Camp Report 7/29/14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Coach.... as a Rams fan stuck here in western new york... ( Buffalo Bills country ( Coach Waffle's home town)) I want to tell you how thankful I am for your reports as well as those of hammer and ram-on just to name a few.....I really enjoy them and am very very jealous because I can not attend. .. lol anyway....I was wondering how you feel Barksdale is doing in pass blocking against Long? Is it win some lose some? What is your opinion on Barksdale? What have you seen? Again thank you..... ;)

First of all, thank you for the kinds words, I feel lucky to be in a position to attend these practices and be able to share my observations.

Barksdale has been solid. Your take is pretty accurate,, win some - lose some but not being in pads til Tues makes it hard on all of the OL. He is the one constant right now, and the only starter who is actual getting full reps at HIS position. I think he will just continue to improve, and once Saffold next to him at RG should solidify that side of the line completely.

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
First of all, thank you for the kinds words, I feel lucky to be in a position to attend these practices and be able to share my observations.

Barksdale has been solid. your take is pretty accurate,, win some lose some but not being in pads til Tues makes it hard on all of the OL. He is hte one constant right now, and the only starter who is actual getting full reps at HIS position. I think he will just continue to improve, and once Saffold next to him at RG should solidify that side of the line completely.
That should be a great pairing with Barksdale's continued improvement.

Ram4life11

Rookie
Its still very early to get a real read on how this will shake out. That being said, I will give you my take on each of the RBs and where I think they stand at this point in camp.

Zac Stacy: has showed that he has every intention on holding on to the starting job. I was fortunate to attend one of the OTAs, and Coach Fisher came in after practice and spoke to the group of fans who were there that day. He mentioned that Stacy had a slight bicep strain and was forced to sit out the second half of practice. He strained his bicep earlier in the day in the weight room, lifting 500 lbs. No misprint,,, FIVE HUNDRED POUNDS.

He looks quick and decisive in his cuts, and as long as he holds up physically, should be the guy garnering the bulk of the carries.

Bennie Cunningham: He looks like he came into camp bigger and in much better shape, fully recovered from his 2013 pre-camp injuries. He is in the mix, sharing carries with Mason and Pead (prior to his injury) with 1st and 2nd units. Working on many of the Special Teams, so that bodes well for him.

Isaiah Pead: While I realize I am in the minority here, I think Pead is on this team in 2014. He still is the best pass blocker on the roster, adn has demonstrated his ability as a receiving threat already. He made a play In Sunday's camp that none of the other RBs are capable of making IMO. Running to the flat on a swing pass, he was able to make a shoe string catch while running full speed, and had the presence of mind to see the LB (Bates) closing fast. He made him miss with a jump cut and turned what should have been a incomplete pass, or a 5 yard loss, into a 10 yard gain. It was one of those WOW plays that made me look at Hammer and he just shook his head.

He is still being included on all of the core Special Teams, and (don't shoot the messenger here) that includes fielding kicks. How does his hand injury impact his status? Too soon to tell. IF they are in fact looking for a reason to cut him, this could provide that. But as I said, I think he makes the roster and dresses on Sunday.

Tre Mason: he has been included in the mix as well, although MOST of his reps have come with the 2nd unit thus far. But when he has managed to sneak on to the 1st unit he has shown the flashes that was seen in his college days at Auburn. Has shown to be pretty good as a pass catcher. My biggest concern, and what may separate him from Cunningham and Pead, is his being over matched in pass blocking. Even if the desire is there, he is 5'8 (looks smaller) and 208. He has very little experience to start, and just from a physical stand point, I have my doubts he will ever be proficient in that area.

Trey Watts: He is the biggest RB in camp, and has shown flashes when he has gotten opportunities in the running game. He has busted off a couple of bog runs, albeit against 3rd unit defense that includes the likes of Pat Schiller, Lawrence Wilson and Etienne Sabino at LB. He isn't a very good route runner and seems unsure of himself in the passing game. Don't see him showing up on any of the 1st or 2nd units of Special Teams, so I would say he has a pretty big hurdle to over come to earn a roster spot.

Chase Reynolds: While he is included in the 3rd unit rotation at RB, and getting his share of carries, its whats happening on Special Teams that might speak the loudest about his job security. Especially on the Punt Coverage unit, he is NOT on either the 1st or 2nd unit. While a mainstay last year on ALL ST, this might be a sign that they have finally feel they can replace him with someone who doesn't require a ST only roster spot.

Some factors that may determine who is active on Game day:

I am just spit balling here, and its way too premature to state with any real conviction, but I think the KO return job may go a long way into determining who and how many RBs are on the active roster on Sunday. They haven't worked on any of the Kickoff Return stuff yet, but I would expect that both Bennie Cunningham and Tre Mason being given a chance to win that job. It may come down to which of them wins the job as to who dresses and who is the odd man out.

I just don't see them BOTH dressing. They are too similar in what they bring to the table, so that could be the determining factor.

I fully expect Pead to be there (no shock to anyone who knows my feeling on him) and of course Stacy. Doubtful that dress all 4 of them.
No arguement a there, I'm ready to see these preseason games to see how it all plays out...

A320driver

Rookie

Barksdale has been solid. Your take is pretty accurate,, win some - lose some but not being in pads til Tues makes it hard on all of the OL. He is the one constant right now, and the only starter who is actual getting full reps at HIS position. I think he will just continue to improve, and once Saffold next to him at RG should solidify that side of the line completely.

This is a much clearer picture than some have portrayed in previous reports on this and other sights.
The entire O line is doing just as coach O has stated..loose some win some.
With the older vets having more consistent practices, and guys like Hooey, and Jones, Barnes, etc.
Having a bad day, and then bouncing back to have good days.
I read the ESPN dude say Sam owned hooey, and that hasn't been the case. In the same breath he said Long was killing Barksdale all day as well?
At the end of the day read into everything with a grain of salt..most of the media has an opinion, but no clue.
Trust me your getting better stuff right here from Coach O then your getting anywhere else.
And Iam getting my stuff from the inside out ;)

Alan

Legend
rams56 joining the Blue Crew:
The coach0.....;)
Welcome to the ROD 56! (y) :welcome: :party: :sup: :lifting::seizure: :rockon: :cheers:
We're glad you decided to join the ROD community. ;) The best and most knowledgeable Rams forum there is so there's always going to be some good stuff to talk about here. :)

We frequently use blue font when we're just joking around so if you come across something in that font color don't take it at face value (except when applicable). :LOL:

We also have a members map which shows you where most of our members are. Stop by and pin your location so that we can tell the remaining members of the Hare Krisnas cult where you live. Just remember to spread some caltrops on you front porch and you'll be fine. Probably.

Why don't you also stop by the Re: Introduce Yourself thread and tell us a little more about yourself.
upload_2014-7-31_18-3-25.jpeg
images