Camp Report 7/29/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Camp Report 7/29/14

Players not participating: Ethan Westbrooks; Christian Bryant; Sammy Brown; Johnny Millard; Kadeem Jones, Trumaine Johnson, William Hayes, Brandon Washington; Jarrid Bryant; Isaiah Pead

Jake Long and Scott Wells participated in the unit drills, but did NOT participate in TEAM DRILLS

Shorts and Shoulder Pads. Plenty of contact, but still not FULL TACKLING

Offense:

1st Unit: Bradford; Britt; Quick; Cook; Kendricks/Austin; Stacy; LT- Saffold; LG- Robinson; C- Jones; RG- Joseph; RT- Barksdale

2nd Unit: Hill; Bailey & Austin; (Givens & Pettis) Harkey; J. Cunningham; B. Cunningham; LT- Person; LG- Rhaney; C- Barnes; RG- Bond; RT- Hooey

3rd Unit: Gilbert; Given; Pettis; (Veltung, Blake, Moe, Franklin); Bayer; Mason; LT- Van Dyk; LG- Person; C- Rhaney; RG- Morrell; RT- Dill

· Scott Wells and Jake Long had their most extensive drill work today, but still did not participate in any team stuff

o They both look to moving quite well, and could be close to limited team work next week

· Starting to see some separation in the depth chart with guys getting extra reps with different units

o Rhaney and Person taking reps with 2nd & 3rd units at different positions

· The rotation with Barrett Jones and Tim Barnes continues with Jones getting the 1 unit reps today

Defensive:

1st Unit: Long Brockers Langford Quinn; Lautinaitis; Ogletree; Dunbar; Jenkins; McGee; McLeod; McDonald

2nd Unit: Sam Carrington Conrath Sims; Bates; Steward; Armstrong; Gaines; Woodard; Davis; Alexander

3rd Unit: Sam Donald Harlan K. Brown; Schiller; Sabino; A. Hill; Reid; Roberson; A. Cunningham; Daniels

· Donald took a handful of reps with the 1st unit when they went to Nickel package, but for the most part was getting 3rd unit reps the rest of the 11 on 11 work

· Joyner took 1st unit reps at Nickel

· Greg Williams was up to his old tricks, showing multiple looks, and tons of blitzes

o Introduced the “30 Nickel” which has 3 DL; 3LB; 5 DBs

o Quinn, Brockers, Long; Laurinaitis, Ogletree, Dunbar, McGee, Jenkins, Joyner, McLeod, McDonald

Theme of the day: Schottenheimer: “Brian Quick is the most improved player out here”

· For those who doubted the OC’s comments after the OTAs, need only see what it going on at training camp.

o It’s no accident he’s been the best player on the field that past 2 practices, and more importantly, Bradford is showing tons of confidence in Quick by THROWING HIM THE BALL

· Offense is clicking on all cylinders that past two days

· Name of the game for the defense today: Live or die with the blitz

Special Teams:

Punt Coverage; Worked on coverage drills, interior line and backs (no gunners)

1st Unit:
Cunningham Armstrong Steward McQuaide Sims Bates Daniels C. Davis

2nd Unit:
Alexander Ogletree Harkey Hus A. Hill Sabino Mason Stacy

Not much changes from Sunday

7 0n 7 & 11 on 11 Drills:

Highlights:

First play of 11 on 11: CB Blitz & Bradfod hits Quick on sight adjustment (Quick slant) with no one in seam he goes untouched for big play

Very NEXT play: Play Action: Bradford to Quick double move (turns McGee around) for a 40 yard completion

2nd Unit Offense: Play Action Rollout: Gilbert to Givens for 18 yard sliding completion (out route)

Gilbert to Quick another double move beats Gaines to corner (30 yard completion)

Austin had a good day catching the ball. Ran a crossing route which Daniels read perfectly, only to have Austin blow by him like he was a standing pylon

Bradford to Britt ( 9 route) in the back of the EndZone over McGee and with McGee finishing the play with a shove to the face of Britt. Britt spikes the ball at McGee’s feet and gets mobbed by teammates

In 2 minute drill at end of practice: Bradford connect with quick on deep post route, (single coverage by McLeod) Quick uses his body like going up for a rebound, McLeod had NO chance to make a play on the ball

Chris Givens showed he is still on the team: while relegated to mostly 3rd unit reps, he made a few nice catches to show he can still contribute

Cody Davis had a nice interception in 2 minute drill

Lamarcus Joyner nice INT in RedZone drill stepping in front of Pettis at back of End Zone

Cory Harkey lowers the boom on Armstrong after a catch and long run. Lowers his shoulder and delivers the blow.

Lowlights:

Chris Givens running reps with the 3rd unit. He got some 2nd unit reps when paired with Pettis, but was also running with 3rd unit guys like Veltung and Blake.

Austin Pettis was almost invisible today

Depth at CB beyond Jenkins, Johnson and Gaines is worrisome. McGee and Woodard continue to struggle; Reid and Roberson very limited reps

Expected Defense to have a “bounce back” day and offer some push back….. didn’t happen!!!

· DISCLAIMER: there were plenty of blitzes which would have resulted in sacks that ended in completions due to the “no tackle rule”

CAMP OBSERVATIONS:

· The WR rotation appears to be for the 2nd unit moving forward. It’s not by accident that Brian Quick and Kenny Britt are getting at least twice as many 1st unit reps than any of the other WRs. Austin mixes in as 3rd WR.

· Right now, the rotation seems to be settled in: Quick and Britt at the WR. Cook at TE. And either Kendricks, Austin or Harkey, depending on which personnel grouping they go with. Pretty consistent the last 2 practices.

· Alexander just hasn’t shown that he is comfortable yet in the scheme. Continually needing help in lining up from C. Davis

· Benny Cunningham had a nice blitz pickup. First time I’ve seen that from any of the RBs not named Pead.

· Mason shows quick feet and instincts, but tends to want to bounce everything outside

· Things got a little chippy towards the end of practice in the 2 minute drill, a couple of shoving including one incident with Chris Givens after the Cody Davis INT.

RamsFan14

Starter
As always CoachO, thank you for the camp reports! I always look forward to training camp time and reading your reports over the last few years! Maybe one of these camps I'll try and come down to show my appreciation, but sadly school does come first. Thanks man!

FRO

Legend
Glad to hear that about Quick and Britt. We know they have the physical tools to be very good. Now we just need to see it in games. I really look forward to watching these 2 in preseason.

FRO

Legend
Also I feel like it will be a big struggle for a UDFA to make the team this year. The last 2 years we have had very good UDFA classes, and a poor roster making it easier for guys to make it.

jjab360

Legend
I find myself praying that this Quick hype carries over to the regular season. It's about time we get a break in the receiver development department and finally give Bradford someone he can rely on. It would also put the final nail in the "Les Snead is a boss" coffin in making what some think of as his biggest mistake into one of his biggest victories. I still doubt Quick ever turns out to be better than Jeffery though, that dude is just a beast.

FRO

Legend
I find myself praying that this Quick hype carries over to the regular season. It's about time we get a break in the receiver development department and finally give Bradford someone he can rely on. It would also put the final nail in the "Les Snead is a boss" coffin in making what some think of as his biggest mistake into one of his biggest victories. I still doubt Quick ever turns out to be better than Jeffery though, that dude is just a beast.
I agree if Quick turns out to be a solid to good starting WR it will be hard to find a guy better at drafting than Snead. That being said Quick has shown up in previous camps. For him it's all mental. Physical is there. Let's hope it translates to games. He and Britt are guys who can stretch the field. They aren't dink and dunk guys like Pettis, Gibson, and Amendola. Nothing wrong with that trio, but they have been our best receivers the past 4 years. I'm hoping now we have guys that can get vertical.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yep. I am hoping both Britt and Quick have their hype carry over. I want to eat crow on Britt. This team needs WRs.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Agree with all here, thanks for these reports.....where have I heard this before,
Mason shows quick feet and instincts, but tends to want to bounce everything outside
. How long til he just goes upfield?

It is truly enjoyable to read about Brian Quick.....I'll just let that simmer......Loving Kenny Britt more everyday....

How long will they let McGee & Woody struggle then give Reid & Roberson a chance Coach0? Or do you feel they haven't earned it yet? Are the backup tackles getting better/or rather, do they appear to be able to step in if needed?

Alexander's not ready...hmmm...now I wanna see a scrimmage....like soon

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Huh. I really thought that Britt and Quick would be in rotation with each other at X, but it's looking like from these reports they're going to play the big guys simultaneously. I was wrong (again).

Perhaps inspired by the Bears offense last year?

That's cool though.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Man, we will be BIG with Harkey, Quick, Britt, and Kendricks. Great for blocking, and one on one match-ups. Love it.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree if Quick turns out to be a solid to good starting WR it will be hard to find a guy better at drafting than Snead. That being said Quick has shown up in previous camps. For him it's all mental. Physical is there. Let's hope it translates to games. He and Britt are guys who can stretch the field. They aren't dink and dunk guys like Pettis, Gibson, and Amendola. Nothing wrong with that trio, but they have been our best receivers the past 4 years. I'm hoping now we have guys that can get vertical.

I will be the first one to admit to buying into leading the charge on the Quick bandwagon in the past. But what's different from previous camps is there is finally a swagger to him. I mentioned in my report from Sunday that there was a brief exchange between him and Joyner. In past years, Quick having the pass knocked from his grasp and roughed up some, would have tucked his tail between his legs, dropped his head and sulked back to the huddle. NOT SUNDAY. He quickly turned and challenged Joyner, as if to say,, you ain't doing that to me. He finally has the look like he knows he belongs.

He can be seen tossing the ball in the air when on the sideline, where before, he tried to hide behind anyone who would shield him from Coach Sherman. Now he looks to be chomping at the bit to get back on the field. I know all that means squat unless it carries over on Sundays starting in Sept. But I cannot exaggerate the point enough.. he LOOKS like a different player out there, and playing with Britt can only help.

BD-TomCat

Rookie
I will be the first one to admit to buying into leading the charge on the Quick bandwagon in the past. But what's different from previous camps is there is finally a swagger to him. I mentioned in my report from Sunday that there was a brief exchange between him and Joyner. In past years, Quick having the pass knocked from his grasp and roughed up some, would have tucked his tail between his legs, dropped his head and sulked back to the huddle. NOT SUNDAY. He quickly turned and challenged Joyner, as if to say,, you ain't doing that to me. He finally has the look like he knows he belongs.

He can be seen tossing the ball in the air when on the sideline, where before, he tried to hide behind anyone who would shield him from Coach Sherman. Now he looks to be chomping at the bit to get back on the field. I know all that means squat unless it carries over on Sundays starting in Sept. But I cannot exaggerate the point enough.. he LOOKS like a different player out there, and playing with Britt can only help.

Love the good news on Quick. I think the biggest thing that's going to help Quick this year is Britt. They have the same body type so Britt can give him first hand knowledge on how to use his size. It's one thing when a coach tells you and its another thing when you have seen it applied by a teammate. Cant wait to see these two mash opponents. It will also make our run game stronger

TexRamFan

Rookie
Coach O...Thanks as always.

One of the BIG concerns seems to be the play and lack of depth in the secondary. With the experience you have watching these practices, I am curious what your thoughts are on how much is against the secondary in these practices and if that plays into account with so many of the comments I have read about them. I understand it is still early and once the pre-season begins we should start to get some more answers.

But for now.......the QB is protected and has a significantly increased amount of time to throw with the comfort of being safe...they are transitioning from one D coordinator to a new one (with what sounds to be a totally different plan of attack), the increased amount of blitzing exposes them more, the possibility that Britt has made a big difference on Quick, etc.

Just curious on your thoughts as the more I read about how well the WR are looking, the more I wonder about the secondary and if the WR are making them look bad or if the secondary is making them look good. Thanks in advance for all you do!

FRO

Legend

In his college highlights he showed aggression, confidence, and swagger. I haven't seen that in the pros. Probably because he had a lot of learning to do yet. I'm being optimistic, I try not to but every year I take the plunge.