Bucky Brooks Breaks It Down: Tre Mason vs.Chargers Defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I really don't know what to think about our RB corps. Every few weeks it's a different guy we're supposed to be excited about. I've decided to wait until one of them becomes our main back for at least a year and a half. Next year Pead comes back too. Frankly, if the blocking is there I'm not sure it's all that important who we have starting. That's knowing that they all have talent of course.

It's been strange but I think the "running back by committee" was overblown. Tre wasn't in the mix as he learned pass protection. Cunningham has been Mr. Consistent. Stacy was just average. Then Tre hit the field and produced every opportunity and showed he could pass block. When they switched to him almost full time he was over 5 YPC. Denver knocked that down some but they were the BEST run D in the NFL and he still exploded on them.

I think it will be 90% TM from here on out unless he fails or gets hurt. Most of the rest goes to Cunningham for the tough yard or two. Stacy is the odd man out and that's a good thing because Stacy IS a solid RB.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I would use Stacy in the second half if the Rams have a lead. Schott likes to run up the middle and if the Rams want to eat up the clock and wear out the D while slowly moving the chains Stacy is perfect for that and it saves wear and tear on Mason.

I'll call Fisher this afternoon and let him know.

As a FF player with Tre in his starting lineup, I would have to disagree!

As a Rams fan, I totally agree. Keep Stacy frosty by playing him. Keep TM fresh when you can. Right now though, with the past blown leads from the Rams, I don't see Fish slowing down until the final whistle.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

As a Rams fan, I totally agree. Keep Stacy frosty by playing him. Keep TM fresh when you can. Right now though, with the past blown leads from the Rams, I don't see Fish slowing down until the final whistle.

I'm not sure about that I think he probably feels like he can finally trust his D to close out games.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I am still calling him and telling him.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm not sure about that I think he probably feels like he can finally trust his D to close out games.

I would agree in certain ways like punt vs trick play or FG vs going for it on 4th, but pulling players? Not this week I don't think. Maybe late in the 4th up by 20 or something but Rams can't give an inch right now.

If Rams clobber SD defensively, that could change fast. We'll need our best players for the post season. ;)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I would agree in certain ways like punt vs trick play or FG vs going for it on 4th, but pulling players? Not this week I don't think. Maybe late in the 4th up by 20 or something but Rams can't give an inch right now.

If Rams clobber SD defensively, that could change fast. We'll need our best players for the post season. ;)

I'd agree with that. Right now if SD spots the Rams a two score lead it's game over unless they magically figure out how to run the ball and protect Rivers from the DL, which is very unlikely. If they have to abandon the run and go to the pass the Rams could get 6-8 sacks.

The Chargers are a pretty good team, but have played a fairly soft schedule so far and I'd bet that the Rams have that coaching staff saying "shit how do we stop that D from beating us".

I totally disagree with Florio's assessment that they should be the favorite based on being at home and having the better QB. They can't run the ball for shit but they better be careful about dropping Rivers back too often because that will backfire. They also can't stop the run very well and the Rams are really getting that part of their O going.

This is a pickem game IMO, the 6 point spread is foolish.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'd agree with that. Right now if SD spots the Rams a two score lead it's game over unless they magically figure out how to run the ball and protect Rivers from the DL, which is very unlikely. If they have to abandon the run and go to the pass the Rams could get 6-8 sacks.

The Chargers are a pretty good team, but have played a fairly soft schedule so far and I'd bet that the Rams have that coaching staff saying "crap how do we stop that D from beating us".

I totally disagree with Florio's assessment that they should be the favorite based on being at home and having the better QB. They can't run the ball for crap but they better be careful about dropping Rivers back too often because that will backfire. They also can't stop the run very well and the Rams are really getting that part of their O going.

It's dropped to 4.5 - 3.5. I could see it going off at 2 or pick em.

RamzFanz

Damnit

The Chargers are a pretty good team, but have played a fairly soft schedule so far and I'd bet that the Rams have that coaching staff saying "crap how do we stop that D from beating us".

I totally disagree with Florio's assessment that they should be the favorite based on being at home and having the better QB. They can't run the ball for crap but they better be careful about dropping Rivers back too often because that will backfire. They also can't stop the run very well and the Rams are really getting that part of their O going.

This is a game where their weaknesses, run stopping, pass protection, play into the Rams strengths. Rivers has been an INT machine some games too. He has just 6 TDs to 6 INTs the last 4 games. With the Rams in his face all day, this could be low hanging fruit for the Rams.

On the other side, as homer as this might sound, Rams don't have any glaring weaknesses. Sure, the O line is suspect but with this stable of reliable pass catchers and Hill getting rid of the ball so fast, I think the Rams are capable of neutralizing the pass rush. It sure worked in Denver.

Alan

Legend
RamzFanz with this take:
It's been strange but I think the "running back by committee" was overblown. Tre wasn't in the mix as he learned pass protection. Cunningham has been Mr. Consistent. Stacy was just average. Then Tre hit the field and produced every opportunity and showed he could pass block. When they switched to him almost full time he was over 5 YPC. Denver knocked that down some but they were the BEST run D in the NFL and he still exploded on them.
When you subtract games when they didn't rush at least 10 times here is what you get:

Stacy Game 1: 11/43/3.9
Stacy Game 2: 19/71/3.7
Stacy Game 3: 12/67/5.6
Stacy Game 4: 11/42/3.8
Mason Game 7: 18/85/4.7
Mason Game 9: 19/65/3.4
Mason Game 10: 14/48/3.4
Mason Game 11: 29/113/3.9

Stacy = 4.2 YPA
Mason = 3.9 YPA

From my perspective, the stats don't support your contention. I think one should also keep in mind the horrendous play play of our O-line early in the season.

Of course stats don't tell the whole story but...