Buffalo Bills fire head coach Rex Ryan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
While I think Rex isn't a great HC, I think firing a guy after two years is counterproductive. He had a chance for a .500 record after 2 years and while that's not great, I think it should allow him the third year. It's not like he inherited a playoff team. That being said I believe they fired him to promote their OC to HC.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://theringer.com/buffalo-bills-fire-rex-ryan-nfl-428163700e1#.8s6gn18q2

Rex Ryan Ruined Buffalo’s Defense
It was the one thing he couldn’t afford to do, and it cost him his job Tuesday
Danny Kelly
Staff Writer, The Ringer

1*gaBsre_gRehv06mWQrezsw.jpeg

(Getty Images)

When Buffalo hired Rex Ryan in January 2015, the Bills were on the verge of finally getting back to the promised land. The last time they’d made it to the postseason was the 1999 season, but after 15 years of futility, there was hope. They’d just finished 9–7 — their best record in a decade and just one game out of the playoffs.

The foundation of that modest success was an elite defense that had finished the previous season first in sacks, third in takeaways, and fourth in yards and points allowed. With their defensive base already solid, Bills owner Terry Pegula looked to Ryan, a still-respected defensive mind despite his 4–12 record with the Jets in 2014, to be its new custodian.

In theory, Ryan would preserve that elite defense — hell, maybe even improve it — then find a way to put together a competent offense (the Bills had finished 18th in points and 26th in yards in 2014), and Buffalo would climb toward the top of the AFC. In other words: They’d be like the Jets teams that Rex had coached to the AFC championship games in the 2009 and 2010 seasons — only better.

Part of that apparent plan worked — just not on the side anyone expected. And so Ryan, along with his brother and assistant head coach for defense Rob, was fired Tuesday morning.

Unlike his tenure with New York, the offense wasn’t the problem. During the same offseason that Ryan arrived, the team signed quarterback Tyrod Taylor and traded for running back LeSean McCoy. In two seasons, the offense transformed into one of the league’s best; it ranks seventh in scoring this season.

Ryan and his staff took the 28th-ranked rushing offense by DVOA in 2014 and turned it into the top-ranked unit this season. Just to emphasize that point: Coming into last week, the Bills’ run game was better than the Cowboys’.

As for the part of the plan where Ryan would strengthen, or at least maintain, an already-elite defensive squad that featured Pro Bowlers Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams, and Mario Williams along with a bevy of young, talented role players? That all went pear-shaped. In two years as the Bills head coach, Ryan did the one thing he absolutely couldn’t afford to do: He ruined the defense.

Buffalo’s loss to Miami on Saturday was the nadir of their fall from defensive grace. The Bills surrendered 261 yards and two touchdowns on the ground, plus another 233 passing yards and two touchdowns to career backup Matt Moore.

In overtime, on Jay Ajayi’s 57-yard scamper, a play that ultimately set up the Dolphins for the game-winning field goal, the Bills had just 10 men on the field. That oversight — an always-avoidable mistake that should never happen, especially not on a such a key play — seemed to be the final straw for a coach who was already on the ropes.

Several reports suggest that Ryan lost the defensive side of the locker room, and while every side has ulterior motives when leaking info about an unhappy situation, Ryan’s defense had devolved into mediocrity. After inheriting a defense that ranked second in overall DVOA in 2014, Buffalo entered Week 16 with the 24th-ranked group. Interim head coach Anthony Lynn will inherit a group that ranks 15th in points surrendered, 20th in yards per play, and 28th in rushing yards allowed.

After starting the season 4–2, Ryan’s Bills lost six of their last nine games to fall out of playoff contention once again. In two years in Buffalo, Ryan finishes with a 15–16 record and zero postseason trips. For the Bills, it’s now 17 years without a playoff appearance — and the team is arguably in worse shape than when Ryan arrived.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
@jrry32 Sadly I think Lynn will be given the reigns in western NY. JMHO

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-anthony-lynn-will-be-the-next-buffalo-coach/

Carucci: “Every indication” Anthony Lynn will be the next Buffalo coach
Posted by Mike Florio on December 28, 2016

The last time the Pegulas hired a coach, they went for a pricey option with experience and a pedigree (a fading pedigree, but a pedigree nonetheless). This time, with three years left on the last coach’s contract, the Pegulas apparently will go for someone who has less experience and, in turn, lower salary demands.

Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News, who appeared on Wednesday’s PFT Live to discuss the firing of Rex Ryan and the search for his replacement, reports that “there’s every indication” that the Bills will make interim head coach Anthony Lynn the full-time coach.

Carucci points out, as he did on PFT Live, that the decision to allow G.M. Doug Whaley to lead the search process (Carucci puts the term “search” in quotations) necessarily limits the universe of candidates to coaches who will accept the fact that Whaley will continue to have final say over personnel.

Lynn falls within that category. Also, he’s a known quantity, given his time with the team and his admirable work as offensive coordinator following the early-season firing of Greg Roman.

Because Lynn is a minority candidate, he could be hired with no other interviews. However, the “search” will nevertheless entail some actual searching, in order to make it appear that Lynn won the competition for the job, even if the competition is engineered to ensure he couldn’t lose it.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Because Lynn is a minority candidate, he could be hired with no other interviews."
Now make no mistake, I am a HUGE supporter of the Rooney rule and applaud the NFL for instituting it, and the Steelers for hiring Mike Tomlin largely due to compliance to it.
However, I find that bolded item to be hypocritical to the nature of the Rooney rule itself.
Sounds like Lynn is the guy, and good for him. But for every Mike Tomlin who benefitted, who's to say a non-minority candidate couldn't make the same impression?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
While I think Rex isn't a great HC, I think firing a guy after two years is counterproductive. He had a chance for a .500 record after 2 years and while that's not great, I think it should allow him the third year. It's not like he inherited a playoff team. That being said I believe they fired him to promote their OC to HC.

I think @Prime Time 's post right below yours says it all as to why he is gone after 2 seasons. When your specialty is defense, and then you wreck a defense that was doing well before you got there, it's harder to justify the 3rd season.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Offense wasn't the problem, defense was. Hiring his brother was a disaster.
On a side note, saying they are starting over again after 2 years is not entirely accurate. Doug Marrone had the team on the right track and he screwed Buffalo over. He exercised an opt out clause thinking he'd get a new contract
If he hadn't quit on Buffalo, they very well might be a playoff team today
Rex was a train wreck from the start and I didn't know then what the Bills were thinking. But the ownership had just changed, Marrone quit on them, they had their first winning season in 10 years and they went for the biggest name they could I guess

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
"Because Lynn is a minority candidate, he could be hired with no other interviews."
Now make no mistake, I am a HUGE supporter of the Rooney rule and applaud the NFL for instituting it, and the Steelers for hiring Mike Tomlin largely due to compliance to it.
However, I find that bolded item to be hypocritical to the nature of the Rooney rule itself.
Sounds like Lynn is the guy, and good for him. But for every Mike Tomlin who benefitted, who's to say a non-minority candidate couldn't make the same impression?

The solution is simple - make sure every team interviews at least 2 candidates. With the Rooney Rule we know one will be a minority candidate. The other whomever who cares. at least it helps solve whatever issues you're alluding to. Maybe?

And I have to say I don't think Lynn's minority status has anything to do with why the Bills want them as their next HC.

With that said Vance Joseph might get an interview with the Rams and be that next Mike Nolan .....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...al-criticism-in-aftermath-of-rex-ryan-firing/

Bills draw universal criticism in aftermath of Rex Ryan firing
Posted by Mike Florio on December 29, 2016

461738342-e1483032179406.jpg
Getty Images

The decision itself is understandable. The decisions surrounding it aren’t.

Rex Ryan is out after fewer than two seasons as the coach of the Bills. He has only himself to blame for making big promises publicly and privately about the team’s performance and then failing to deliver.

But the Bills also have failed as an organization, in numerous ways. And the media seems to generally agree that the Bills have handled the situation poorly.

The Bills handled it poorly by placing and keeping Rex Ryan on an island for multiple weeks, with leaks regarding the eventual terminations (leaks that undoubtedly came from the front office) forcing Ryan and the players to answer tough questions while ownership and management hid. The Bills handled it poorly by summarily dumping Ryan on a Tuesday, only five days before what will be interim coach Anthony Lynn’s on-the-job audition to be hired as Ryan’s replacement.

The Bills handled it poorly by putting G.M. Doug Whaley in charge of the search for a replacement, a move that sends a clear message that the Bills won’t be looking for an A-lister who would want control over the roster and/or his own personnel executive. The Bills handled it poorly by making a smart business decision to bench quarterback Tyrod Taylor but by forcing Lynn to address it while continuing to hide.

Ultimately, ownership bears responsibility for the current state of the team. At a time when few if any media voices are praising the decision to fire Ryan, the decision to keep Whaley, and the decision to let Whaley shape the search for a coach who will accept working with and for Whaley, it’s fair to ask whether Terry and Kim Pegula truly understand what it means to run a sports team successfully.

The football team won’t improve until it removes any and all dysfunction from the organization and develops a true sense of cohesion and unity. There can’t be separate tracks of accountability, and there can’t be an avenue for the likes of Whaley and team president Russ Brandon to blame the coach in order to preserve their own standing. Either everyone succeeds together or everyone fails together.

For now, everyone really is failing together. And that’s primarily because ownership either can’t or won’t realize that firing Ryan and letting Whaley find the next coach while Brandon pulls the strings from above constitutes the kind of half measure that will make it impossible to hire the kind of coach who will return to team to full prominence.

Ownership can continue to hide, but ownership will have a hard time running from the many voices who believe that the team quickly has become one of the most dysfunctional organizations in all of football. Especially since no coach will options will opt to become the next coach to potentially get jerked around the way Rex Ryan did in the final days of his time with the team.