Camp Report - 7/31/13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Camp Report 7/31/13

Players not participating: Lance Kendricks; Matt Daniels; Jemelle Cudjo; Sammy Brown; Andrew Helmick; Matt Girdano; Nick Johnson

New players making their debut: OT Graham Pocic; WR Justin Verlung

Offensive Line:
1st Unit: Long C. Williams Wells Dahl Saffold
2nd Unit: Barksdale S. Smith Barnes Washington Nsekhe
LG rotation holds true for another day

Players rotating on a daily basis.
Today: 2nd unit QB was Kellen Clemens; Austin Davis taking 3rd unit reps

Want to preface today’s report by stating that the majority of the practice was on the FAR field, so my viewpoint was less than optimal. Just no way to get close to the action.

Theme of the day: DEFENSE DEFENSE DEFENSE
• If they were keeping score you might have seen the defense pitch a shutout.
Janoris Jenkins makes it look too easy.
Trumaine Johnson continues to get better
Alec Ogletree is going to be a beast
TJ McDonald continues to show why he was drafted; looking more and more comfortable everyday
Cody Davis filled in on the 2nd unit and had at least 3 interceptions (2 in TEAM drills)
• With the infusion of Ogletree and McDonald, and their ability to cover, they are playing much more “tight” MAN coverage with the CBs.
Overall, there just wasn’t much room to complete passes all day. The defense looked faster and was flying around. Wasn’t just one guy, it was the entire 1st unit. Even switched up the D-Line 1st & 2nd units.

First real skirmish of training camp. Surprise, Courtland Finnegan right in the middle of it. Both units came together and plenty of pushing and shoving that lasted for more than just a few seconds. Only took second day in pads to see the intensity ratcheting up.

On offense, Pead and Stacy had the bulk of the success running the ball. Stedman Bailey had his best day, catching passes from both with the 1’s & 2’s.

Special Teams work: FG unit got plenty of reps at end of team drills. Zuerlein is still thumping the ball, taking aim at the camera man in the tower. They haven’t stretched him out yet. He is kicking from the 35-45 yard range and looks very good.

Punt returners were Isaiah Pead; Tavon Austin and newcomer Justin Veltung

11 on 11• Offense was obviously installing a part of the system that hasn’t been seen a lot of thus far. Tavon Austin was not a part of the 1st unit for a good majority of the installation. Lots of Brian Quick, Stedman Bailey at WR, rotating with Pettis and Givens.
• Ran a lot of intermediate stuff, with little success.
• Highlights were swing passes to RB (Pead & Richardson)

Player observations:
• Ray Ray Armstrong took all his reps with 2nd unit.
• Will Witherspoon looks like he can still really play.
• Matt Conrath has bulked up, and looks much stronger inside.
• M.I.A. = Chris Givens ….. he had a few catches on some quick “comeback” routes, but overall, has not showed up like someone who is supposed to be the #1 returning WR. Jenkins continues to blanket him.
• Michael Brockers is virtually unblockable.
• Cody Davis looked good at Safety.. taking reps with 2’s AND 3’s (in place of Giordano)
• Jake Long is handling everything Robert Quinn and throw at him. He looks so much better in pads.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Re: Camp Report - 7/30/13

hey coach do you mind if i share this on the facebook page?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rabid Ram said:

Absolutely,, thanks for checking

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

CoachO said:
Rabid Ram said:

Absolutely,, thanks for checking

np i have no prob posting website news or just basic post on the website there without asking but you put alot of thought and work into this so your permisson means alot to me :) Ive got it up there now if you wanna check it out
<a class="postlink" href="https://www.facebook.com/pages/RamsONDEMAND/373878719321967" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.facebook.com/pages/RamsONDE ... 8719321967</a>

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Jake Long being Jake Long...

Not surprised here.

Dude is young and healthy.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
CGI_Ram said:

Not surprised here.

Glad to see that he is so far back to his dominate style of play

RustyRay

Rookie
CoachO,

As always, thanks so much for the report, they are gold.

If you can could you shed some light on the running game please?

What is your impression of the LGs? Is Williams the clear leader? Has he been solid?

How about the ground game? Which guys are getting movement?

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
CoachO said:
Camp Report 7/31/13

First real skirmish of training camp. Surprise, Courtland Finnegan right in the middle of it. Both units came together and plenty of pushing and shoving that lasted for more than just a few seconds. Only took second day in pads to see the intensity ratcheting up.

Glad to see some passion in Training camp

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
CGI_Ram said:

Not surprised here.

The drop off from Long to the back up was VERY noticeable.

Same thing with drop off between Sam Bradford and Clemens/Davis.

The Defense dominated today. Seeing the d line completely own the offensive line

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RustyRay said:
CoachO,

What is your impression of the LGs? Is Williams the clear leader? Has he been solid?

Its difficult to get a read on the running game. A couple of reasons IMO. They are rotating guys so much at the RB position, that no one really has much of an opportunity to get any real traction. And more importantly, the vast majority of the work is geared towards the passing game, that it's more of a case that they mix in a run every now and then to keep things honest.

That being said, the past two practices, Isaiah Pead has really shown up. he is running with more determination and decisiveness. Ganaway had a nice day (including catching the ball), and today may have been Stacy's best day. He had a couple of decent runs.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
• TJ McDonald continues to show why he was drafted; looking more and more comfortable everyday

Never understood the T.J. McDonald hate, or the comparison to Taylor Mays. McDonald can play, and had very impressive college numbers.

McDonald wasn't my favorite safety in this class, but I think he was a solid pick where we got him in an extremely deep safety draft.

This kid could end up being a steal. Sounds like he's exceeding everyone's expectations so far.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
DR RAM said:
• TJ McDonald continues to show why he was drafted; looking more and more comfortable everyday

Never understood the T.J. McDonald hate, or the comparison to Taylor Mays. McDonald can play, and had very impressive college numbers.

McDonald wasn't my favorite safety in this class, but I think he was a solid pick where we got him in an extremely deep safety draft.

This kid could end up being a steal. Sounds like he's exceeding everyone's expectations so far.

agreed i dont understand the hate either. I was actually happy with where we picked him up at. Mark my words he will be a quality player for us

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Rabid Ram said:
DR RAM said:

agreed i dont understand the hate either. I was actually happy with where we picked him up at. Mark my words he will be a quality player for us

I didn't like the pick because I thought he played very stiff in college. Couldn't be a better individual though. Knows the game, and has a great attitude. Regardless if I like the pick or not I will be rooting my ass off for him to succeed. Sounds like he's catching on pretty damn fast. I'm excited.

RustyRay

Rookie
CoachO said:
RustyRay said:
CoachO,

Its difficult to get a read on the running game. A couple of reasons IMO. They are rotating guys so much at the RB position, that no one really has much of an opportunity to get any real traction. And more importantly, the vast majority of the work is geared towards the passing game, that it's more of a case that they mix in a run every now and then to keep things honest.

That being said, the past two practices, Isaiah Pead has really shown up. he is running with more determination and decisiveness. Ganaway had a nice day (including catching the ball), and today may have been Stacy's best day. He had a couple of decent runs.

Thanks Coach!

fearsomefour

Legend
Good news with Brockers and Conrath. I thnk we could all see the potential with Brockers last year. WIth a year experience under his belt and a year of professional level training and being healthy, he has the chance to be a difference maker. The Rams are so close to having the best most explosive front seven in football. If Conrath can develop into a steady rotational guy with the depth DEs we already have, look out. Offenses will just have no time to rest.
With the speed on the outside of our D (Long, Quinn, Dunbar, Ogletree) and two CBs that will support the run it seems to me the Rams D is custom built to deal with the whiner and seattle Os perfectly. If those QBs wanna run they are going to get funneled back inside where the big dogs live. Johnson really getting solid at that third CB spot is key as well. Good report.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
brokeu91 said:
The Defense dominated today. Seeing the d line completely own the offensive line

i don't know if i should be ecstatic or depressed.

A55VA6

Legend
kurtfaulk said:
brokeu91 said:

i don't know if i should be ecstatic or depressed.

I just have a feeling our defense is just too good lol.