Camp Report 8/15/13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

nighttrain

Legend
CoachO said:
X said:
Thanks Coach. Here are my observations of your observations.

What was Saffold doing? Is he still in a sling?
I guess we figured Clemens would take 2nd string snaps, but how did Austin Davis look otherwise?
I'll bet Holt looked like he could still play to this day (sad face).
Dunbar is going to be a one-man wrecking crew against the 2's when we play GB, I'll bet.
Helmick .... yay!

Saffold has NOT been in a sling since seeing him in it on the sidelines during the game in Cleveland. He was at practice on Saturday, and again today, wearing his jersey and shorts, NO SLING.

Clemens was Clemens. He made a few really nice throws, and then looks like he has no idea where he wants to go with it. But at the end of the day, he just makes plays. AS unorthodox as it may end up, he moves the ball.

Davis was pretty much the same. Still, IMO, its the accuracy issues that are MY biggest concern with him.
thanks for the info CoachO
train

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
kohhwf said:
I was also at camp today Coach O. I was extremely impressed with Givens and Quick, even though I know Quick isn't always the most consistent receiver.

Bradford for the most part looked very sharp, but he seemed to have issues with touch passes to Cook on corner routes. I don't know if you have noticed this in camp or maybe just a few errant throws. Thanks for all the good information.

I saw your post on the "other" forum, and quite frankly, I don't have an opinion of Bradford "missing" on a couple throws in a 7 on 7 drill. He throws anywhere in the range of 125 passes in any given practice, and I don't expect that he will hit on EVERY pass.

Not getting drawn into a Bradford "debate" here.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
BonifayRam said:
CoachO said:
Camp Report 8/15/13

Offensive Line:

1st Unit: Long C. Williams Wells Dahl Barksdale
2nd Unit: Nsekhe S. Smith Barnes Washington DJ Young
o Brandon Washington took some 3rd unit rep at RT

It does appear thus far from all the camp reports that with our 3 centers looking very good Wells, Barnes & Barrett Jones & our 3 OG's Dahl, Williams & Shelley Smith pretty much set ....its the OT's where the present area that Washinton could prove some value. Other than @ ORT he has not stepped up to take the Watkins spot. The only bonified reserve type ORT we will have is the 6-4 306 pound rookie Barrett Jones. Not so sure he would be a force but if Barnes is the 2nd OC then Jones is the player who should begin to get some work in this reserve ORT spot if Brandon Washington is pretty much Moot.

IMO, the OT depth isn't as big of an issue as it might look on paper. And no, I do NOT believe that Barrett Jones will be the guy "next in line" as the reserve at ORT. It's pretty clear, that in the event they get to their FOURTH Tackle, it will be C. Williams, with Shelley Smith sliding in at G.

IMO, they are literally just moving players around for now, to fill out the 3rd OL unit for the purposes of getting them reps. Hence, Washington taking RT reps with the 3's.

Matt Conrath & William Hayes worked at DT with 1st unit in Nickel Package in place of Langford

This is what I expected here that William Hayes would get more & more work inside in the Nickle & Dime defenses just like last yr. Conrath would seem to have secured himself a major role in this yrs defense as the 3rd DT & now making a serious move to secure a spot on those major Fisher defenses. I kinda like to see Rivers & Sims get major action @ reserve DE spots.

As much as I like what Rivers has shown so far, don't forget about Mason Brodine. He has been taking all the 2nd unit reps at DT, but seems to be more suited physically to play DE. I think once Cudjo comes back, and becomes a part of the rotation, you might see Brodine as a "swing guy" and would have an advantage as that "extra" Defensive Lineman.

Bennie Cunningham continues to look VERY comfortable running the ball (just looks like a natural runner)

I am really happy with this UDFA sign think he has some yrs of play with this Ram Team.

If I had a preference, it would exactly that. He would benefit greatly from being put on the practice squad, and if need be, a mid-season "call up" if things don't work out with one of the other 4 RBs.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
mr.stlouis said:
Working on defending GB formations? I guess we're gonna see them in like... January or something. :mrgreen:

Or maybe in the IMMEDIATE future as in SATURDAY NIGHT I their next Preseason GAME.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CoachO said:
mr.stlouis said:
Working on defending GB formations? I guess we're gonna see them in like... January or something. :mrgreen:

Or maybe in the IMMEDIATE future as in SATURDAY NIGHT I their next Preseason GAME.
He was being facetious. As in, the Rams will be in the playoffs against Green Bay in January.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
max said:
Many thanks CoachO. You have blown away all the beat writers in StL. We are so lucky to have you here.

What do you make of McGee possibly moving ahead of Trumaine?

Honestly, I don't read a whole lot into it, other than them just giving him some reps with the 1st unit, "just in case".

They moved some other guys around throughout the day as well, mixing up a few of the units. Not necessarily as a permanent change, hey were rotating different guys on to different units from where they had been practicing earlier in camp.

For example, Matt Daniels was getting some reps with the "2's" at Safety, sharing time with Cody Davis.

I try to pay a lot of attention on who is moving up on the Depth Chart, but especially in a practice right before a "game", I don't put a whole lot of stock as to any long term meaning. Let's see where they are when they come back AFTER the weekend.