Buffalo Bills fire head coach Rex Ryan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rex Ryan is no longer the head coach of the Buffalo Bills.

Buffalo announced Tuesday that Ryan and his twin brother Rob (Bills assistant head coach) were relieved of their duties. Offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn was named the team's interim head coach.

Ryan finished his first season 8-8, a record which he could have achieved again this year. The Bills(7-8) finish their 2016 campaign against Ryan's former team, the New York Jets, this weekend.

Ryan is now 61-66 as a head coach over eight total seasons. His two playoff appearances with the Jets in his first two seasons (2009 and 2010) stand alone as his only trips to the postseason in his time in charge. TheBills are pivoting toward the offseason early in an effort to find their next head coach.

That starts with a look at Lynn, who was mentioned by NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport as a potential head coaching candidate elsewhere this offseason. Lynn, 48, has been a running backs coach in the NFL since 2003. He was elevated to offensive coordinator of the Bills earlier this season when the team let go of Greg Roman.

Lynn played in the NFL for six years as a member of the Broncos and 49ers.

Buffalo Bills fire head coach Rex Ryan

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
I do not want either Ryan as Head Coach, would be a Fisher nightmare all over again.

If I recall they run 3-4 defense, so they should be out as DC too.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I do not want either Ryan as Head Coach, would be a Fisher nightmare all over again.

If I recall they run 3-4 defense, so they should be out as DC too.

He will not be a Head Coach again being that he's been fired twice, but I disagree about DC, great coordinators adjust their scheme to personnel like Gregg Williams with two linebackers for example. Rams don't run a 4-3, they run a 4-2-5 for example.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Now the Rams have another team to contend with in looking for a new HC.
There may be 1 more in San Diego as well. I thought McCoy would get another year, but after losing to Cleveland, he could be gone

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Jeez. That seems like a bad move by Buffalo after just, what, two years? Guy's a lightning rod (and foot fetishist) but he's a decent enough football coach.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Tyrod Taylor expected to sit for EJ Manuel in Week 17
  • By Marc Sessler
Rex Ryan's sudden firing on Tuesday means plenty of change ahead for the Buffalo Bills -- starting with the team's most important position.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported that quarterback Tyrod Taylor is expected to be benched in favor of backup EJ Manuel for Sunday's season finale against the New York Jets, per team sources.

The Week 17 start would serve as a tryout of sorts for Manuel heading into 2017. That wouldn't have happened under Ryan, who operated as a primary proponent of Taylor and fought to keep him under center, per Rapoport, who added that the coach's firing is "bad news" for the quarterback.

The decision also hovers squarely around money, with Taylor's remaining contract -- a hefty $30.75 million in full -- becoming fully guaranteed if he were to go down with a major injury on Sunday.

Instead of falling into an unwanted financial commitment, the Bills under interim coach -- and possibly future coach -- Anthony Lynn will use Week 17 as a chance to assess Manuel, the former first-round pick who will hit free agency in the offseason.

Ryan's backing of Taylor certainly played a role in his premature dismissal, allowing un-killable general manager Doug Whaley to sit Taylor and get one more look at the quarterback he whiffed on in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Everything we've seen from Taylor -- coming off one of his best games -- suggests a more athletic, accurate and exciting answer under center. Buffalo's front office, though, isn't ready to shake their ridiculous fascination with the mundane Manuel.

That leaves Buffalo's long-suffering fan base clinging to an operation still searching for a head coach and a franchise quarterback. Some things never change.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ylor-expected-to-sit-for-ej-manuel-in-week-17

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I'm willing to bet my entire balance of ROD dollars neither of the Ryan brothers will be on the coaching staff in 2017.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Guys like Rex affect the fortunes of teams in the NFL when they drop back down to the level they should be at: coordinator. He will go to some team and have major impact as DC. It's too bad he runs a 3-4 for that matter, because as a DC he's a quality option.

TexasRam

Legend
Taylor has out played Manual by a wide margin. Whoever is questioning the starter there should be canned.

Some coordinators need to stay Coordinators. The Ryan's are a perfect example.

Let's hope the Rams are being Diligent in the head coach search. Early bird doesn't get the worm if early bird doesn't eat the worm.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
roflbot.jpg

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
My question is can we get Anthony Lynn if Buffalo goes Nuclear in the off season? He had that run game working all year after he took over as OC.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I think Lynn will stay on as Bills HC.

I wouldn't mind us switching to a 3-4, either. Donald could easily play the 3 or 4 technique in a 3-4.

Zero

Pro Bowler
great coordinators adjust their scheme to personnel
Couldn't agree more with your statement on great coordinators.
The reason Fisher did Not hire him as our DC was Ryan's refusal to do just that.
He won't run anything but a 3-4.