Gurley, Goff. WR's alternated between Woods, Cooks, Kupp, Reynolds, Cooper and Thompson. Defense 1st team rotated a lot of players in and out, with Bockers and Suh getting snaps at first then being pulled and Westbrooks, Joseph-Day and Omairus Bryant getting work with the ones. I saw a lot of switching around and different guys getting reps at different positions. Trevon Young, and John Franklin Myers saw a lot of work at DE. Franklin-Myers impressed me. He is quick off the snap and gets around the edge. Mixed up the LB's but Littleton, Hagar and Ebukam played with the ones.
Good pass rush but Goff gets the ball out quick. Good timing with wr's. Gurley is fast. Several deep balls Cooks got a TD, Reynolds dropping balls, at least three he should have caught. Thompson never even got a look.
Woods clearly the best WR today.

2nd team 11 on 11 started off with an OL of Demby LT, Noteboom LG (next play they switched and continued switching for several plays), Blythe C, (several plays , then Allen), Neary, Womac LG, and Corneilius Lucas at RT. Lucas played exclusively at RT. I didn't see anyone else but Hav and Lucas at RT. I don't think D Williams dressed, injury? Demby, Noteboom and Lucas looked to hold their own. Allen at QB, Brown, Davis and Kelly rotating snaps. Brown looks leaner and caught pass out of backfield, Davis has good lateral movement and is quick, but Kelly is fast and fights through traffic, got a TD. Going to be a battle between Davis and Kelly. TE's Higbee, Everett and Hemmingway all took snaps with ones. All got targets and all had receptions. Higbee a drop he should have had.

DB's Peters and Talib are the real deal. Great competition with WR's. they feed off each other. Hill and Peterson looked very good. Peterson getting in and getting his hands on the ball had an INT.

LB's, I think every one of them get in with ones or twos. this is getting sorted out still. Longacre got reps and then got sat. He looks fine.
11 on 11 over 40 minutes

Whistle, group rotation. 2minute drill. they did this in a kind of slow motion, with McVay jumping around on the field yelling instructions and pointing at people. , Clearly trying to get something across. Wished I could have heard what he was saying.

whistle, rotation. FG attempts with a D rush. I think this was a first for TC and Zuelien. Ball snapped at 35, making it a 45-7 yd FG attempt. GGreg nails the 1st three, putting the ball on the roof of the endzone bleachers. Greg's back is "back".

Whistle rotation. We didn't get to see much of the OL or DL. they were on the other field furthest from our view. We walked around to the endzone where McVay was in serious teaching mode of Goff, Allen QB, Kupp, Cooks, Woods and Gurley. He had Goff and Allen taking long snaps and getting it out of their hands as fast as possible, flinging it sidearm to one of the four. Curious drill.

That's all for now from my notes. There will be much more and VetRamFan and I decided we get more out by posting back and forth. Vet and I can't remember everything, but by posting we remember bits and pieces later so I'll be adding more later as it comes to me.

They have an off day tomorrow, and I intend to go again on Wednesday.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll echo some of the same observation from @bubbaramfan .

Let say again that John Kelly is quick, shifty and fun to watch. He took a handoff from Allen (yes Allen, not Perez) went of the right side and sliced his way to a possible touchdown. Nice change of pace back.

GZ had no issues with his FG's and having the defense rushing in.

I feel that our O-line depth will be just fine. Noteboom and Demby are looking very good. I even think Noteboom has more athleticism than Hav. He and Dempy have both played both guard and tackle positions.

Cooks beat Peters on a go route along the left sideline. Goff missed on the throw of what would have been a sure TD. Cooks is a great add! Peters is no slouch but Cooks made a move that caused Peters to stutter step. That's all she wrote.

Due to our seating location, it was hard to tell who was in at LB. Plus some of the guys like to roll up their jersey at the waist and that obscures their number.

Bubba had an interesting observation. He felt that Wade and Sean have a trick up their sleeve with regards to the defense. Three down lineman, two middle linebackers and six DB's. Interesting take. He feels we will be playing with a lead, forcing the opposition to pass more, hence the six DB's.

I think our TE group needs some work on routes and catching in traffic. Their blocking looks sound. Check out my pics from today. You'll see what I mean by their blocking seems sound.

More to follow when it comes to me.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
thx bro for the post move. wasn't sure I should start my own thread.

Couple of things to add.

No Injuries!

As I told VRF,I have a sneaking suspicion Wade now has the personel to implement something different than the standard 3-4. We have already seen last season Wade use 5 on the line, 2 MLB, and 2 CB's, 2 slot and 2 safties. Sam Sheilds (got his first full pad contact in 2 year today)and Roby-Coleman would fit the 2 in the slot. rams get and early lead and forcer teams to throw the ball, Wade will put this in. Just a hunch.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Refused to read because of poor sentence structure, and obvious lack of formal journalistic training. :hiding:

Heck of a job from both of you guys! Great detail, and you both paint an excellent picture! (For what it’s worth from someone WITH formal journalism training. I knew I should have taken Gender Studies. :unsure: )

Thanks for being there for us!

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
@bubbaramfan posted this report in the camp day thread. I was a little concerned it might not get the exposure it needs so I'm copying it and posting it here for him.

Mods, if you feel the need to delete due to duplication, please do.

It's a very good write-up of today's activities. Enjoy.

bubbaramfan TC report 7-30-18

Howdy folks! Let me preface this report by letting you all know I have no background in journalism and am a Neanderthal and self taught on computers. Please forgive mis-spellings, bad sentence structure and punctuation.

Great day at Irvine, upper 80's and not a very large crowd. Hooked up with VetRamFan, had a beer (and no more) and sat on the south side of 2nd field. half way through Elvis from RamsFans United joined us. The team came out and stretched for about 15 min. then boke off into groups. OL and DL on south end of field 1 away from our vision. We had Coach Fassell and ST doing punts and kickoff coverage in front of us. Lots of players, mostly bottom tier, interchanging reps. Hekker focusing on directional punts, Cooper, Fred Brown and Kendal Thompson stayed back to field punts.
Most punters keep both hands on the ball until the foot comes up and hits it. Hekker is unusual in that he releases the ball from his grip about shoulder height, letting drop, putting either back or forward spin on the bal lwith his hands before it hits his foot, giving the ball direction when it comes down on the field. Was fun to watch him do this in practice.

Whistle at 15 min and group rotation. We get LB's for tip drills. One coach throw a ball about 10yds, another then tips in up, and players then try and recover while the other set up return. good drill.

whistle rotation. TE's and RB's short passes over middle w/ no D from #9 Perez #86 Mitchell is slow. Hemingway and Everrett quickest. Higbee biggest.

Whistle, rotation. 11 on 11. 1st team OL Whitworth, Saffold, Sullivan, (yes, Sullivan is OK and took a lot of snaps today), Brown and Havenstien. Gurley, Goff. WR's alternated between Woods, Cooks, Kupp, Reynolds, Cooper and Thompson. Defense 1st team rotated a lot of players in and out, with Bockers and Suh getting snaps at first then being pulled and Westbrooks, Joseph-Day and Omairus Bryant getting work with the ones. I saw a lot of switching around and different guys getting reps at different positions. Trevon Young, and John Franklin Myers saw a lot of work at DE. Franklin-Myers impressed me. He is quick off the snap and gets around the edge. Mixed up the LB's but Littleton, Hagar and Ebukam played with the ones.
Good pass rush but Goff gets the ball out quick. Good timing with wr's. Gurley is fast. Several deep balls Cooks got a TD, Reynolds dropping balls, at least three he should have caught. Thompson never even got a look.
Woods clearly the best WR today.

2nd team 11 on 11 started off with an OL of Demby LT, Noteboom LG (next play they switched and continued switching for several plays), Blythe C, (several plays , then Allen), Neary, Womac LG, and Corneilius Lucas at RT. Lucas played exclusively at RT. I didn't see anyone else but Hav and Lucas at RT. I don't think D Williams dressed, injury? Demby, Noteboom and Lucas looked to hold their own. Allen at QB, Brown, Davis and Kelly rotating snaps. Brown looks leaner and caught pass out of backfield, Davis has good lateral movement and is quick, but Kelly is fast and fights through traffic, got a TD. Going to be a battle between Davis and Kelly. TE's Higbee, Everett and Hemmingway all took snaps with ones. All got targets and all had receptions. Higbee a drop he should have had.

DB's Peters and Talib are the real deal. Great competition with WR's. they feed off each other. Hill and Peterson looked very good. Peterson getting in and getting his hands on the ball had an INT.

LB's, I think every one of them get in with ones or twos. this is getting sorted out still. Longacre got reps and then got sat. He looks fine.
11 on 11 over 40 minutes

Whistle, group rotation. 2minute drill. they did this in a kind of slow motion, with McVay jumping around on the field yelling instructions and pointing at people. , Clearly trying to get something across. Wished I could have heard what he was saying.

whistle, rotation. FG attempts with a D rush. I think this was a first for TC and Zuelien. Ball snapped at 35, making it a 45-7 yd FG attempt. GGreg nails the 1st three, putting the ball on the roof of the endzone bleachers. Greg's back is "back".

Whistle rotation. We didn't get to see much of the OL or DL. they were on the other field furthest from our view. We walked around to the endzone where McVay was in serious teaching mode of Goff, Allen QB, Kupp, Cooks, Woods and Gurley. He had Goff and Allen taking long snaps and getting it out of their hands as fast as possible, flinging it sidearm to one of the four. Curious drill.

That's all for now from my notes. There will be much more and VetRamFan and I decided we get more out by posting back and forth. Vet and I can't remember everything, but by posting we remember bits and pieces later so I'll be adding more later as it comes to me.

They have an off day tomorrow, and I intend to go again on Wednesday.
It's ok to be a Neanderthal. They had bigger brains and tougher bodies than we do, and had a longer run at the top than we have had so far.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's ok to be a Neanderthal. They had bigger brains and tougher bodies than we do, and had a longer run at the top than we have had so far.
Some of their DNA is found in humans today....Mostly in Carson and go by the name of Bubba.. (just messin' Bubba!:cheers:

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let say again that John Kelly is quick, shifty and fun to watch. He took a handoff from Allen (yes Allen, not Perez) went of the right side and sliced his way to a possible touchdown. Nice change of pace back.

I think our TE group needs some work on routes and catching in traffic. Their blocking looks sound. Check out my pics from today. You'll see what I mean by their blocking seems sound.

Excited to see the possibility of Gurley having a more impactful back up. John Kelly sounds like a baller.

The TE group not being productive on routes/catching....and "Higbee (had) a drop he should have had." are becoming all too common reads. We'd be a damn scary offense if we can get a a TE to deliver the goods.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Leg4, Goff's confidence is noticeable. He clearly looks comfortable with what he's doing.

I'd like to say again my reports are for those Ram Fans who can't be at TC. The years they spent in St. Louis I had to rely on the folks there that attended TC to post reports. The Rev, Coach O and others. Now I have the opportunity to return the favor. Hopefully some of those folks that were jaded by the move back to LA will again become Rams Fans.

Attending practice again on Wednesday and will pay more attention to OL, DL and LB's.

ztoben

Professional NFL Couch Analyst
Name
ztoben
Sounds like they are favoring Allen over Mannion for the backup spot?

ztoben

Professional NFL Couch Analyst
Name
ztoben
Hopefully some of those folks that were jaded by the move back to LA will again become Rams Fans.

Quite a few of the ones I knew have changed their tone after last season. Most of them will come around eventually.

Ramit

ROD GRUNT
Leg4, Goff's confidence is noticeable. He clearly looks comfortable with what he's doing.

I'd like to say again my reports are for those Ram Fans who can't be at TC. The years they spent in St. Louis I had to rely on the folks there that attended TC to post reports. The Rev, Coach O and others. Now I have the opportunity to return the favor. Hopefully some of those folks that were jaded by the move back to LA will again become Rams Fans.

Attending practice again on Wednesday and will pay more attention to OL, DL and LB's.

As a SEMO fan I can tell you that it is truly appreciated brother. I wish I could be there to see it. The best I can ever hope for is to see them at the chiefs or at the titans. That's as close as it gets for me. So to read your reports and see the pictures? It means a lot.

rafa

Starter
Name
Rafael
Great job guys, much appreciated
Can you tell how Eldrenkamp # 60 (C) and Brian Womac # 62 (DE) are doing? I'm rooting for them. And do not forget the beers, it's important to stay hydrated! :cheers:

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
Quite a few of the ones I knew have changed their tone after last season. Most of them will come around eventually.

Ironically the same thing happened when the team moved to Missouri.

I know a few LA Rams fans that got back to Rams Fandom when they did well in 1999. By the end of that season they were full on. Winning the SB locked them back in.

It kind of human nature I imagine.

And great job on the report Bubba and Vet!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
For both Bubba and Vet...

You two are now my camp report co-MVP’s.

Much prefer your reports to those of the “professionals”.

Please keep ‘em coming as often as possible. They’re priceless.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For both Bubba and Vet...

You two are now my camp report co-MVP’s.

Much prefer your reports to those of the “professionals”.

Please keep ‘em coming as often as possible. They’re priceless.
Thanks @Rams43. Based on your postings, which are things of beauty I might add, this means a lot coming from you.