Camp Report 8/15/13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Camp Report 8/15/13

Players not participating: Lance Kendricks; Jemelle Cudjo; Matt Giordano; Rodger Saffold ; Sammy Brown; Sean Hooey Jabara Williams; Eugene Sims

Terrance Ganaway was dressed and participated
Zach Stacy was dressed, participated in unit drills, did NOT participate in TEAM drills
Torry Holt was in workout gear, complete with cleats; participated in WR individual drills, catching ONE HANDED passes with other WRs

o He was very active today working with, and talking to Brian Quick, Chris Givens and Austin Pettis throughout practice

Offensive Line:

1st Unit: Long C. Williams Wells Dahl Barksdale
2nd Unit: Nsekhe S. Smith Barnes Washington DJ Young

o Brandon Washington took some 3rd unit rep at RT
LG rotation holds true for another day

Today: 2nd unit QB was Kellen Clemens was taking the 2nd unit reps; Austin Davis back to 3rd unit

Theme of the day: Mixing up units on BOTH sides of the ball
Will Witherspoon now working with 1st unit at OLB; Jo-Lonn Dunbar still in mix but working with 2nd unit
Matt Daniels working with 2nd Unit, rotating with Cody Davis
Brandon McGee getting reps with the 1st unit in Nickel Package in place of Trumaine Johnson
Matt Conrath & William Hayes worked at DT with 1st unit in Nickel Package in place of Langford
Justin Veltung AND Andrew Helmick rotating in SLOT with 2nd unit offense
o Both these players look like they are separating themselves from the rest for 6th WR spot

SPECIAL TEAMS : KICKOFF RETURN
o Pead, Austin, Cunningham, Veltung, and Helmick all took reps as return man.
o Spent more time today than any other practice on blocking scheme and returns
o Changed up personnel and formation… no longer includes an “up” back on return team

7 on 7 & 11 on 11
o Worked hard on RedZone and Intermediate routes

o b]Quick vs. T. Johnson[/b] nice “skinny Post” SEAM route from Bradford

o Givens vs. McGee makes nice diving catch on Back Shoulder throw from Bradford

o Jenkins jumps an out vs. Givens and misses

o Next play, Jenkins vs. Pettis on deep fade (Interception)

o Clemens with 2’s, nice back to back throws to Veltung including a nice One-handed leaping catch on a corner route

o Helmick follows up with nice seam route

• 1st and 2nd units Offense AND Defense ran plays against the “Scout Team” showing various Green Bay looks on both sides of the ball

Player Observations

Brian Quick had another impressive Practice…. He owns the middle of the field on deep dig routes
o Got behind Pointer for LONG pass (50+) from Clemens

Stedman Bailey had maybe his worst practice…. Actually dropped a couple of passes, and just did not make many plays (no agenda here, just calling it like I see it)

Chris Givens made some very nice plays, seems to be running the “Stop” route quite well

Zach Stacy may be the odd man out vs Green Bay if today is any indication. He was dressed, but didn’t take any reps during TEAM drills

• UDFA CBs Andre Martin & Darren Woodard were the sacrificial lambs ALL DAY, getting torched time and again

Bennie Cunningham continues to look VERY comfortable running the ball (just looks like a natural runner)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Thanks Coach. Here are my observations of your observations.

What was Saffold doing? Is he still in a sling?
I guess we figured Clemens would take 2nd string snaps, but how did Austin Davis look otherwise?
I'll bet Holt looked like he could still play to this day (sad face).
Dunbar is going to be a one-man wrecking crew against the 2's when we play GB, I'll bet.
Helmick .... yay!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
Thanks Coach. Here are my observations of your observations.

What was Saffold doing? Is he still in a sling?
I guess we figured Clemens would take 2nd string snaps, but how did Austin Davis look otherwise?
I'll bet Holt looked like he could still play to this day (sad face).
Dunbar is going to be a one-man wrecking crew against the 2's when we play GB, I'll bet.
Helmick .... yay!

Saffold has NOT been in a sling since seeing him in it on the sidelines during the game in Cleveland. He was at practice on Saturday, and again today, wearing his jersey and shorts, NO SLING.

Clemens was Clemens. He made a few really nice throws, and then looks like he has no idea where he wants to go with it. But at the end of the day, he just makes plays. AS unorthodox as it may end up, he moves the ball.

Davis was pretty much the same. Still, IMO, its the accuracy issues that are MY biggest concern with him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Who looked like the more explosive return guy out of the ones you saw?

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Great job as usual CoachO. It's great to hear how well Quick is doing. I'd sure like to see him beat Pettis out before the season starts. That would be awesome to have Cook, Givens, Tavon and Quick on the field at the same time. And let's not forget Kendricks. :nana:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
X said:

They were focusing more on the blocking then actually RETURNING the kicks, so not much to evaluate. Just mentioned WHO was back there fielding the kicks.

Also found it interesting that they did NOT have Reynolds back there in the "up" back position, but instead had an extra "front line" blocker on the field.

Reading Coach Fassel's comments from yesterday, he talked ALOT about how important it is to get the blocks from the front line guys, or the whole thing tends to break down.

I made a comment that it doesn't matter WHO the return guy is, if the FIRST CONTACT is inside the 15 yard line, which has often been the case. I know, given the THREAD OF THE DAY, yesterday about Pead, most wont want to hear this, but he does look like the BEST return guy thus far.

The guy I want to see in a game situation, is Helmick. The guy just looks explosive and very instinctive.

Being in Ottawa, it's very helpful for me seeing these reports, so thank you. Just wanted to know the general thoughts on Tavon. A lot of the reports I read don't seem to have much mention of him. Very excited for this season. I thinks it's time I got the NFL package so I can watch every game.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
OttawaRamsFan said:
Being in Ottawa, it's very helpful for me seeing these reports, so thank you. Just wanted to know the general thoughts on Tavon. A lot of the reports I read don't seem to have much mention of him. Very excited for this season. I thinks it's time I got the NFL package so I can watch every game.

The reports of how dynamic Austin is, are absolutely on the money. He will be the WildCard on this offense. Even if he isn't directly being targeted, his presence on the field, makes defenses have to account for him.

They use him the majority of the time on underneath routes, crossing routes, and trying to get him the ball in space. They will take a shot on occasion with him, but don't expect to see him just running "go" routes all day long.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Thanks Coach. Appreciate the reports as always. How big of a differnce do you think Cunningham would make if he got to play with the 1's in preseason? I'm really pulling for him.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CoachO said:
X said:

They were focusing more on the blocking then actually RETURNING the kicks, so not much to evaluate. Just mentioned WHO was back there fielding the kicks.

Also found it interesting that they did NOT have Reynolds back there in the "up" back position, but instead had an extra "front line" blocker on the field.

Reading Coach Fassel's comments from yesterday, he talked ALOT about how important it is to get the blocks from the front line guys, or the whole thing tends to break down.

I made a comment that it doesn't matter WHO the return guy is, if the FIRST CONTACT is inside the 15 yard line, which has often been the case. I know, given the THREAD OF THE DAY, yesterday about Pead, most wont want to hear this, but he does look like the BEST return guy thus far.

The guy I want to see in a game situation, is Helmick. The guy just looks explosive and very instinctive.
My experience returning kicks, is that I would target the two best guys blocking on that back line/level, and I would just fake to one side or the other a little, and then find them, sometimes the hole opened, sometimes it didn't. If it did though, it was a beautiful thing, like the parting of the Red Sea. I'd hit it, then go from there. If it wasn't there, I'd have to ad-lib a little sooner.

Punt return can't be any more different.

I don't see the instincts for Pead in the kick return. Just don't see it. Givens has some promise, but I don't think they want him doing it this year.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
bwdenverram said:
Thanks Coach. Appreciate the reports as always. How big of a differnce do you think Cunningham would make if he got to play with the 1's in preseason? I'm really pulling for him.

Its hard to gauge how much difference it makes. He has certainly made a good showing thus far in camp, but I just don't know how many backs they can carry that are all the same size.

With Richardson and Pead both listed at 197 lbs, and Cunningham at 209, just not sure he brings anything "different" to the mix.

Stacy AND Ganaway are both "bigger" backs, and are both getting reps AHEAD of Cunningham. Although they both have missed practice time in the last week.

I don't see any decisions being made until the FINAL CUT, after all 4 Preseason Games have been played.

kohhwf

UDFA
I was also at camp today Coach O. I was extremely impressed with Givens and Quick, even though I know Quick isn't always the most consistent receiver.

Bradford for the most part looked very sharp, but he seemed to have issues with touch passes to Cook on corner routes. I don't know if you have noticed this in camp or maybe just a few errant throws. Thanks for all the good information.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Working on defending GB formations? I guess we're gonna see them in like... January or something. :mrgreen:

62ramsfan

UDFA
Interesting comment about Pead being perhaps the best kick returner. I was expecting him to be a return weapon when he was drafted.

I guess in camp you get to see his good moments. I've never seen him look confident or give me confidence in a game. Instead he gives me the feeling of being indecisive and vulnerable. Coach Venturi called him "a Mr. Indecisive if there ever was one" the other day on 101.

Does he look a lot better in practice?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
CoachO said:
Camp Report 8/15/13

Offensive Line:

1st Unit: Long C. Williams Wells Dahl Barksdale
2nd Unit: Nsekhe S. Smith Barnes Washington DJ Young
o Brandon Washington took some 3rd unit rep at RT

It does appear thus far from all the camp reports that with our 3 centers looking very good Wells, Barnes & Barrett Jones & our 3 OG's Dahl, Williams & Shelley Smith pretty much set ....its the OT's where the present area that Washinton could prove some value. Other than @ ORT he has not stepped up to take the Watkins spot. The only bonified reserve type ORT we will have is the 6-4 306 pound rookie Barrett Jones. Not so sure he would be a force but if Barnes is the 2nd OC then Jones is the player who should begin to get some work in this reserve ORT spot if Brandon Washington is pretty much Moot.

Matt Conrath & William Hayes worked at DT with 1st unit in Nickel Package in place of Langford

This is what I expected here that William Hayes would get more & more work inside in the Nickle & Dime defenses just like last yr. Conrath would seem to have secured himself a major role in this yrs defense as the 3rd DT & now making a serious move to secure a spot on those major Fisher defenses. I kinda like to see Rivers & Sims get major action @ reserve DE spots.

Bennie Cunningham continues to look VERY comfortable running the ball (just looks like a natural runner)

I am really happy with this UDFA sign think he has some yrs of play with this Ram Team.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Many thanks CoachO. You have blown away all the beat writers in StL. We are so lucky to have you here.

What do you make of McGee possibly moving ahead of Trumaine?

TexRamFan

Rookie
Quality report as always Coach, thanks so much.

Thats awesome to hear about Holt. I am glad Fisher is open and willing to bring in these ex-players to give the young pups a chance to learn and grow.

Just from reading articles, etc. It really seems the talk of Austin Pettis having amazing practices has started to subside and he is coming back to earth. With what you have seen the last week at practice, any chance he slips out of the starting lineup come week 1?

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Thank you Coach! Truly appreciate the time and effort you put in to keep those of us who cannot attend informed.

Question on B. Cunningham: Do you think there is any chance he can be hidden on the PS to develop for a year?