CAMP REPORT Camp Report: Day 1

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
I think @rdlkgliders needs to take vacation from work and get his ass to camp and report back!

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Thank you bubbaramfan, you've already answered one very important question for me, that being Brockers' size & quickness following his weight loss last season after the Suh acquisition. We'll need Brockers back in his 2017 form.
I'm not surprised at the comments on Gaines appearing slower, rookies often have a big adjustment with NFL speed. I'll save my worrying over him until later into camp. Nice to hear that both JFM & SJD looked good today also.

Thanks for the observations from all 3 of you, ... and continue having a great time of it.
Rams Insider D'Marco Farr said Gaines looked powerful and explosive.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Looks like the SJD hype is real!!!!!!

Can't wait to hear reports when the pads are on. Having him and Gaines competing will make them both better. It may not matter who starts as they both will get playing time. I expect them to play well against the run but, looking to see who can also push the pocket against the pass. I've been on the SJD bandwagon since the spring. His quick get off and increased strength could make him a force in the middle.
Hopefully it means we will have a solid DL rotation. Be great to keep guys fresher , like we are with Gurley, so they can be good deep into the season.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
4 takeaways from Rams' first practice of training camp
usatsi_12829604.jpg

By: Cameron DaSilva | 16 hours ago

The Rams opened training camp on Saturday afternoon for their first practice, which was open to the public. Here’s what we learned from the action.

Todd Gurley and Cooper Kupp are off to strong starts
Both Gurley and Kupp were on the field for practice on Saturday, going through individual drills to begin the day before also taking part in 11-on-11 sessions. They weren’t necessarily out there the entire time, but it’s a positive development that they were practicing in any capacity to kick off camp.

Sean McVay said in his press conference that the Rams will hold Gurley out of certain practices and they have a plan for Kupp, too, so the team is going to be cautious. But simply seeing Gurley catch a pass and take a handoff is a big plus.

Sebastian Joseph-Day has the early edge at NT
Greg Gaines may have been drafted with the goal of him being the starting nose tackle in base defense, but that may not be the case right now. On the first day of practice, Joseph-Day got first-team reps at nose tackle.

This isn’t bad news for Gaines because after all, he is a rookie, but it does show the Rams like what they have in Joseph-Day. The second-year player has big shoes to fill with Ndamukong Suh no longer in the picture.

Rams will be creative with Gurley and Henderson
Darrell Henderson will be more than just a running back for the Rams. He’s going to contribute as a runner, receiver and potentially a return man as the Rams try to figure out how he fits best. We got a glimpse into their plan on Saturday when they put Gurley and Henderson on the field together.

According to Vincent Bonsignore of The Athletic, they both lined up at wide receiver at one point.

As for the pecking order in the backfield, that’s still a work in progress. John Kelly and Malcolm Brown also got first-team reps, as did Gurley and Henderson.

As camp goes on, the depth chart should become clearer. The tightest battle will be between Brown and Henderson for RB2.

Rams fans are thrilled to have Aaron Donald at camp
Donald is at his first training camp since 2016 after skipping it the last two years during his lengthy holdout. As a result, fans haven’t seen him practice firsthand in quite a while. They were excited to see No. 99 on the field Saturday, greeting him with cheers to begin practice.

Afterward, he signed autographs and was undoubtedly a fan favorite of those in attendance.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
ebastian Joseph-Day has the early edge at NT
Greg Gaines may have been drafted with the goal of him being the starting nose tackle in base defense, but that may not be the case right now. On the first day of practice, Joseph-Day got first-team reps at nose tackle.

This isn’t bad news for Gaines because after all, he is a rookie, but it does show the Rams like what they have in Joseph-Day. The second-year player has big shoes to fill with Ndamukong Suh no longer in the picture.
Under Son of Bum, rookies have to earn it.