Camp Photos and report Aug 1, 2023

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Sorry this is so late but some family issues came up last night and I wasn't able to work on this. Didn't even get to have my Scotch. Oh the horror!

Got to meet up with @RamBall and his wife. Always good to see them. He'll be there on Thursday along with @bubbaramfan and myself.

Check out my pics here:
VRF Aug 1 2023

Our receivers are very good. I'm particularly impressed with Puca. Much bigger than anticipated. He looks like he already knows the routes, can gain separation and has a quickness and some fight in him. Trammell is another who impressed along with D. Robinson. I keep pounding the table to Tutu. He had his opportunities and didn't disappoint. An over the outside shoulder in the corner of the end zone on a frozen rope from Stafford resulted in a TD. Clean separation and had two steps on I believe it was Fuller. Didn't see the Kupp injury but he was what we have come to expect.

QB's are rated as 1, 2 and then some guys. Stafford and Bennett are the guys. Winn and Rypien are scout team quality although I do give the nod to Rypien over Winn. Both Stafford and Bennett had some opportunities to scramble and Bennett is far more maneuverable. Not too many deep balls today so arm strength couldn't be judged for distance. Anticipation was very good from both as was accuracy. Stafford made a medium deep throw to Atwell cutting to the left sideline. Great throw, great route. Only problem Tutu was double covered and his size was not in his favor. Ball was batted away. Maybe next time.

If you check out my album at Google Photo's, you'll see I focused a lot on the interior O line, particularly Steve Avila. I hope the sequences I took are posted the in the correct order so you can see the plays developing.

Avila looks like a rookie. He was used at right and left guard. It seemed his feet were getting out of position a lot. He did pick up a stunt by the DE and LB, while playing left guard, very well and that saved a sure sack.

Bruss was used at right tackle and was also a little weak there. Footwork and balance seemed to be the issue.

Even Noteboom had some bad moments as he manned the left tackle position. Our offensive line is a concern. They need all the reps they can get together in order to start jelling.

The defense is a bit behind the offense at this point but that is the norm for this point in camp. Can't say anyone stood out on the D but them again, wasn't looking to hard at them.

Our place kicker, #49 Brown missed at least one if not two from the mid 40 yard range during 11 on 11. Punter #42 Evans got his punts off in time and they were well placed inside the 20 and close to the sidelines. He looks solid.

This was all from memory as I didn't take any kind of notes. I know I forgot some things I wanted to point out but...maybe next time. Take care and we'll talk later.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Thank you @VeteranRamFan as always for the great report!!

The OL worries me greatly. I have a feeling (just my gut feeling, so don't anyone come screaming at me about it) that Bruss may not be the guy they hoped he was. That would be a costly miss if so, so I am seriously hoping to feast on crow some day over that take.

Puka looks great to me from what I have seen, and your report backs that up!

Bennett doing Bennett things (so far) at this level is encouraging!

Tutu looking fast and "catchy" is music to my ears!

Hoping to hear that the new additions on D are getting better throughout camp.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I know it's early but McVay apparently not impressed so far with our edge rushers as well. Hopefully they step up as they get more reps because if they dont, we are going to be in for a long season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
First padded practice you're gonna have some OL out of synch issues. Not too worried yet as on paper we seem to have enough to field a solid line, but hoping we start seeing them settle in to specific roles given how McVay always sits them in preseason. Way that sched is over the first four we need this line to play well right out the gate.

Appreciate the reports as always Vet. :clinkingbeer:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thank you @VeteranRamFan as always for the great report!!

The OL worries me greatly. I have a feeling (just my gut feeling, so don't anyone come screaming at me about it) that Bruss may not be the guy they hoped he was. That would be a costly miss if so, so I am seriously hoping to feast on crow some day over that take.

Puka looks great to me from what I have seen, and your report backs that up!

Bennett doing Bennett things (so far) at this level is encouraging!

Tutu looking fast and "catchy" is music to my ears!

Hoping to hear that the new additions on D are getting better throughout camp.
O-LINE HATER!!!!!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great report, Vet. Thanks!

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
The Oline for the Rams has never looked good early on in training camp due to all the cross training they do. Patience comes to the wise.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I know it's early but McVay apparently not impressed so far with our edge rushers as well. Hopefully they step up as they get more reps because if they dont, we are going to be in for a long season.
I'm pretty sure the edges were going to be a concern this year. Hoecht is ok with that non stop motor. But his size a better fit as a 4-3 DE than an OLB. Young is going to need some time as you would expect from a 3rd round rookie.

I read that Morris and the other coaches were just as frustrated as we were with the easy pitch and catch cushions they allowed last year. He might try and be more aggressive with the front 7 than in the past. We'll see how that works out.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Thx for the report bro. See you Thurs., Hope you have an extra roster for me.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I read that Morris and the other coaches were just as frustrated as we were with the easy pitch and catch cushions they allowed last year.

Love to hear that! Curious where / when you read that. Don't need the exact source, but context would be interesting.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sorry this is so late but some family issues came up last night and I wasn't able to work on this. Didn't even get to have my Scotch. Oh the horror!

Got to meet up with @RamBall and his wife. Always good to see them. He'll be there on Thursday along with @bubbaramfan and myself.

Check out my pics here:
VRF Aug 1 2023

Our receivers are very good. I'm particularly impressed with Puca. Much bigger than anticipated. He looks like he already knows the routes, can gain separation and has a quickness and some fight in him. Trammell is another who impressed along with D. Robinson. I keep pounding the table to Tutu. He had his opportunities and didn't disappoint. An over the outside shoulder in the corner of the end zone on a frozen rope from Stafford resulted in a TD. Clean separation and had two steps on I believe it was Fuller. Didn't see the Kupp injury but he was what we have come to expect.

QB's are rated as 1, 2 and then some guys. Stafford and Bennett are the guys. Winn and Rypien are scout team quality although I do give the nod to Rypien over Winn. Both Stafford and Bennett had some opportunities to scramble and Bennett is far more maneuverable. Not too many deep balls today so arm strength couldn't be judged for distance. Anticipation was very good from both as was accuracy. Stafford made a medium deep throw to Atwell cutting to the left sideline. Great throw, great route. Only problem Tutu was double covered and his size was not in his favor. Ball was batted away. Maybe next time.

If you check out my album at Google Photo's, you'll see I focused a lot on the interior O line, particularly Steve Avila. I hope the sequences I took are posted the in the correct order so you can see the plays developing.

Avila looks like a rookie. He was used at right and left guard. It seemed his feet were getting out of position a lot. He did pick up a stunt by the DE and LB, while playing left guard, very well and that saved a sure sack.

Bruss was used at right tackle and was also a little weak there. Footwork and balance seemed to be the issue.

Even Noteboom had some bad moments as he manned the left tackle position. Our offensive line is a concern. They need all the reps they can get together in order to start jelling.

The defense is a bit behind the offense at this point but that is the norm for this point in camp. Can't say anyone stood out on the D but them again, wasn't looking to hard at them.

Our place kicker, #49 Brown missed at least one if not two from the mid 40 yard range during 11 on 11. Punter #42 Evans got his punts off in time and they were well placed inside the 20 and close to the sidelines. He looks solid.

This was all from memory as I didn't take any kind of notes. I know I forgot some things I wanted to point out but...maybe next time. Take care and we'll talk later.
I’ll add my 2 cents. Your photo’s it shows what I was saying about Zach Van#51.He was playing hard physical.
Then #92 Johan Williams is looking good & in the starting right now.
Puka is all that you’ve said.AlanT was Returning Punts & looked like he’s the Man ?(right now)
Thanks

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Does it get any better with @VeteranRamFan @bubbaramfan & @So Ram? They are simply the very best!
Bill Murray Point GIF by Justin

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
B. Young had a sack day 2. He looked a lot better. It’s so Early in camp.

Today should be good after taking a day off & getting 2 days of film work in.

Hoecht has been ask to do a lot.Zach Van actually looked faster & more physical than him.

-Not suggesting anything just an observation.The Rams have like 30 plus rookies. AD99 hasn’t even been to training camp yet.

What about Mathias ? I haven’t seen a #32 out there,who is a player I wanted to see.
—Mike Hampton #31 is a interesting player.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Veteran Ram is saying how he watched the Offensive Line.He was saying how poor some players did.
I agree day 2 The defense played better.The offense day 1 from the offensive line looked better.

My point being is if The Offensive Line did bad,why isn’t The Rams Defense getting any credit ?
— Day 1 from My training camp report Joesph Noteboom ate B. Young for dinner & Ajaric Jackson had him for dessert.

-Day 2 Noteboom didn’t look so good & went back to his LAZY WAYS.He seems like he plays on Emotion? I don’t know.I do know I felt the same way about Steve Avila & Noteboom day 2. They didn’t look as GOOD as Day 1.

I think playing Steve Avila at RG is not a good idea either.He looks more comfortable at LG.
Alaric Jackson IMO is The Rams Best RG.

Anchrum looked good at RG Day 1 though & was starting. The different rotations makes it more difficult for the O’Lineman & puts them out if there comfort zone.