Camp Report - 7/31/13

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
That an we arent going to go out and flash our new offensive plan for the world to see

nighttrain

Legend
RustyRay said:
CoachO said:
RustyRay said:
CoachO,

As always, thanks so much for the report, they are gold.

If you can could you shed some light on the running game please?

What is your impression of the LGs? Is Williams the clear leader? Has he been solid?

How about the ground game? Which guys are getting movement?

Its difficult to get a read on the running game. A couple of reasons IMO. They are rotating guys so much at the RB position, that no one really has much of an opportunity to get any real traction. And more importantly, the vast majority of the work is geared towards the passing game, that it's more of a case that they mix in a run every now and then to keep things honest.

That being said, the past two practices, Isaiah Pead has really shown up. he is running with more determination and decisiveness. Ganaway had a nice day (including catching the ball), and today may have been Stacy's best day. He had a couple of decent runs.

Thanks Coach!
Love your camp reports CoachO, this team sounds as if it truly might make some noise in the NFL
train

TexRamFan

Rookie
Thanks Coach O for your detailed work. I sure hate not being able to attend a practice or two, but love reading your reports.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A55VA6 said:
kurtfaulk said:
brokeu91 said:
The Defense dominated today. Seeing the d line completely own the offensive line

i don't know if i should be ecstatic or depressed.

I just have a feeling our defense is just too good lol.

The way its shaping up, this will be the BEST D-Line our offensive line has to line up against all year. They are that good.

That being said, this isn't a case of our OLine being overmatched PHYSICALLY, as in years past. Its more a case, IMO, of then just needing to "gel". Regardless of who wins the LG spot (C. Williams or S. Smith) there only two spots where the "incumbent" is lining up in their spot.

The days of the undersized Jacob Bells being physically overmatched and blown up at the LOS are gone. Especially when C. Williams is at LG, they are HUGE. Wells notwithstanding, when H. Dahl is the "smallest" guy on the OLine, it tells me they are a not going to be giving anything away physically.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
CoachO said:
The days of the undersized Jacob Bells being physically overmatched and blown up at the LOS are gone. Especially when C. Williams is at LG, they are HUGE. Wells notwithstanding, when H. Dahl is the "smallest" guy on the OLine, it tells me they are a not going to be giving anything away physically.

This is the solid truth. What a potentially AWESOME line we have.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
How did Saffold look?

I guess as was said earlier the biggest concern with this offensive line is dept.

jap

Legend
Username said:
Rabid Ram said:
DR RAM said:
• TJ McDonald continues to show why he was drafted; looking more and more comfortable everyday

Never understood the T.J. McDonald hate, or the comparison to Taylor Mays. McDonald can play, and had very impressive college numbers.

McDonald wasn't my favorite safety in this class, but I think he was a solid pick where we got him in an extremely deep safety draft.

This kid could end up being a steal. Sounds like he's exceeding everyone's expectations so far.

agreed i dont understand the hate either. I was actually happy with where we picked him up at. Mark my words he will be a quality player for us

I didn't like the pick because I thought he played very stiff in college. Couldn't be a better individual though. Knows the game, and has a great attitude. Regardless if I like the pick or not I will be rooting my ass off for him to succeed. Sounds like he's catching on pretty damn fast. I'm excited.

I remember around draft time Fish diplomatically alluding to the idea that TJ was not properly used in his senior season, and he [Fish] had his own ideas about how to play TJ.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Zaphod said:
How did Saffold look?

I guess as was said earlier the biggest concern with this offensive line is dept.

The big thing for me, it isn't about the individuals on the Offensive Line. They all bring something to the mix. This is all about how they gel as a unit.

Saffold looks to have made the adjustment to the right side, just fine.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
CoachO said:
Zaphod said:
How did Saffold look?

The big thing for me, it isn't about the individuals on the Offensive Line. They all bring something to the mix. This is all about how they gel as a unit.

Saffold looks to have made the adjustment to the right side, just fine.

That's all I needed to hear! :2u:

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'd think it's safe to say that the defense had a bit of jump on the offense going into this thing anyway. Not too surprising to hear that they've got the jump. Seems to me that there are more new bits and pieces to install on offense, and that they're managing to move the ball against the 'D is encouraging to me.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Warner4Prez said:
I'd think it's safe to say that the defense had a bit of jump on the offense going into this thing anyway. Not too surprising to hear that they've got the jump. Seems to me that there are more new bits and pieces to install on offense, and that they're managing to move the ball against the 'D is encouraging to me.

The other thing that is getting overlooked, not only are they "installing" the offense again, they are working on specific parts of the install on a daily basis. One day, they get some work in the "2-minute" offense, and obviously will be in a hurry up mode. Most fans see this and think ,see, they are going to be a fast paced, quick strike offense, when in fact they are working on a very specific phase of the playbook.

Yesterday, they worked on a lot of "red zone" stuff, and then they went to a "blitz pickup" package of the offense, thereby, it looks like they are getting beaten badly by the defensive front, when actually, that's the whole point of the "packages". They are working on picking up overloads blitzes, and being outnumbered "in the trenches".

When they worked at the end of practice, with the "noise", they were specifically working on "getting out of your own end zone" stuff. Lined up inside their own 5 yard line and being much more guarded in their play calling.

So to say they are just lining up and running plays and getting beaten by the defense, is not really a fair assessment of what is going on day to day.