Call Me Crazy, I'd Like To See Heyward-Bey In Horns

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Playmaker

I am not going to blow smoke up anybodies rears. I know Darrius Heyward-Bey is not a great WR. But you know what? He could be what the Rams need. He's a 26 year old 6'2 WR that runs a 4.3 and has 105 Receptions, 1,581 Yards 9 TD's over the past two seasons with the Raiders. Whole averaging 15 yards per reception.

The Raiders released Heyward-Bey due to his large salary and unwillingness to renegotiate. This is a guy that can play outside the numbers as a deep threat. When he actually had a decent QB in Oakland (Carson Palmer 1/2 of 2011, all of 2012) he put up respectable numbers. I would like to see the Rams bring him in to play the Robert Meachem role like Meachem did in New Orleans. Come in during 3 and 4 WR sets, allow Brian Quick to kick inside to the Slot (like Marques Colston does in New Orleans) and let Heyard-Bey play the outside WR.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nah. I'm kinda tired of receivers who can only run the 9-route. I think it's time this Organization started to focus their efforts on finding the next Torry Holt or Isaac Bruce. Givens can do everything Heyward-Bey can do, and is already a little more diverse. Plus, I think we can squeeze a little more than 37 yards per game out of Givens (which is all H-B has given in 4 years).

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Ok I will your crazy ! Lol had to.
That being said not a bad idea if he is cheap

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rabid Ram said:
I don't know how cheap he'd be. His average salary, per year, has been $7.6M. Granted, he's not going to command that kind of salary anymore, based on his production, but I think we could probably get a better receiver in this draft, and significantly cheaper too. Now if the Org wanted to bring him in on a one-year deal to see how he would fit, then I wouldn't have a problem with that so much.

jap

Legend
I like receivers who actually have hands and can gain separation.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
X said:
Rabid Ram said:
I don't know how cheap he'd be. His average salary, per year, has been $7.6M. Granted, he's not going to command that kind of salary anymore, based on his production, but I think we could probably get a better receiver in this draft, and significantly cheaper too. Now if the Org wanted to bring him in on a one-year deal to see how he would fit, then I wouldn't have a problem with that so much.

Id be ok with it as well I think he can produce and develop better here then he did with the faiders. He did way better with palmer who I believe Bradford is better then. Jamarcus Russell was a joke

Playmaker

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Guys, I'm not calling for a 5 year 30 million dollar deal for the guy. I'd like to see a 1 year deal for about 1 million guaranteed with an option for a second year for 1.5 million. Let's remember this is a team with 3 WR's on the roster right now, Chris Givens, Austin Pettis, and Brian Quick. From all indiciations the Rams have zero interest in drafting a WR early. They want to go forward with Brian Quick and Chris Givens as their starters. Fans might not like that, but that is what they are going to do. That means they are looking for depth. Heyward-Bey would be a pretty good #3 WR for the right price.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Playmaker said:
Guys, I'm not calling for a 5 year 30 million dollar deal for the guy. I'd like to see a 1 year deal for about 1 million guaranteed with an option for a second year for 1.5 million. Let's remember this is a team with 3 WR's on the roster right now, Chris Givens, Austin Pettis, and Brian Quick. From all indiciations the Rams have zero interest in drafting a WR early. They want to go forward with Brian Quick and Chris Givens as their starters. Fans might not like that, but that is what they are going to do. That means they are looking for depth. Heyward-Bey would be a pretty good #3 WR for the right price.

There arw several experts and mock drafts that,have us going wr with 16 so not sure where your indications are.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Playmaker said:
Sure, I understand where you're coming from. As I said, taking a flyer on him for one year wouldn't be so bad, but I can already tell what kind of receiver he is, and apparently so can Da Raidizzz. For that reason, I'm pretty sure the Rams aren't interested. They want developmental players who WILL become full-time Rams. Similar to how ALL of Green Bay's receivers are home-grown.

paceram

Pro Bowler
X said:
Playmaker said:
Sure, I understand where you're coming from. As I said, taking a flyer on him for one year wouldn't be so bad, but I can already tell what kind of receiver he is, and apparently so can Da Raidizzz. For that reason, I'm pretty sure the Rams aren't interested. They want developmental players who WILL become full-time Rams. Similar to how ALL of Green Bay's receivers are home-grown.

I don't know what FA WR's are available other than Heyward-Bey and Brandon Lloyd so can you tell me which (if any) FA WR's you would like to see the Rams consider signing? I am probably in the minority but for the right price I wouldn't mind seeing the Rams bring Lloyd back. If my memory serves me correctly he and Bradford seemed to have pretty good chemistry together.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
paceram said:
X said:
Playmaker said:

I don't know what FA WR's are available other than Heyward-Bey and Brandon Lloyd so can you tell me which (if any) FA WR's you would like to see the Rams consider signing? I am probably in the minority but for the right price I wouldn't mind seeing the Rams bring Lloyd back. If my memory serves me correctly he and Bradford seemed to have pretty good chemistry together.
None. I'd rather they draft their own. But if they *had* to go to FA, then I'd want someone who is young, still developing, and fits the scheme. Just signing guys for the sake of signing them never really makes much sense, nor does it really ever pan out that well. Nate Washington would be fine, I guess. I'd just really rather the Rams draft, develop, and keep their own receivers.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
X said:
Playmaker said:

I love that method honestly I would much rather my team draft and mold a reciver to what we want then sign a free agent and have to remold and break bad habits.

Playmaker

I can tell you all with 100% certainty that Brandon Lloyd is a locker room cancer. Going all the way back to his college days at Illinois. He's played in San Francisco, Washington, Chicago, Denver, St.Louis, and New England. Each place made no effort to re-sign him. Two of them released him (Washington, New England) One of them traded him (Denver) and 3 of them did not re-sign him. I have connections with the Denver Broncos organization. This guy did a lot of stirring of the pot in the locker room there in 2011 when there was talk of Tim Tebow replacing Kyle Orton as the starter. Notice how as soon as he was traded from Denver in 2011 is when the Broncos took off and won 8 of 9 games? And if you can't do anything with Tom Brady as you QB, in a year where Gronkowski and Hernandez was hurt a lot, your time is probably up.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Playmaker said:
I can tell you all with 100% certainty that Brandon Lloyd is a locker room cancer. Going all the way back to his college days at Illinois. He's played in San Francisco, Washington, Chicago, Denver, St.Louis, and New England. Each place made no effort to re-sign him. Two of them released him (Washington, New England) One of them traded him (Denver) and 3 of them did not re-sign him. I have connections with the Denver Broncos organization. This guy did a lot of stirring of the pot in the locker room there in 2011 when there was talk of Tim Tebow replacing Kyle Orton as the starter. Notice how as soon as he was traded from Denver in 2011 is when the Broncos took off and won 8 of 9 games? And if you can't do anything with Tom Brady as you QB, in a year where Gronkowski and Hernandez was hurt a lot, your time is probably up.
That ship has sailed, and it ain't comin' back.

Playmaker

X said:

That ship hasn't just sailed (Brandon Lloyd) That ship has sunk like the Titanic.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Playmaker said:
X said:

That ship hasn't just sailed (Brandon Lloyd) That ship has sunk like the Titanic.
I suppose, but he wasn't really a liability for us in 2011. He just doesn't fit the Fisher/Snead model now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd rather have Brandon Lloyd or Nate Washington.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Heyward-Bey cant catch, he had bad hands in college and has bad hands now, so unless you wanna relive the rams 2010 offense, id pass. And Lloyd was only productive 1 year in McDaniels offense. He's 30 something and had 1 very good year, so history says his chances of having another one is slim to none. Last season would have been it becuase he was in McD's offense with Brady throwing the ball.... Pass

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
fastcat said:
Heyward-Bey cant catch, he had bad hands in college and has bad hands now, so unless you wanna relive the rams 2010 offense, id pass. And Lloyd was only productive 1 year in McDaniels offense. He's 30 something and had 1 very good year, so history says his chances of having another one is slim to none. Last season would have been it becuase he was in McD's offense with Brady throwing the ball.... Pass

Im pro Nate Washington hes not a rockstar but he id a solid plug and play