Camp Report 8/1/14 (complete)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Camp Report 8/1/14

Players not participating: Christian Bryant; Johnny Millard; Kadeem Jones, Jarrid Bryant; Janoris Jenkins, James Laurinaitis, Barrett Jones, Davin Joseph, Lamarcus Joyner

Sammy Brown dressed and participated in unit drills, no team drills

Isaiah Pead dressed, and participated in unit drill as well as Special Team drill, no team drills (offense)

Jake Long and Scott Wells participated in the unit drills, limited reps in teams drills

Rodger Saffold (shoulder or wrist) and Michael Brockers (foot/ankle) leave practice early with injury

Shorts and NO PADS or Shells

Offense:

1st Unit: Started team drills with Long , Robinson, Wells, Saffold, Barksdale took about 5 or 6 reps then Barnes (for Wells) and Person at RG – Saffold to LT

Defense:

1st Unit: Long Brockers Langford Quinn; Bates; Ogletree; Dunbar; Johnson; McGee; McLeod; McDonald

· With Laurinaits out, Bates took reps at MLB, as well as Dunbar, with Armstrong rotating in while Dunbar was at MLB

· With Jenkins out, McGee took his reps, and with Joyner out, Woodard came in and McGee slid to the Nickel

Theme of the day: “Scorecard, get your Scorecard”

· With so many starters sitting on the sidelines, there were constant rotations taking place with each of the units.

o I usually do a really good job of keeping track of who is playing with which unit, but today was impossible as players rotated in on virtually every other play

· Defense ruled the day

o While Bradford has some WOW throws, most of the day was spent with quick throws to TEs and comeback routes to the WRs

o Tru Johnson made a nice leaping INT in the Red Zone drills off of Bradford.

o EJ Gaines closed on an out route to INT Gilbert, stepping in front on Givens

· Offense continued with the WR rotation, with Bailey Austin and Givens getting most of the work

o Quick had another nice TD reception from Bradford, but did not get many reps today

o Britt seemed to be in the doghouse for one reason or another getting all 2nd and some 3rd unit reps

Special Teams:

Kickoff Return

1st Unit:

Daniels Steward Armstrong Bates Reynolds C. Davis Harkey Barnes Conrath Cunningham Pead (returner)

2nd Unit:

Alexander Wilson Ogletree Dunbar A. Hill Blake Brodine Washington Watts Veltung (returner)

3rd Unit:

Moe Schiller Harris A. Cunningham Sabino Woodard Rhaney Sam Gaines Givens (returner)

Punt Coverage:

Bailey & McLeod ran at “gunner” spots on Punt Team

1st Unit: Cunningham Armstrong Steward McQuaide Sims Bates Harkey C. Davis Reynolds

· C. Davis B. Cunningham and Harkey rotated at the “wing back” positions

· C. Davis and Reynolds rotated as the punt protector

7 on 7 & 11 on 11 Drills:

Highlights:

Givens & Quick nice catches in traffic

Cody Davis INT off deflected pass from Hill

TJ Moe 25 yard catch and run on a crossing route

Tru Johnson makes a difference in secondary.

· Nice INT in Red Zone Drill of Bradford trying to hit Austin in the back of the End Zone

· Pass break up on a deep crossing route in 7 on 7

Lowlights:

Kendricks drops a TD in back of End Zone in Red Zone session

With so many players sitting out, this may have been the most sluggish practice yet.

2nd unit Defense ran 2 different plays in 11 on 11 session with only 10 players on the field

· Greg Reid was bumped to the 2nd unit and “forgot” to go on the field when they went to a sub package.

· Lots of blown assignments resulting from not knowing where to line up (by product of all the rotating of players)

CAMP OBSERVATIONS:

· One of the strangest practices of the season. Overcast, showers off and on and just had a different feel to it with all the players sitting out

· Defense used a lot of different looks and sub packages (30 Nickel) and lots of Nickel

· Givens had his best practice

· Lots of Austin with Bailey

o Austin; Bailey; Cook and Kendricks in one package

o Austin; Bailey; Quick and Cook in another

· More designed toss sweeps, and rushes to the edge

o Stacy; Mason; Cunningham getting 1st or 2nd unit reps

· Chase Reynolds has reappeared on 1st unit Special Teams (Kickoff Return & Punt Coverage)

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
When you strangest practices of the season? Do you mean tempo, atmosphere, mistakes etc...?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When you strangest practices of the season? Do you mean tempo, atmosphere, mistakes etc...?

all of the above

I guess it was just tough to get into any real rhythm with all the players rotating in and out.
It was a dreary afternoon, weather and just the feel of the practice.

Mistakes being made all over the place. Players not getting lined up on defense. Running a couple of plays with only 10 players. Others where there was so much confusion that there were receivers UNCOVERED. All attributed to having ROOKIES (Roberson, Reid, Alexander) just not sure what do to.

LBs were changing almost every play. So you never really knew who was on the field. It was just weird.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I was there with my son and looked for you.

Bradford had a really nice deep pass to Bailey on 11v11s.

First time I've seen Jake Long out there. As I mentioned elsewhere, he looked good pushing some poor sap up the hill with Greg Robinson. He was out there about half the time through the 11v11s and then Saffold shifted out to to LG, leaving (I think) Person at RG. No Davin Joseph??

Givens SHOULD have reeled in a long pass from Bradford right in front of me (fighting with Woodard, I think). Went to the ground to make the catch but couldn't quite reel it in.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
That's weird about Britt in the doghouse. Maybe they just wanted more reps for the other guys. That way they all get some time playing with the 1s.

PhxRam

all of the above

I guess it was just tough to get into any real rhythm with all the players rotating in and out.
It was a dreary afternoon, weather and just the feel of the practice.

Mistakes being made all over the place. Players not getting lined up on defense. Running a couple of plays with only 10 players. Others where there was so much confusion that there were receivers UNCOVERED. All attributed to having ROOKIES (Roberson, Reid, Alexander) just not sure what do to.

LBs were changing almost every play. So you never really knew who was on the field. It was just weird.

With limited practice time because of the CBA, it sounds like a wasted practice.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
With limited practice time because of the CBA, it sounds like a wasted practice.

When the Kickoff Return is the best part of practice, YEAH!

I also think a lot of it had to do with the specific installations they were working on today. Not exactly the dynamic pages of the playbook.

The unfortunate part of the injuries, is with the FanFest (scrimmage) at the Dome tomorrow, its gonna be a little lackluster.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'll be honest - I'm not liking what I'm hearing on Greg Reid - and based on the ST lineups, the coaches aren't liking what they are seeing either.

How did McGee play - if you could tell?

lockdnram21

Legend
That's weird about Britt in the doghouse. Maybe they just wanted more reps for the other guys. That way they all get some time playing with the 1s.

thats what i think to because the last couple days all you were hearing was Quick and Britt

CoachO

Hall of Fame
thats what i think to because the last couple days all you were hearing was Quick and Britt

I don't disagree with this at all. I was just kinda putting that out there to see if anyone is paying attention LMAO!!!!!

Quick had a few reps mixed in with Bailey and Austin in the 7 on 7 stuff. and early in the 11 on 11, then just kinda disappeared. Britt was getting plenty of reps, but they were all with the 2's. Oh well.

We shall see how they run things tomorrow.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Thanks for all of your hard work CoachO, although I know that there is no other place you'd rather be, than sitting on the sidelines, watching athlete's...do what they do, other than wishing you had your say here, or there.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
coach what do you think about Marcus Roberson

I think he has some cover skills, but I also think he will do whatever he can to stay as far away from any real contact as possible. I also wonder how "sharp" he is, in that he still seems to struggle getting line up. His reps have been limited, and today he got bumped up to the 2nd unit due to all the injuries, and such, and he looked lost most of the day.

The other telling thing to me, is he isn't showing up on any of the special teams, again, that's part of the "I don't tackle" mindset, and it doesn't bode well for his chances of sticking.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think he has some cover skills, but I also think he will do whatever he can to stay as far away from any real contact as possible. I also wonder how "sharp" he is, in that he still seems to struggle getting line up. His reps have been limited, and today he got bumped up to the 2nd unit due to all the injuries, and such, and he looked lost most of the day.

The other telling thing to me, is he isn't showing up on any of the special teams, again, that's part of the "I don't tackle" mindset, and it doesn't bode well for his chances of sticking.
If that is the case, there is no way that he makes this team, and...I don't know if he can change that about himself.

If you are that way, you'd better be as talented as Deion Sanders.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

I wouldn't say that. As long as they learn from their mistakes then it's all good. Sounds like the coaches intentionally overloaded them. "Next step" turned out to be a bit dramatic.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wow, as long as we survive the injuries, alls well. I'd hold out Quick and Britt too. Let the other guys get some reps and targets. Wish they coulda went against the ones...So, there wasn't pads today, and a few dinged up players...Will they go all out tomorrow? Or rest the valuable pieces and send out the 2's and 3's...?
Thanks for the report Coach, all the tweets were confusing today....

TShram03

UDFA
The packages are what intrigues me most.

I feel cumbersome asking it because you're already going above and beyond with daily reports, Coach, but I think it would add real value to note where each player is lined up in these packages. Is Tavon in backfield, slot, out wide? Is Cook motioning anywhere?

Any little detail like that -- I know it's asking too much haha -- would be awesome.

Thanks again, you're efforts are greatly appreciated here.

A55VA6

Legend
Seems like Tru is becoming that CB we can start to trust. He's been slowly getting better.