Cam Akers. Let's show him some love...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I know I keep harping on how bad Blythe was from time to time but a perfect example of why I believe he was a huge part of the problem last year ...

Watch the play that Cam Akers scored the TD from the wild cat.

Blythe completely whiffed on his block (The Matador strikes again) and fell face forward on the ground and his guy had an open shot at Cam Akers in the backfield. This was a perfect example of what I was talking about. He must have been really good with his line calls for McVay to keep starting him at center throughout the season.

Fortunately Akers made the guy whiff on him and ran right by him. What's funny - because Blythe whiffed on his guy, it might have helped Akers score a TD because the next LB in line, Blythe got in the way.
1626627271968.png

dang

Legend
Yeah and Blythe missed a lot of seals on outside zones too. He was really bad at getting second level the ILBs would run around him. If Corbs can do better there we are gonna see more big runs outside.
watched many a highlight where Blythe was 5 yards downfield from LOS stopped and just looking lost trying to find someone to block. Meanwhile Hav and Edwards are blowing people up.

oldnotdead

Legend
The one who needs some love is Henderson whose stats are every bit as good as Akers, and in fact, he scored more TDs than Cam. The Rams have a true 2 headed monster that produces close to 1,500 yds of offense and 8 TDs out of the position. Who cares if it's one RB or two, it's the positional production that matters, and 1,500 yds is a lot out of the RB position.

I love the fact they have two RBs giving them true depth at RB. One goes out and the offense doesn't miss a beat. IMO time for some love for Henderson. With Funk they another RB built like Akers but much faster. Funk is faster than Gurley who ran a 4.40. The Rams have 3 RBs giving them true depth and speed at the position. It's why IMO Xavier if he makes the team gets bumped to #4.

oldnotdead

Legend
Oh BTW Havenstein matador blocks almost as much as Blythe did. But McVay kept both of them in because he certainly didn't give a damn about Goff. If Goff got hit in 1.8 seconds because Blythe missed a block and threw an INT that was on Jared not Blythe. Last year they had Shelton but brought back Blythe to start in front of Goff and played him all year despite his abysmal performance. Doesn't that show you something about Kromer and McVay?

Now Goff has one of the best centers in the NFL in front of him. No matter who they play at center in LA, Corbett, Allen, or Shelton they are all huge upgrades to Blythe. Why? Because Sean has his boy at QB now.

Center is key when you run between the tackles. On most plays he chips then must get to the second level to make a key block. Blythe has always shown poor field vision. Now with any of the three possible centers, the Rams run game between the tackles and in short yardage should be much better simply because blocks will be made.

Tano

Legend
watched many a highlight where Blythe was 5 yards downfield from LOS stopped and just looking lost trying to find someone to block. Meanwhile Hav and Edwards are blowing people up.
You're completely right on this point.

And yet PFF had him a highly rated center. I just do not see how they could have given him such high marks.

Tano

Legend
Oh BTW Havenstein matador blocks almost as much as Blythe did. But McVay kept both of them in because he certainly didn't give a damn about Goff. If Goff got hit in 1.8 seconds because Blythe missed a block and threw an INT that was on Jared not Blythe. Last year they had Shelton but brought back Blythe to start in front of Goff and played him all year despite his abysmal performance. Doesn't that show you something about Kromer and McVay?

Now Goff has one of the best centers in the NFL in front of him. No matter who they play at center in LA, Corbett, Allen, or Shelton they are all huge upgrades to Blythe. Why? Because Sean has his boy at QB now.

Center is key when you run between the tackles. On most plays he chips then must get to the second level to make a key block. Blythe has always shown poor field vision. Now with any of the three possible centers, the Rams run game between the tackles and in short yardage should be much better simply because blocks will be made.
Yes Havenstein had some difficulty on a few pass rushers last year but his run blocking was superb.

Blythe couldn't run block or pass protect.

I think McVay is awesome but he had a blind spot for Blythe that for the life of me I just couldn't understand.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I don't know about the rest of ya, but this kid pegged my O face meter during the second half of the season. This is a great breakdown and I highly recommend you watch it. This kid is special. That jab step....

View: https://youtu.be/BoYL6znOfCc

View: https://youtu.be/OeXGlNXJeEM

This is a really good breakdown by this guy pretty insightful.

I know this may start a fire storm but here goes, Regarding only running back vision and instincts- Those two attributes only mind you- I believe cam acres is the best running back the Rams have had since Marshall Faulk.

Remember just running back vision and instincts, not overall talent.

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend
You're completely right on this point.

And yet PFF had him a highly rated center. I just do not see how they could have given him such high marks.
PFF not the top at issuing grades for NFL players, not for anyway
train

Tano

Legend
Yeah and Blythe missed a lot of seals on outside zones too. He was really bad at getting second level the ILBs would run around him. If Corbs can do better there we are gonna see more big runs outside.
He was also terrible on second level blocks on inside runs too.

Many times if he got a block on the middle linebacker, Akers or Henderson would have been gone.

dang

Legend
This is a really good breakdown by this guy pretty insightful.

I know this may start a fire storm but here goes, Regarding only running back vision and instincts- Those two attributes only mind you- I believe cam acres is the best running back the Rams have had since Marshall Faulk.

Remember just running back vision and instincts, not overall talent.
Vision advantage goes to Faulk but power running goes to Akers.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
The one who needs some love is Henderson whose stats are every bit as good as Akers, and in fact, he scored more TDs than Cam. The Rams have a true 2 headed monster that produces close to 1,500 yds of offense and 8 TDs out of the position. Who cares if it's one RB or two, it's the positional production that matters, and 1,500 yds is a lot out of the RB position.

I love the fact they have two RBs giving them true depth at RB. One goes out and the offense doesn't miss a beat. IMO time for some love for Henderson. With Funk they another RB built like Akers but much faster. Funk is faster than Gurley who ran a 4.40. The Rams have 3 RBs giving them true depth and speed at the position. It's why IMO Xavier if he makes the team gets bumped to #4.
Agree 1000%. We need our 2 headed monster to just befuddle D's this year. We get that? And our Offense will be phenomenal.

Tano

Legend

more cam akers analysis.

I just watched the first few minutes (at work right now so don't have a lot of time) and I have to give props to Blythe on Akers long run against the 49ers. He actually got a block on a linebacker 6 yards downfield and Akers got free because of it.

If Blythe could have done that consistently, I believe we would have seen quite a few long runs by Akers last year. Our run blocking was actually quite good last year and Blythe was the only weak link.

I am really looking forward to seeing how Corbett plays at center and if he can consistently make a block 6 yards downfield on the middle linebacker to set Akers/Henderson free. If he does, Stafford and the run game is going to be deadly.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On film his speedy/ lateral quickness is amazing. Great cuts against the Hawks.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Yeah, you nailed it. He's definitely not TG. He is, however, amazing in a "phone booth" if you will. Dude always seems to get positive yardage. Patience and vision is what I see a lot from in him. Leveon Bell comes to mind.

That is what impresses me about Akers. He doesn't have the explosiveness a younger Gurley had to take 50 yard plus runs to the endzone. But he has great one cut and go ability. His vision is really good. He doesn't dance around waiting for something to form and take losses. If nothing is there he gets what he can. Some runners want to wait for a hole and take 2 yard losses. Gurley had a tendency to do that. Akers will get two yards in those situations. 2nd and 8 is better than 2nd and 12.